• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

KK Signs Offer Sheet From Canes/Habs Don't Match

An NHL executive source has confirmed to Boston Hockey Now and National Hockey Now that Dundon “basically ordered” Waddell to make the offer sheet to the 2018 third overall draft pick.

“This was pure ego pleasure by an owner who has no idea what he’s doing,” the source said. “Take a look at what they have coming up to sign. Dundon royally f…ked Waddell here. This is what happens when an owner doesn’t understand how to run a team and doesn’t let the hockey people do their jobs.”

They tried to trade for him first, which the story does not mention, which distorts what happened.

They tried to trade for him first, which the story does not mention, which distorts what happened.
I think Waddel hope they pull another Taravainen (even if it's Francis who got him). Back then, Chicago traded him because he was not developping as fast ast they hoped for and he became a 60-70 points guy for the canes. It's clear the canes hopes to repeat this with KK.

It's really hard to evaluate guys like that at this age. A lot of other player were going nowhere at 21 and by 23-25, finally fount their rythm. Let's home we didn't make a mistake here.

I think Waddel hope they pull another Taravainen (even if it's Francis who got him). Back then, Chicago traded him because he was not developping as fast ast they hoped for and he became a 60-70 points guy for the canes. It's clear the canes hopes to repeat this with KK.

It's really hard to evaluate guys like that at this age. A lot of other player were going nowhere at 21 and by 23-25, finally fount their rythm. Let's home we didn't make a mistake here.

Great comparison with TT , took off when given the opportunity to play

Wouldnt surprise me if he KK emerges this year

Even if KK does develop into a 2nd line forward for the Canes, there is no guarantee that would have happened with the Habs. There just is no way to know how things would have ended up.

I think the Canes are hoping KK can, in the coming years, fill Vincent Trocheck or Jordan Staal's current roles. The $6.1 million over the top contract was necessary to have any shot of the offer sheet succeeding. If KK just looks like a lost cause this coming season, it costs the Canes those picks and big cash for one season and they will simply find a way (trade, re-sign for 1 year short money or not offer QO and walk away) to move forward. Its a risk/reward play for the Canes.

Its not a huge risk for the Canes to take as there is no big long term commitment. The upside might be high, or KK might just really be a meh 3rd line 30 point guy at best. Either way the Canes are not tied to him long term at the moment.

Even if KK does develop into a 2nd line forward for the Canes, there is no guarantee that would have happened with the Habs. There just is no way to know how things would have ended up.

I think the Canes are hoping KK can, in the coming years, fill Vincent Trocheck or Jordan Staal's current roles. The $6.1 million over the top contract was necessary to have any shot of the offer sheet succeeding. If KK just looks like a lost cause this coming season, it costs the Canes those picks and big cash for one season and they will simply find a way (trade, re-sign for 1 year short money or not offer QO and walk away) to move forward. Its a risk/reward play for the Canes.

Its not a huge risk for the Canes to take as there is no big long term commitment. The upside might be high, or KK might just really be a meh 3rd line 30 point guy at best. Either way the Canes are not tied to him long term at the moment.

Minimal risk , good move on their part

Teravainen only was dealt because Hawks were desperate to get Bryan’s Bickells (&”$5M) cap hit off the books, there were no takers and Francis wouldn’t budge unless TT was included in the deal. Hawks relented because TT was looking more & more like a W and not a C

Excellent. Found an upgrade on Danault. Probably have enough internal options to slightly better KK and Staal.

The center position is certainly upgraded from years past.

The team's ability to make the playoffs will come down to decent improvements from Suz and Romanov, + Caufield being around the entire year. AND of course Carey being healthy.

I'm ok with losing KK....

I'm not ok with how we develop our youth, or how we go about doing business.

Case in point: Canes wanted KK, they overbid to make sure they got him. Unlike the Habs who made a soft puff offer sheet for Aho.

If we really wanted Aho, you overbid....9-10M offer sheet. A franchise 1C, clearly worth it....you over pay. WTF, how do we do business is insanely stupid.

Imagine Aho-Suzuki as your duo for next 10-15 years....complain all you want about overpaying for KK at 6.1, but they made sure they got him.

Habs are the type of franchise that would have made an offer sheet of 7M for McDavid, while other teams are offering 10-12M

Case in point: Canes wanted KK, they overbid to make sure they got him. Unlike the Habs who made a soft puff offer sheet for Aho.

If we really wanted Aho, you overbid....9-10M offer sheet. A franchise 1C, clearly worth it....you over pay. WTF, how do we do business is insanely stupid.

Imagine Aho-Suzuki as your duo for next 10-15 years....complain all you want about overpaying for KK at 6.1, but they made sure they got him.

Habs are the type of franchise that would have made an offer sheet of 7M for McDavid, while other teams are offering 10-12M

Other teams dont offer sheet players

KK didnt say it in so many words .....player development problemo

Bergevin never really wanted Aho. What he wanted was to appear as though he was trying when in fact his plan was to do next to nothing. He knew that his offer for Aho was going to be dead on arrival. He just wanted to feed some red meat to the media and fans so he could say "I tried".

Bergevin never really wanted Aho. What he wanted was to appear as though he was trying when in fact his plan was to do next to nothing. He knew that his offer for Aho was going to be dead on arrival. He just wanted to feed some red meat to the media and fans so he could say "I tried".
yes...but getting Aho solves almost all his problems in 1 move....

I never understood why billionaires hire guys with high school education to run their multi-billion dollar businesses. There must be a reason Julien Brisebois is doing great in Tampa....most GMs are clueless, they react instead of being pro-active. Bergevin always reacts, never plans ahead

Canes wanted KK obviously

Back