• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

No Excuses No Limits! The mother fucking goddamn season thread

I think most discussion here is based on the possibility that Calgary is out of it by the deadline and decides to clean house or at least trade their pending UFAs. Long way, as you say, so no one is 100% sure they're gonna do it but it's a pretty picture perfect fit of a trading partner from the Leafs perspective so it's exciting to discuss.

never too soon for fans to discuss, agreed...my comment was more directed to paid "journalists" who don't seem to realize the deadline is months away

BTW, I also think the Leafs will revert to the mean 5 on 5. If you take the injuries on D into account, half their roster has churned in a matter of months. Lots of new players to incorporate.

Yeah, but I'm not convinced that they're not hard capped on how good this roster can be with fathead's preferred deployment. How does "send the worst 4th line in the league immediately after we tie the game against the best team in the league" lead to reversion?

Klingberg and Reaves on a single roster may just be suicide. I usually don't subscribe to the theory of "you can't win with xxx in your regular lineup" but man those two are making an amazing case so far this year. At least we're going to see potentially less icetime from Kampf now. That was suicide too.

Yeah, but I'm not convinced that they're not hard capped on how good this roster can be with fathead's preferred deployment. How does "send the worst 4th line in the league immediately after we tie the game against the best team in the league" lead to reversion?

No argument there. I saw enough two years ago to view Keefe as a slightly smarter, anglo version of Therrien. Guy is more interested in winning "his way" than simply winning. Hard to foolproof that.

Game is won on the margins, and Keefe is a negative, IMO. Usually those stubborn coaches eventually lose the room. The season is still young, so he may have a lot more rope.

Klingberg and Reaves on a single roster may just be suicide. I usually don't subscribe to the theory of "you can't win with xxx in your regular lineup" but man those two are making an amazing case so far this year. At least we're going to see potentially less icetime from Kampf now. That was suicide too.

Klingberg & Reaves are a combined -14

The only players on the roster even close are guys unfortunate enough to have been chained to those two, McCabe & Gregor. Yeah, I laughed when I saw Dom's math saying that Reaves was as negative an impact on the roster as Matthews was a positive or something similar and fuck me, I take it back.

Klingberg & Reaves are a combined -14

The only players on the roster even close are guys unfortunate enough to have been chained to those two, McCabe & Gregor. Yeah, I laughed when I saw Dom's math saying that Reaves was as negative an impact on the roster as Matthews was a positive or something similar and fuck me, I take it back.
And as much as we're all blaming Keefe... He's got no choice really. At least at this stage. He has to play the guys his boss signed to real money and/or term.

I more blame Keefe for his lack of faith in kids and his love affair with Kampf. But the team sucking cock this year? I think it's mostly on Tre.

IN: Tanev and Weegar
OUT: Klingberg and McCabe

Brodie-Tanev
Rielly-Weegar
Giordano-Liljegren

What do they trade? Everything I guess. I don't fucking know how that would work.

It's why I mention Zadorov, because I think he and Tanev are easier to get than Weegar unless if we're interested in throwing 1sts, Cowan's, Minten's, Knies, Robertson's, etc around.

So my question is whether

Rielly-Lilly
Brodie-Tanev
Zadorov-Gio
Timmins

is good enough. Would obviously prefer someone better than Tanev (& Zadorov) but what are we willing to pay? I don't think expiring Tanev and expiring Zadorov are that expensive, even in a December trade rather than deadline.

And as much as we're all blaming Keefe... He's got no choice really. At least at this stage. He has to play the guys his boss signed to real money and/or term.

I more blame Keefe for his lack of faith in kids and his love affair with Kampf. But the team sucking cock this year? I think it's mostly on Tre.

Eh, no one made him play Klingberg 21-22mpg or him jam Kampf into 3C and sacrifice the effectiveness of both bottom 6 lines, send the 4th line out there for 3rd period shifts in a tied game, etc, etc, etc.

