• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

No Excuses No Limits! The mother fucking goddamn season thread

Calgary apparently so stacked at defense every year but are never better than the leafs defensively.

Their biggest problem this year definitely isn’t a lack of toughness.

Absolutely agreed. Sheldon tying one hand behind our back with personnel decisions is a much bigger issue. But there are a few roster spots that have done significant as fuck damage with the rope Sheldon is giving them and changes need to be made to those asap.

IN: Tanev and Weegar
OUT: Klingberg and McCabe

Brodie-Tanev
Rielly-Weegar
Giordano-Liljegren

What do they trade? Everything I guess. I don't fucking know how that would work.

Calgary apparently so stacked at defense every year but are never better than the leafs defensively.

Last 2+ seasons combined

GA/60
Toronto 2.34
Calgary 2.35

xGA/60
Toronto: 2.34
Calgary 2.27

If we're looking for defenders, we could do worse than targetting defenders on a team that has been our defensive equal over the last 3 years.

Flames will look to find better than .880 goaltending before blowing it up, IMO

Last 2+ seasons combined

GA/60
Toronto 2.34
Calgary 2.35

xGA/60
Toronto: 2.34
Calgary 2.27

If we're looking for defenders, we could do worse than targetting defenders on a team that has been our defensive equal over the last 3 years.

I don't get how adding the worst dman on an equal defensive team makes us better.

Their .880 goaltending is making a pile of money the next few years though, while free agency and aging curves are going to blow the rest up for them.

If they're way out of the playoffs near the deadline they'd be wise to trade some of their pending UFAs, especially an aging one like Tanev. Maybe they keep Hanifin and Weegar though, yeah.

Their .880 goaltending is making a pile of money the next few years though, while free agency and aging curves are going to blow the rest up for them.

I look forward to a blow up....Habs have their #1 pick in 2025 (#1 protected) but I think their goaltending reverts to the mean

Zadorov does ok on tissue soft usage. Leafs already have Timmins and Gio that could excel in that role so idk if it's worthwhile at all.

I don't get how adding the worst dman on an equal defensive team makes us better.

I mean, Zadorov is their pretty clear #5 and isn't bad at all in that role. Would provide part of something we lack (actual functional physicality and toughness without putting a literal league worst player on the ice to try to provide it) and would replace a complete fucking tire fire that is actually killing us.

Zadorov replaces Klingberg & Reaves at the same time, that's a pretty huge swing in quality imo.

If they're way out of the playoffs near the deadline they'd be wise to trade some of their pending UFAs, especially an aging one like Tanev. Maybe they keep Hanifin and Weegar though, yeah.

Yeah...I mean, it's a long way to the deadline. If they're still dwelling in the cellar, I could see all of those guys on the move

Zadorov does ok on tissue soft usage. Leafs already have Timmins and Gio that could excel in that role so idk if it's worthwhile at all.

Need 7 anyway. I'm good with a 3rd pairing rotation of sorts with Zadorov, Timmins, & Gio. Send McCabe in the same trade for whatever Calgary upgrade on him you're willing to pay for and let's go.

Yeah...I mean, it's a long way to the deadline. If they're still dwelling in the cellar, I could see all of those guys on the move
I think most discussion here is based on the possibility that Calgary is out of it by the deadline and decides to clean house or at least trade their pending UFAs. Long way, as you say, so no one is 100% sure they're gonna do it but it's a pretty picture perfect fit of a trading partner from the Leafs perspective so it's exciting to discuss.

BTW, I also think the Leafs will revert to the mean 5 on 5. If you take the injuries on D into account, half their roster has churned in a matter of months. Lots of new players to incorporate.

Back