• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

No Excuses No Limits! The mother fucking goddamn season thread

Absolutely hilarious management. Signing him was the main reason they couldn't add another top tier d man. And now they're gonna trade him for pennies. You can tell right away, based on how he spoke about it, that Tre reluctantly signed the player and he was never actually in the plans.

kinda true but not really - losing Lilly gets them under the cap but not with a lot of space for other signings. And the depth signings this year have been pretty lean - hakanpaa at less than 1.5 is the fattest depth contract, so it's not like money's been wasted there.

It would still take moving Kampf and Krok to free up any real capspace.

kinda true but not really - losing Lilly gets them under the cap but not with a lot of space for other signings. And the depth signings this year have been pretty lean - hakanpaa at less than 1.5 is the fattest depth contract, so it's not like money's been wasted there.

It would still take moving Kampf and Krok to free up any real capspace.
Yes I said main reason, not only reason. With an ounce of creativity they could have signed Roy instead of OEL or tanev. As soon as they signed Liljegren, that was impossible tho.

Pretty sure they signed Lilly/OEL after they lost out on Roy.
They did. But the point is they rebuilt their d by signing a 33 year old and a 35 year old because they didn't want to pay an extra 1m or so on a 29 year old, who by all accounts was open to playing in Toronto. And then they paid $3m to a guy that they clearly hate and that completely locked in their lineup. 0 creativity. They're gonna have to rebuild their d entirely again in 1-3 years. Which would be fine if the team was good enough right now, but it probably isn't.

ah yeah I take it back they could definitely have fit a Roy in even without moving kampf or krok. my bad.

OEL's such a tough call. Sometimes I see his contract number and see BARGAIN, other times i look at it and see CAP ANCHOR.

True that OEL ended up in a sheltered role last year on a very good team, but a) he was almost certainly better than Mikkola, who played ahead of him only for style balance on the pairings and b) the best part of his season was arguably the first two months when he was getting top pair minutes and usage while montour and ekblad were injured, and c) he's spent most of his career in legit #1D usage, but d) in the end we only know that on the season as a whole he was only good in a slightly less than true top 4 role and e) he's 33 and signed thru 36.

The problem with their d corps is that it's only downhill from here. For all of them. Mo, OEL, Tanev, McCabe. All lovely players. There's just no upside. We just don't know what the starting point is yet. It's a perfectly nice top 4 potentially at this point. But it better start at a real high point because it's aging and only getting worse from here.

Unless a kid appears in the next year or two to push one of them out of course.

so while i'm still boiling over us starting the year with a garbo 4th line again there's two big instant feedback points which have me hopeful....

1. Kampf was actually used as just a 4C in game one. 9:43toi. Much less than Holmberg's 12:10. I'm not sure Holmberg got as many minutes as Kampf in even one game last year.

2. Reavo out in game 2 and not Robby....even though the 4th line was great and the 3rd line was bad.

I think both these tell us a lot about how Berube actually sees this initial 4th line to start the year.

Reavo is gonna play but definitely not a full-time guy I think. Maybe half the games depending on matchups. And he'll never get back to backs. That's cool.

Again tho - Berube has literally never given a guy like Reaves anything close to regular duty. Or even a fulltime roster spot.

I was looking at Gourde just yesterday. Not sure how good he is still but probably still a good 3C.

Line performance as actual lines in game 1:

Line 1: 10:36, 78.4xgf%
Line 2: 8:36, 52.0xgf%
Line 3: 5:48, 56.6xgf%
Line 4: 5:24, 98.9xgf%

3rd line did better as a line than i thought. Holmberg and Robby must have been caught in their own zone for a really bad shift or two without patches.

Pair 1: 10:30, 68.5xgf%
Pair 2: 10:18, 86.9xgf%
Pair 3: 8:48, 84.5xgf%

so all three pairings were great when playing with each other.

Back