• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

No Excuses No Limits! The mother fucking goddamn season thread

It strikes me that since anyone who looks at these only skims them at best, I should explain that the colour grades are actually on different scales for these following two charts.

For the first chart of plain xGF%, I "grade" the players on a tougher scale because we want the team to be elite, not average. So I have anything from 50-55% as colorless i.e. average, anything below 50% as orange i.e. below average and anything under 45% as red i.e. realbad. And then anything over 55% as light blue i.e. above average and anything over 60% as dark blue i.e. realgud. This is a scale set to measure the leafs against a "top team" scale, not just a "league average" scale. Set against league average, Knies would be the only starting skater in orange, with the 4th line the only starting skaters in red.

But for the xgfrel on the 2nd chart, those numbers are just compared within the team itself, so have nothing to do with comparing to the league, so here average/colorless is set at 47.5-52.5, orange/below average at 42.5-47.5, light blue/above average at 52.5-57.5, and realbad/red and realgood/darkblue as below or above those. And as you can see, Knies is the only starter in orange and the 4th line the only starters in red.

!!.png

min 5min:

Lagesson:

w/Benoit: 54min, 71.4xgf%, 50.0gf%
w/Klingberg: 30min, 21.1xgf%, 00.0gf% (lmao)
w/Rielly: 18min, 46.1xgf%, 48.6gf%
w/Brodie: 14min, 49.2xgf%, 00.0gf%
w/Giordano: 13min, 39.2xgf%, 00.0gf%
w/McCabe: 8min, 94.6xgf%, 100.0gf%

Benoit:

w/Lagesson: 54min, 71.4xgf%, 50.0gf%
w/Brodie: 9min, 64.0xgf%, 50.0gf%
w/Rielly: 8min, 23.7xgf%, 50.0gf%
w/Timmins: 6min, 76.1xgf%, 50.0gf%

Timmins:

w/Lagesson: 11min, 21.5xgf%, 00.0gf%
w/McCabe: 8min, 64.2xgf%, 50.0gf%
w/Benoit: 6min, 76.1xgf%, 50.0gf%
w/Rielly: 6min, 59.7xgf%, 100.0gf%
w/Brodie: 5min, 71.4xgf%, 00.0gf%

It'll be interesting to see what Keefe does here. Timmins is not fully up to speed but he's getting better every game. Benoit has been very solid, but pairing him with McCabe as a pseudo defensive pairing could really expose both of their clumsy hands. I'd lean towards pairing both of them with more handsy guys. Then again a lot of the decision might come down to whether we prefer McCabe or Lagesson playing on their right side. McCabe has looked more than comffy there, and the Benoit-Lagesson pair was more than fine too.

I wouldn't split up Rielly-Brodie either i don't think.

I would probably go with this to start:

Rielly - Brodie
McCabe - Timmins
Benoit - Lagesson

McCabe is fast with no hands, Timmins is slow with hands. They should balance each other. And Timmins is rusty and not up to speed, but at the same time he has the most realistic top-4 upside, so hopefully the rust is almost off now.

Benoit-Lagesson is also complementary and have dominated bottom pair minutes so far, so that's fine to keep together.

Of course we could reunite the Brodie-McCabe matchup pairing, which dominated during the regular season and was mostly very good in round 1, before imploding by the end of the playoffs. They could take the heavies, freeing up a Rielly-Timmins offensive pairing.

Yup, this is a staple of this Leafs core.

Garbage against bad teams, and particularly vulnerable in the playoffs (MTL, CBJ).

Back