• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

No Excuses No Limits! The mother fucking goddamn season thread

yeah I think the accrual and pro-rated salaries are separate, if that is what you're getting at?

i.e. any salary we acquire at the deadline would increase our cap based on the %ge of the season left. so if there are 1/3 of the games to be played, we acquire 1/3 of the cap hit. that's my understanding at least but I'm not sure if it is correct.

yeah i am probably just needlessly confusing the issue.

I just want to be sure that $4.4m in LTIR room is still enough to bring in $12m or whatever in annual caphit at the deadline. i.e. so it still makes sense to wait until the deadline to lower that incoming caphit?

I just want to be sure that $4.4m in LTIR room is still enough to bring in $12m or whatever in annual caphit at the deadline. i.e. so it still makes sense to wait until the deadline to lower that incoming caphit?
gotcha. I think that is correct. closer you wait till the deadline, less of a cap hit you acquire, which is prorated. but the LTIR space is not similarly pro-rated. but again, I haven't read the CBA, this is just my understanding of how it works

gotcha. I think that is correct. closer you wait till the deadline, less of a cap hit you acquire, which is prorated. but the LTIR space is not similarly pro-rated. but again, I haven't read the CBA, this is just my understanding of how it works

yeah i think i'm just confusing myself.

Muzz on ltir last year didn't make any of the caphit stuff work any differently.

No I’m pretty sure that’s wrong. If you’re under the cap then you accrue the excess cap space daily and can apply that in full to a future addition. So, if you’re 4m under the cap then you can add salaries worth $15m at the deadline.

When you ltir players you don’t fall under the cap - you’re just allowed to replace the salary without going over the cap.

That’s why teams that spend and who have big ltir hits spend right to the cap as it maximizes the ltir benefit.

Cliff notes on this 3000 word essay so no one has to make the mistake I did and skim this:

-Leafs have been linked to noted tough Russian masculine man Zadorov. Some have been calling him a star d man ever since the Leafs became interested. Accordingly, he or any other dman will cost everything.

-The Leafs have no draft picks, so they're fucked. Unless they empty the cupboards, in which case they're also fucked, just in the future. Here are two random teams with way more draft picks than the Leafs to show you how fucked they are.

-The Leafs have no prospect depth. So they're fucked. Just look at how few picks they've made compared to this one rebuilding team. Bonus shot: Colorado and Vegas didn't make many picks lately either, but they won cups...toronto won one round lulz

-Conclusion: Toronto is fucked and can't upgrade, and also their future is fucked.

Bonus add on!: Willy is gonna get paid, means the Leafs cap is fucked.

Well written and straight to the point, much better than the regular tripe that gets printed/published. You should do well as a sports writer.

No I’m pretty sure that’s wrong. If you’re under the cap then you accrue the excess cap space daily and can apply that in full to a future addition. So, if you’re 4m under the cap then you can add salaries worth $15m at the deadline.

When you ltir players you don’t fall under the cap - you’re just allowed to replace the salary without going over the cap.

How did we take on so much caphit at the deadline last year with Muzz on LTIR?

the leafs were right up at the cap limit last year using LTIR space, but added ROR at $1.875, McCabe at $2.0, Acciari $1.25, Lafferty $1.15.

That’s why teams that spend and who have big ltir hits spend right to the cap as it maximizes the ltir benefit.

not really - the leafs needed to maximize the ltir benefit just to help make in season call ups and such.

Does anyone pay for capfriendly premium?

Their archive tells us exactly how much of ROR and McCabe's etc caphits counted against our cap last year with muzz on ltir.

according to spotrac here, even though we were using LTIR we still only paid a pro-rated share of the trade deadline adds' caphits.

So ROR at 25% was a $1.875 hit, but the actual caphit against us was $557,483.

McCabe $2.0m ---> $497,297
Acciari $1.25m ----> $371,622
Lafferty $1.15m ---> $285,946
Schenn $0.85m ---> $206,757
Gus $0.80m ------> $194,595

according to spotrac here, even though we were using LTIR we still only paid a pro-rated share of the trade deadline adds' caphits.

So ROR at 25% was a $1.875 hit, but the actual caphit against us was $557,483.

McCabe $2.0m ---> $497,297
Acciari $1.25m ----> $371,622
Lafferty $1.15m ---> $285,946
Schenn $0.85m ---> $206,757
Gus $0.80m ------> $194,595
You’d still pay those adds and count their hits prorated based on the daily rate.

But to draw this out … muzzin 5.5 hit

ROR, McCabe acciari were 5.2

Plus they dumped engvall and sandin who I think combined were 4.1.

Also - muzzin wasn’t ltir off the bat. To start the year they were at or under the cap with muzzin counting in full. This year they started the year with 10m on ltir - that was baked in from the started.

You’d still pay those adds and count their hits prorated based on the daily rate.

But to draw this out … muzzin 5.5 hit

ROR, McCabe acciari were 5.2

Plus they dumped engvall and sandin who I think combined were 4.1.

yeah I think i'm overcomplicating this.

all the caphits existing or new have to fit under 83.5. that's it.

If we pare our roster down to 20 guys that gives us $4-4.5m in available cap to add, and then add in the salary of the player being replaced in that 20-man lineup on top of that.

I have a sneaking suspicion if we'd ever pulled a Kucherov situation, the league would find a way to put a stop to it immediately.

The Robidas island stuff... well, I do think NHL bodies do break down and they aren't the same player anymore, but at least everyone we've Robidas'd has just... never played hockey again.

Back