• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Habs Season Thread: 2024-25 Regular Season

Also 11's contract will really hurts, his new one starts new year.
He already lost a step or two and wasn't the fastest skater before.
4 years was a decent deal for him. The last two will be painful.

So, everyone is noticing the Habs are relying heavily on point shots to create scoring chances (off the rebound). The Athletic asked Julien about this, and he doubled down. Sad that last season’s bubble strategy remains the same, given that the Habs have added Toffolli and Anderson since then.

>>>The Canadiens player with the most shots on goal against the Oilers was Joel Edmundson with six. He had by far the most shot attempts of anyone in the game with 11. Good for Edmundson, because he’s getting pucks to the net. He’s doing his part. But if, as a team, Joel Edmundson is your primary shooter, you have a bit of a problem.

Of the Canadiens’ 38 shots on goal against the Oilers, 16 came off the stick of a defenceman because shift after shift, forwards were curling and looking to feed the point instead of trying to find people in the middle of the ice, and when those shots came from the point, there was no one driving the net to capitalize.

Those point shots are by design, as it turns out.

“This has been going on since the playoff bubble, which I thought served us well,” Julien said. “It served us well at the beginning of the year, too. What I mean by that is that when teams swarm and you have no room down low, you want to move it up high, but you also need to get on the inside. We need guys going to the net, and that’s what’s not happening right now.

Stu from the Gazoo joins in the fun

>>>Is it his fault that the team has looked lost the last four games? He should certainly take a big chunk of the blame. If a hockey team sucks, the coach should admit he’s part of the problem.

But Julien refuses to do that and that’s not a good sign. During his news conference after Thursday’s pathetic 3-0 loss to the high-flying Edmonton Oilers — who are tied with the Habs for second place in the division, though Montreal holds two games in hand — Julien deflected all blame.

“I don’t think it’s the system itself, it’s more us executing properly,” said Julien. “I think when you see our execution come back, those things won’t be in question.”

That’s code for it’s the players’ fault. Uncool. For the first time since Julien arrived behind the bench in his second tour of duty, he has the players. So if they’re not executing, it’s on Julien. A player or two can go into a slump, but not a whole team.

It appears Julien’s not good at adjusting. With the wheels on the bus going wobbly since that terrible game against Ottawa last Thursday, what has Julien done to adjust?

Also 11's contract will really hurts, his new one starts new year.
He already lost a step or two and wasn't the fastest skater before.
4 years was a decent deal for him. The last two will be painful.

the pain will start before that

Stu from the Gazoo joins in the fun

>>>Is it his fault that the team has looked lost the last four games? He should certainly take a big chunk of the blame. If a hockey team sucks, the coach should admit he’s part of the problem.

But Julien refuses to do that and that’s not a good sign. During his news conference after Thursday’s pathetic 3-0 loss to the high-flying Edmonton Oilers — who are tied with the Habs for second place in the division, though Montreal holds two games in hand — Julien deflected all blame.

“I don’t think it’s the system itself, it’s more us executing properly,” said Julien. “I think when you see our execution come back, those things won’t be in question.”

That’s code for it’s the players’ fault. Uncool. For the first time since Julien arrived behind the bench in his second tour of duty, he has the players. So if they’re not executing, it’s on Julien. A player or two can go into a slump, but not a whole team.

It appears Julien’s not good at adjusting. With the wheels on the bus going wobbly since that terrible game against Ottawa last Thursday, what has Julien done to adjust?

Glad that people are finally catching up on this. The reliance on point shots for offense is Julien's system, it's great for Corsi but terrible for actual goals.

Glad that people are finally catching up on this. The reliance on point shots for offense is Julien's system, it's great for Corsi but terrible for actual goals.

I cringed every time Edmundson teed it up last night. We finally have some wingers who can get open in the slot; find them.

I cringed every time Edmundson teed it up last night. We finally have some wingers who can get open in the slot; find them.

I just don't get it, our forwards fight like hell to retrieve the puck, when board battles are not exactly their strongest suit, and when they do get it it's to pass it back to the point only for them to throw it back at the net immediately and now they have to fight to get it back again. If I'm the other team I'm delighted, I'm going to let you do that all game. You won't score more than 1, maybe 2 goals this way.

I just don't get it, our forwards fight like hell to retrieve the puck, when board battles are not exactly their strongest suit, and when they do get it it's to pass it back to the point only for them to throw it back at the net immediately and now they have to fight to get it back again. If I'm the other team I'm delighted, I'm going to let you do that all game. You won't score more than 1, maybe 2 goals this way.

Opposing goaltenders really love it. It's like facing shooting practice...no play to read. Just position yourself properly and you're on your way to getting picked as the game's first star.

I wouldn't go entirely blaming the dmen for shooting like that.....it's not like the forwards are setting up great scoring plays (like for example the Leafs forwards have been doing)

Maybe if the forwards created more chances, rather than ALWAYS circling it back to dmen who have no clear shooting lanes.....

Back