• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

New Canadian Politics Thread

BC just happened. so did NB.

SK is coming, but I dunno when.

and there are rumours that Houston is gonna call an early election in NS, in November. and rumours Dougie is gonna do the same in the spring.

feel like Smith and Kinew were elected fairly recently?

dunno about Legault, Furey, and whoever is in charge in PEI...
Smith has like 4 more years. Though nenshi might make things interesting. Edmonton and Calgary going 100 percent NDP...

She's not a Liberal. She's a BC Liberal. The BC Liberals were a haven for every disgraced So-Cred and federal Tory politician. The BC United Party, as it' now called, supported the BC Cons in the provincial election. Christy Clark becoming leader of the federal Liberals would be like Boris Johnson running for the leadership of the Labour Party.
The "other Gordie" took advantage of the opportunity given to him (television debate) & the provincial Liberal party moved to unheard of heights (from the political wilderness to being the official opposition in short order). But he couldn't keep it in his pants and soon lost the leadership to the other "I should've listened to Kim Mitchell & go for a soda" Gordie:

8aba3-p__mugshot-gordon-campbell.jpg

Most/many of the people that worked for BC Liberal party campaigned for the Conservative party in Federal elections. The connections were that deep.

Federal Libs should be taking note. It's not a good idea to let an extremely unpopular leader lead you to a slaughter. At a certain point of shit kicking you get relegated to the fringe, and it's tough to come back from that .

Pick a sacrificial lamb and limit the damage as best you can.

if america manages to stay lib this election, along with the recent major euros, but canada and ontario all go heavy conservative grifter....it'll be nice boost to any nascent plans to live abroad.

Smith has like 4 more years. Though nenshi might make things interesting. Edmonton and Calgary going 100 percent NDP...
I'm already getting weekly mailers about how bad Nenshi will be as Premier. And it's the same playbook. A picture of Nenshi shaking hands with Trudeau and the unwritten caption "Riiiiiight?"

for sure, but on its face, looks pretttty bad for LPC

I'm going to assume for the moment that this only exists at the face level. Best guess without any digging is that there is already a RCMP/CSIS investigation underway amd this would either fuck with that or at minimum provide no additional benefits but just take more time, cost more money, etc. Political theater.

I'm going to assume for the moment that this only exists at the face level. Best guess without any digging is that there is already a RCMP/CSIS investigation underway amd this would either fuck with that or at minimum provide no additional benefits but just take more time, cost more money, etc. Political theater.
the Trudeau government has not done anything with respect to foreign interference that would allow me to give them the benefit of the doubt.

but I am interested in figuring out what is actually going on, beneath the surface

the Trudeau government has not done anything with respect to foreign interference that would allow me to give them the benefit of the doubt.

but I am interested in figuring out what is actually going on, beneath the surface
trying to fully understand what happened here is illustrating quite clearly the journalism challenges facing our country.

cannot find any reporting on it. leaves us with only the politicians versions of events...

Back