• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Habs Season Thread: 2024-25 Regular Season

Danault is a selke calibre center. I think you really discount the player he is and that's a good fucking hockey player.

Don’t want to overpay a good fukin player who hasn’t been one in the last 50 games , overrated .

You don't exactly have the best track record with talent evaluation. You're issue is that you always have an agenda and it clouds your judgment. That's how I see it anyway.

He’s really not Selke caliber/calibre by current standards either. Sean Couturier is an example of a Selke caliber player today - he scores about 25 more points a season than Danault with similar play in his own end. But Phil’s a good player.

You don't exactly have the best track record with talent evaluation. You're issue is that you always have an agenda and it clouds your judgment. That's how I see it anyway.

This reminds how we absolutely positively had to resign Byron years ago .

But but he scores 20 goals , wheels, PK , defensively solid, OT shootout , etc..

How is that working out now . As GW says , he won’t age well and why get saddled with another player heading into his 30’s at big money .

My agenda is to lock up Suzuki , develop CC

If Dano has to play an important role moving forward , we are fuked.

This reminds how we absolutely positively had to resign Byron years ago .

But but he scores 20 goals , wheels, PK , defensively solid, OT shootout , etc..

How is that working out now . As GW says , he won’t age well and why get saddled with another player heading into his 30’s at big money .

My agenda is to lock up Suzuki , develop CC

If Dano has to play an important role moving forward , we are fuked.
I kind of agree. I think we can move on from Phil if his contract demands remain so elevated.

I like Phil now, I doubt I will like him in 4 years at 5M though. If we can get him signed at around 4x4, I'd probably be ok with it.

If we can get Poehling to develop properly, letting Phil go might not hurt as much.

Phil should have taken that contract. I agree that he can't be overpaid but he's a great defensive center that will put some points up.

Here's my concern due to history.

Danault wants to stay in Montreal. MB wants to keep him. MB plays hardball because of Danault's numbers and the cap. Danaul decides to see what's available in the UFA market and leaves when he gets a better offer (he will get offers, I've no doubt) so we lose yet another asset for nothing ala Markov, Radulov and a whole list behind them.

What MB should do is start renegotiating soon to see if there is a deal to be made and if not, trade his butt for another center or at least a first. He's worth a first rounder in this year's draft.

My preference is to keep him but not at what he wants in salary.
i am not sure anybody is going to have money to sign him this offseason

Back