• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: American Politics

There's also about a 20% energy loss in the refining process fwiw, as in for 100 units of gasoline it takes 20 units of input power to refine it from it's base hydrocarbon.

Efficiency is not an argument that oil/gasoline supporters should let themselves get pulled into.
My major argument around keeping my gas car has nothing to do with efficiency.

Electrical vehicles are over computerized and difficult to repair. In fact, electrical vehicles being a little more than computers on wheels with essentially vacuum cleaner motors, we end up in the world where people are more and more alienated from their things and more and more requiring the expertise of others as well as corporate production facilities to replace and repair your vehicles.

I hate Charles Schwab and the world, economic forum. I hate these elitist fucking bastards who tell us we will have nothing and be happy. Well they own and run the world. I do not trust the elite half a percent in the world to be into my best interest because history has shown me that it does not matter the colour of your skin, if you are not among the ruling class, you are expendable and controlling our ability to repair. Our vehicles are using the environment to impose greater social control on the population and as an anarchist, I just don’t fucking accept it.

I’ve got a 93 GMC Sierra that I am putting an eight cylinder deals engine in. The frame and the body are immaculate, I want it more efficient. I won’t go with electrical power or batteries. Despite the fact there are kits and things like this available because I don’t trust technology and I especially don’t trust supply chain that begins in China.

Our right to repair things is being removed from us, not only by the disposability of the product, but also by complexity, as well as user agreements that prohibit this and void warrantees when people modify work with and repair stuff.

We petrol heads are keeping our cars because we don’t trust big business and big government

And if you think that the self-righteous pathway forward is dictated by those in charge right now is the right way that’s fine, but cut the insults about people who want cars that are powered by gas.

I try to stay away from Le

Our right to repair things is being removed from us, not only by the disposability of the product, but also by complexity, as well as user agreements that prohibit this and void warrantees when people modify work with and repair stuff.

We petrol heads are keeping our cars because we don’t trust big business and big government

And if you think that the self-righteous pathway forward is dictated by those in charge right now is the right way that’s fine, but cut the insults about people who want cars that are powered by gas.

I try to stay away from Le

NarrowCoveredWagon_FEP.jpg

you can repair the shit out of this.

Electrical vehicles are over computerized and difficult to repair. In fact, electrical vehicles being a little more than computers on wheels with essentially vacuum cleaner motors, we end up in the world where people are more and more alienated from their things and more and more requiring the expertise of others as well as corporate production facilities to replace and repair your vehicles.

So are ICE cars. Unless if you're a trained mechanic, you're not doing anything aside from basic maintenance on modern cars. This isn't the 60's-70's anymore where the instructions for adjusting your spark plugs are in the owners manual.

You're not doing engine or drive train work to the car sitting in your driveway. All of the other peripheral systems are basically the same in complexity (you're not repairing your current A/C system yourself any sooner than you are Tesla's HVAC system).

And to be fair, your age is showing here mate. Fixing a lot of computerized aspects of modern cars is actually significantly easier for someone with a basic technical skillset than doing grease monkey work ever was. I kept my old 2011 model 3 BMW going for like 2-3 years longer than it otherwise would have just by following electronic tuning guides on bimmerworks and buying 200-300 dollars worth of interface computers, software, and patch cables. Now, Tesla isn't going to let anyone ever get access to this shit if they can help it but you can bet your ass as these EV systems evolve so will the ability to access and make changes to them through software interfaces.

I mean, is there really a difference between a modern transmission shitting the bed and an EV electric traction motor? You're not working on either in your driveway. Both require large, expensive equipment that is OEM only to replace. Both require technicians that are specifically trained on your manufacturer's equipment to do the repair, make sure everything is coded properly, etc.

Back