• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

No Excuses No Limits! The mother fucking goddamn season thread

Leafs are 7-2-0 with McCabe in the lineup, 1-3-2 without him. Aside from a horrendous game 1, he's above water at a 50.8xgf% since game 2, with very tough usage.

Unsurprisingly, the most depressing part of the season came in the 3 games both him and Lilly were out - loss to BUF, OTW over TB, loss to OTT - where we allowed 6, 5, and 6 goals against and got massacred in the nerdies by 3 teams with weak nerdies.

In the matthews era, have we ever had a 3rd line made up of guys with legit top-6 offensive skillsets and production at even strength, without any help from one of the core guys?

i'm gonna have to do some math on that soon.

In the matthews era, have we ever had a 3rd line made up of guys with legit top-6 offensive skillsets and production at even strength, without any help from one of the core guys?

i'm gonna have to do some math on that soon.

You know the answer to that

TDPU0LB.gif

Low event hockey >

When was the last time we let two skilled young guys even PLAY on the team at the same time? You’d have to go back to the Matthews/Marner first year.

Knies Robertson is literally the first time since the core came in.

2yr EV Paces

Domi: 11gls/42pts
Robertson: 17gls/39pts
Jarnkrok: 17gls/35pts

hard to tell who the actual 3rd liners were in previous years, and many of these guys actually got the plum roles next to the core four guys (like Knies and Bert are getting now), but here were the candidates, with their EV paces that year:

(I've asterisked the guys who I believe were getting the non-3rd line roles beside the top guys mostly):

16-17

(Brown* 17/29)
(Hyman* 6/24)
Bozak 12/39
JVR 23/43
Komarov 9/20

(Actually i think Mitch played mostly with Bozak and JVR this season so that doesn't really count)

17-18

(Marleau* 22/38)
(Hyman* 14/38)
Bozak 8/30
JVR 25/34
Brown 12/25

18-19

(Hyman* 23/46)
(Kapanen* 18/41)
Kadri 14/35
Johnsson 19/42
Marleau 12/27

this year was almost as deep but this was the year where Nylander sucked balls so not really. and it still had Marleau in the top-9 so that's disqualifing anyways.

19-20

(Hyman* 27/48)
(Mikheyev* 15/46)
Kerfoot 10/32
Kapanen 13/37
Johnsson 8/31

20-21

(Hyman* 23/53)
(Vesey/Galchenyuk 13/28)
Kerfoot 10/29
Spezza 14/38
Mikheyev 11/24

and of course Big Dick Nick came in at the deadline.

21-22

(Bunting* 22/60)
(Kerfoot* 13/47)
Kampf 9/22
Mikheyev 20/36
Engvall 13/31

this year there was some hope with Kase at a 15/30 EV pace to bump Kampf down, but kase is kase.

22-23

(Bunting* 16/39)
(Jarnkrok* 18/35)
Kampf 7/20
Engvall 16/27
Kerfoot 7/27

man the scoring depth really fell apart last year. though with a legit deadline upgrade in ROR (25/51), though that came with the loss of engvall who was the best 3rd line producer, and left ROR to play with Kerf and Acciari. The upgrade of Knies would also have been nice, but he was injured (and when he was healty Bunting was injured).

Yeah i don't think we've ever had a legit complete 3-man productive 3rd line before.

The closest would have been when we ran the Johnsson-Kerfoot-Kapanen line, but they weren't as good that year as the current 3 are I don't think, and the fact that they fell apart later indicates that maybe they were never really as good as they looked offensively that year.

Their CHL seasons have to be completely done.

Yep. And that leaves a pretty wide range of possible earliest dates they might be available.

If their teams miss the playoffs or get eliminated in the first round, they could be back with the Leafs as soon as early April.

And if they go all the way to the Memorial Cup, they’ll still be playing CHL games while the Stanley Cup final’s going on.

Back