Eh, no one made him play Klingberg 21-22mpg or him jam Kampf into 3C and sacrifice the effectiveness of both bottom 6 lines, send the 4th line out there for 3rd period shifts in a tied game, etc, etc, etc.
I disagree with this. He was signed as a top 4 d and the expectation was he'd be tried there. The Kampf thing, I agree though for sure. But they've won many games and looked plenty good with Kampf as a 3c in the past. It's terrible and I don't agree with it, but the bigger issue is that every person he signed has sucked, with 2 of them being huge liabilities.

yeah no thanks to more physical unskilled bottom pairing d-men.

we have never properly replaced Muzz, and that is our greatest need on D. all hands ought to be on deck to find that guy.

and obviously launch Kling out of a cannon somewhere.

I'm still genuinely surprised Bertuzzi doesn't look better. I think the coach has to be able to find a way to get more out of him.
yeah he has looked fucking terrible to me. or least compared to my expectations. every now and then he'll show some flashes of skill, but holy moly have I been disappointed with his skating.

I disagree with this. He was signed as a top 4 d and the expectation was he'd be tried there. The Kampf thing, I agree though for sure. But they've won many games and looked plenty good with Kampf as a 3c in the past. It's terrible and I don't agree with it, but the bigger issue is that every person he signed has sucked, with 2 of them being huge liabilities.

4 millie isn't really "top 4" money. Nor is 21+ mpg "top 4 ice time" it's #2-3 ice time. Klingberg is playing as much this season as Rielly played last season. That's not what you sign a 4 million dollar defender to do, especially not one who was a known tire fire last year that you're hoping for bounce back from.

2yr 5v5

Rielly (29): 76gms, 17:13, -0.9dzs%, 51.6xgf% (+1.6rel), 1.01p/60, 0.74p1/60
Weegar (29): 92gms, EV 17:35, +1.3dzs%, 56.4xgf% (+1.9rel), 1.04p/60, 0.52p1/60

Liljegren (24): 77gms, EV 15:15, +0.5dzs%, 54.2xgf% (+0.7rel), 0.66p/60, 0.46p1/60
Andersson (27): 86gms, EV 17:31, +0.5dzs%, 52.0xgf% (-2.3rel), 1.00p/60, 0.76p1/60

McCabe (30): 83gms, EV 16:39, +1.9dzs%, 47.4xgf% (+2.1rel), 0.91p/70, 0.52p1/60
Hanifin (26): 92gms, EV 17:13, +0.5dzs%, 54.0xgf% (+0.5rel), 0.98p/60, 0.61p1/60

Brodie (33): 69gms, EV 17:35, +1.8dzs%, 55.9xgf% (+2.7rel), 0.69p/60, 0.25p1/60
Tanev (34): 76gms, EV 16:05, +1.7dzs%, 59.1xgf% (+5.2rel), 0.54p/60, 0.30p1/60

Giordano (40): 89gms, EV 15:24, +3.9dzs%, 54.5xgf% (+1.7rel), 1.05p/60, 0.52p1/60
Zadorov (28): 92gms, EV 15:50, -2.0dzs%, 53.7xgf% (+0.1rel), 0.91p/60, 0.79p1/60 (* - safe to say fluke career 14gl yr last year)

Klingberg (31): 78gms, EV 16:50, -1.6dzs%, 39.5xgf% (-4.2rel), 0.96p/60, 0.82p1/60
Timmins (25): 27gms, EV 13:33, -2.1dzs%, 54.4xgf% (-0.3rel), 1.48p/60, 0.82p1/60
Gilbert (27): 32gms, EV 11:51, -4.9dzs%, 52.7xgf% (+0.5rel), 0.79p/60, 0.32p1/60

so sure, replace klingberg with zadorov is an upgrade. the only leaf he'd be an upgrade on. But then you're doubling down on the idea of spending $4m of our capspace on a bottom pair guy, when I thought we were already annoyed with doing that and were desperately hoping klingberg would show some top-4 upside to make it palatable.

Back