• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

KK Signs Offer Sheet From Canes/Habs Don't Match

They dumped their solid goaltending and Dougie is gone , they could slip this year
They're still a good team. Some think better than last year, I think a bit worse due to question marks but ultimately they're still a playoff caliber team.

thats all he is worth

People are way overrating BT
Some definitely are. I still believe that KK could be the better player in the long run.

I don't know if BT is worth $6.1m right now... but he's currently further along than KK. Which makes sense. He's a winger who isn't being groomed as a 2 way player.

Some definitely are. I still believe that KK could be the better player in the long run.

I don't know if BT is worth $6.1m right now... but he's currently further along than KK. Which makes sense. He's a winger who isn't being groomed as a 2 way player.

He isnt far off from his peak and 6.1 is about right for 6+ years

Svech got 7.75 and is a hell of a player and difference maker

Hope Dorion screws this one up

They have more space. If he's better, why didn't they sheet him?
If you offer sheet Tkachuk, and Ottawa has a ton of Cap space then you'd be betting on Melnyk just not being willing to write the checks. They have more than $20 million in space, so there's no way on earth you slot the contract at a point where it wouldn't come down to that. And even with Melnyk, that's just not a bet anybody wins.

If you're serious about actually prying the player away with an offer sheet then for my money it needs to be a secondary (or lower) player with upside on a team that's already got Cap pressure. Aiming for somebody's best forward (or whatever) is just going to result in the team moving heaven and earth to get the offer matched, and aiming for a player on a team with Cap space is just about guaranteed to be futile unless you over-pay to the point where the whole exercise is ridiculous.

Melnyck is a cheap bastard. The correct answer is KK has more upside. Tkachuk isn't a center, doesn't play a 2-way game like KK, stands in front of the net and acts like a neaderthal.

KK is the better all around player and the league GMs know it.

It's a false equivalency to say that KK is better or viewed as the better player based on him receiving a QO and BT not.

A. Every team is in a different situation with their cap. Ottawa can easily match any offer.

2. We don't know if BT has received any offers and turned them down.
  • Revenge. This definitely played a factor.

To say that KK is viewed as the better player because he got signed an offersheet and BT didn't would mean that he's the best unsigned RFA in the league.

Melnyck is a cheap bastard. The correct answer is KK has more upside. Tkachuk isn't a center, doesn't play a 2-way game like KK, stands in front of the net and acts like a neaderthal.

Agreed but only if his offence picks up considerably

BT will be a 25-30 goal 50-60 point player for the next decade

KK will need to be at least a decent 2C in the 50 point range

Melnyck IS a cheap bastard, but are you willing to bet he's cheap enough not to match a relatively reasonable offer sheet for Tkachuk? Or are you willing to grossly over-pay for a player that has probably already shown his ceiling? I mean, for me it's a no in both cases ... and that's not even comparing to anyone, let alone KK specifically.

He's walked away from big money before. I suspect he could easily do it again.

Agreed but only if his offence picks up considerably

BT will be a 25-30 goal 50-60 point player for the next decade

KK will need to be at least a decent 2C in the 50 point range
He will be. D and C take longer. You know that.

They don't have to offer him a QO, they can take him to arbitration instead. That's my understanding.
You need to give him the QO for the player to be elligible to go to arbitration. Sens didnt give Duclair a QO cause they were scared how much he'd cost if he decided to go to arbitration.

You need to give him the QO for the player to be elligible to go to arbitration. Sens didnt give Duclair a QO cause they were scared how much he'd cost if he decided to go to arbitration.

No, there is player elected arbitration and team elected arbitration. Teams can elect to take a player to arbitration no later than 2 days after the Stanley Cup final. Past that window you need to offer a QO or lose the player.

You match the offer , if regime thinks he is a 50-60 point player

They are trying to do some roster juggling somewhere or they would of matched by now
I think it's more looking for another center and also staying quiet to big KK and Carolina.

I think it's more looking for another center and also staying quiet to big KK and Carolina.
Oh, for sure. If you're matching there's no rush and you'd be dumb to show your cards if you're trying to make other deals ... or at least confirm that they'd be do-able. This thing about everybody needing to respond in detail to everything straight away is dumber than dirt. If you have time, you use it if it helps you.

Yup. Plus the petty bonus of having a 21 year old kid sit on pins and needles because you just know he is, we were all 21 once.

Back