• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Laval Rocket Thread

The hockey world is lousy with bottom 6 forwards, third pair defensemen, and career backup goalies. We should be able to find what we need easily and cheaply. What's not so cheap and easy is finding players who can score goals. Our first round pick needs to be a scorer and if one isn't available we need to trade the pick for a scorer.

That should be the easiest thing to build. Need to trade the D for top 6 potential

That would require a blue chipper and picks. Which is clearly an option.

But we can’t neglect the bottom 6. It absolutely undermines the team. It seems an easy fix, but look at the junk we have now.

I think it needs to be addressed meaningfully starting this off-season.

Besides Reinbacher, all of our D should be made available for trade.

There's a crying need for forward prospects and there's no solution to that problem beyond making a trade.

Not sure who’s a good trade partner though
I looked over the list of RFAs and the most attractive player for me (based on how this organization is moving towards making the playoffs sooner rather than later) is Martin Necas. Just turned 25, pending RFA with one year before he turns into a UFA.

Every single d-man they have on the current roster is going to be a UFA either this summer or next summer. While Carolina has two excellent D prospects in Morrow & Nikishin, they'll soon be in dire need of some younger legs on defense.

Besides Necas, not that many interesting choices from this year's crop of RFAs. I like Quinten Byfield, but I'd be beyond shocked if LA were to trade him. Best shot we had at getting him was last summer.

Next year's crop, however? A lot more interesting choices available, although I'll grant you that it's mostly because the teams aren't allowed to re-sign them yet. But two names that seem interesting for me: Dylan Guenther & Wyatt Johnson. I don't think either one is going anywhere, but in the off chance that they were...

As for low risk, cheap risks? Xavier Bourgault is another prospect that Deadmonton doesn't seem to be able to get the best out of. Maybe we could trade one of our prospects that has fallen out of favor for him, similar to the Mysak-Perreault trade.

Necas would be good. I wonder is the Rangers would still be open in dangling Lafreniere, they could use some help on defense. Not sure I trust Laffy in Montreal though, pressure would probably be too much.

Necas would be good. I wonder is the Rangers would still be open in dangling Lafreniere, they could use some help on defense. Not sure I trust Laffy in Montreal though, pressure would probably be too much.
Like Byfield, the time to trade for him was last summer when the value was low. Now, though, he's going to cost way too much to get him.

If we had traded for him last summer, the hype around him wouldn't have been bad because he wouldn't have been seen as the savior. They would have acquired him when the value was low and a salvation project.

I've always been a fan of Lafrenière and I've never quite understood why it didn't work out in New York. It's finally coming together for him, though.

Rangers were never going to sell Laffy low last year, same for Byfield. It’s still unlikely that he’s going to live up to the hype, but he’s more of a known value now.

Back