• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

No Excuses No Limits! The mother fucking goddamn season thread

Leafs vs:

Top 8 Teams: 13gms, 101pt pace, +.38gpg
2nd 8 Teams: 13gms, 107pt pace, +.43gpg
3rd 8 Teams: 14gms, 129pt pace, +1.29gpg
4th 8 Teams: 17gms, 92pt pace, +0.18gpg

If you rank each division slot against each other from 1 to 4, and total up the ranks, so that the lower number is better, the divisions come out like this:

ATL 13
MET 20
CEN 21
PAC 26

The Atlantic is #1 in slots 1, 2, 3, 5, 8. It's #2 in slots 4, 7. It's #4 in slot 6.

The 5v5 defense, which everyone seems to think is dire and the leafs need to apparently add 2 good dmen and some checking forwards to fix, is now smack dab league average by xga, and comfortably above average by goals against.

But that doesn't tell the whole story. They have a 2.53xga/60 5v5 without Klinger in the lineup, which ranks just about right at #10 or #11.

And over the last 25gms, since they started to get their shit together after that dire post-christmas "easy sked" stretch, they've bumped that to 2.35xga/60, good for 6th best overall.

I'm here for a Woll + Healthy Murray tandem for game 1.

Would be pretty tough to do that when the cap likely prevents you from giving Murray any NHL starts before the beginning of the playoffs.

Though if he isn’t in fact dead and wants to resume his career, maybe they toss him a 1 year/NHL minimum deal to battle for the #2/3 spot for us next season.

Would be pretty tough to do that when the cap likely prevents you from giving Murray any NHL starts before the beginning of the playoffs.

Though if he isn’t in fact dead and wants to resume his career, maybe they toss him a 1 year/NHL minimum deal to battle for the #2/3 spot for us next season.

I don't trust Sheldon to ever try anything remotely risky with his lineup, but if Woll was bumpy, I'd have no rope for Sammy. He's a fumbly, scrambly mess in the crease. If we can find a way to conditioning sting Murray before the playoffs without it affecting our cap, try that and see how he does. If he looks fine, like I said, no rope for Sammy. Bad game and banished to the pressbox.

Funny thing is, Spector’s actual take isn’t much better:

View: https://x.com/sportsnetspec/status/1762185186538836172?s=46&t=slvKDnX1n9ri7D4jpSVVzA

…and honestly, I’m surprised that the earth didn’t collapse into a black hole when two people as dense as Simmons & Spector got together in the tweet above.

Also curious about the “less glamorous elements”. Since if we’re talking about two-way play and defensive ability, Draisaitl & McDavid would never be allowed anywhere near the Hart if that was a requirement. Whereas Matthews is one of the best in that department.

But he’s probably talking about secondary assists instead.

Ok found the issue. He's into foal scoring. Like equine pedo shit. All is explained with Spector now

It's hard to rank teams by Net Rating, because the decisions on the last couple roster slots can make such a huge swing either way. Playing Timmins over Benoit adds +10 to the team's Net Rating for example, and dropping Reaves for Holmberg does about the same.

Even then, when I put together the rosters as best i can, it looks like, after falling into a clear 2nd tier for a while there, they've now climbed back up into the group of elite contenders. With something like a +75-85 Net Rating, that puts them right there with all the other contenders.

The only team that has a significant gap on the rest at the top is the Oilers, who come in around +95. But I still don't believe that Hyman is the best winger in hockey, or that Bouchard is the best dman in hockey, so i'm pretty sure net Rating is short-circuiting a bit there.

Of note, of the teams at the top of the standings, Net Rating is pretty sure one of them is nowhere near a contender - and that's the Rangers, which it thinks is a very average team.

The 5v5 defense, which everyone seems to think is dire and the leafs need to apparently add 2 good dmen and some checking forwards to fix, is now smack dab league average by xga, and comfortably above average by goals against.

But that doesn't tell the whole story. They have a 2.53xga/60 5v5 without Klinger in the lineup, which ranks just about right at #10 or #11.

And over the last 25gms, since they started to get their shit together after that dire post-christmas "easy sked" stretch, they've bumped that to 2.35xga/60, good for 6th best overall.
I've never been too concerned about the D from the D. I want another guy who can create some O from the D, like Hanifin.

yeah I actually believe Murray could go on a massive heater for us in the playoffs

c4dfeb00e7808f47c086e47b2bf8f18b.jpg

I don't trust Sheldon to ever try anything remotely risky with his lineup, but if Woll was bumpy, I'd have no rope for Sammy. He's a fumbly, scrambly mess in the crease. If we can find a way to conditioning sting Murray before the playoffs without it affecting our cap, try that and see how he does. If he looks fine, like I said, no rope for Sammy. Bad game and banished to the pressbox.

It’s funny, my initial reaction to your Murray idea was that it was insane.

And for some reason I thought Samsonov had been generally OK lately. But even though the team’s won his last six starts, he’s still rocking an .896 SV% in that stretch.

And then there’s Jones who, after his hot start, has been sub-.900 in six of his last eight starts.

Winning really does mask a lot. And we probably should pray to some imaginary deities for Woll & Murray.

Back