• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: American Politics

False bobo.

YearIn-migrantsOut-migrantsNet
2010444,749573,988–129,239
2011468,428562,343–93,915
2012493,641566,986–73,345
2013485,477581,679–96,202
2014513,968593,308–79,340
2015514,477643,710–129,233
2016514,758657,690–142,932
2017523,131661,026–137,895
2018501,023691,145–190,122
2019480,204653,551–173,347
2021433,402841,065–407,663
2022475,803817,669–341,866

California's population grew in 2023 for the first time since 2020, driven by lower mortality and higher legal foreign immigration. However, net domestic migration was still negative (91,189 people left for other states) and the population growth was low (+0.17%)

Don't focus on people from foreign shitholes coming to this far better shithole. Domestic migration has been bad, and got mclovin superbad for a couple of years before settling down somewhat. Simple wiki cut and pastes tell the tale.

In July 2023, California Department of Finance reviewed its population forecast for 2060 and concluded that the state's population would stay constant at about 40 million people, instead of reaching 53 million as estimated in 2013.[21][22] In October 2023, the Stanford Institute for Economic Policy Research found that California was "hemorrhaging residents to neighboring states like Texas, Arizona, and Nevada" at "higher levels than ever before", across all income levels, and especially among college graduates

California's population grew in 2023 for the first time since 2020, driven by lower mortality and higher legal foreign immigration. However, net domestic migration was still negative (91,189 people left for other states) and the population growth was low (+0.17%)

I guess we'll have to see if we gain in domestic moves or not - for the first time in how many years?

You're jerking off in your basement somewhere in Markham. I'm telling you from living here for the past 25 years, everyone is complaining, many are moving, and it gets worse year to year.

I guess we'll have to see if we gain in domestic moves or not - for the first time in how many years?

You're jerking off in your basement somewhere in Markham. I'm telling you from living here for the past 25 years, everyone is complaining, many are moving, and it gets worse year to year.
Man that's the exact same story I hear about the GTA. Conservatism has become super trendy over the past few years (not knocking it, just interesting to see the parallels with what people say about Canada). And yeah, Newsom has baggage. Not that they'd bypass the VP anyway. If it's not Joe it'll be Kamala.

Facebook meme guy sez what?

There are literal homeless camps taking over entire areas that after many months get moved out, but then take over another area. There were full on villages of homeless tents that took over public areas in Westwood and Brentwood a couple of years ago. Venice is completely out of control. It's getting violent now with all sorts of crime being committed by the homeless with mental disease, assaulting people on the streets routinely.

There's crime on a whole new level with home invasions, sometimes armed, reported on a daily basis. They're accosting people in the streets to grab watches and jewelry. They're carjacking left and right. If you call 911, you literally just listen to music forever and then get a voicemail. Even if they pick up, it takes them an hour or two to actually respond to the matter in person. The police force has been dropping like flies because nothing gets enforced, and they won't even prosecute theft under $950. The LA DA is a complete and utter lunatic - people come from out of state to commit crime, and if they get arrested, they're free to go with no bail, and just ditch the city/state and don't look back.

The taxes are through the roof, and they find new things to tax every year, while eliminating deductions for businesses at the same time. The health insurance costs are frightening - each year my plan goes up $100-$150, like it's just on some unlimited tear upwards with no stop in sight. It doesn't even cover anything because more and more doctors are refusing to accept insurance, plus everything goes to the deductible.

The streets are in disrepair. Potholes literally staying in place for years. The streets are filthy - park anywhere near UCLA and you'll see that they haven't cleaned the streets in years - you can't even imagine the state of things in certain areas, and areas that you'd never expect to left in such disrepair. The public schools are mostly trash. The cost to rent something decent is out of range for most, and the cost of buying a house is nuts.

Certain parts of LA are pretty and glitzy, and the weather can't be beat, but there's a reason why you read every day about some actor or other person of means picking up and leaving to live elsewhere. If I didn't have family here, I'd strongly consider leaving too. It's not anything like it was when I first moved here, which is sad because it really was the best place that I've watched gradually turn to shit.

There are literal homeless camps taking over entire areas that after many months get moved out, but then take over another area. There were full on villages of homeless tents that took over public areas in Westwood and Brentwood a couple of years ago. Venice is completely out of control. It's getting violent now with all sorts of crime being committed by the homeless with mental disease, assaulting people on the streets routinely.

There's crime on a whole new level with home invasions, sometimes armed, reported on a daily basis. They're accosting people in the streets to grab watches and jewelry. They're carjacking left and right. If you call 911, you literally just listen to music forever and then get a voicemail. Even if they pick up, it takes them an hour or two to actually respond to the matter in person. The police force has been dropping like flies because nothing gets enforced, and they won't even prosecute theft under $950. The LA DA is a complete and utter lunatic - people come from out of state to commit crime, and if they get arrested, they're free to go with no bail, and just ditch the city/state and don't look back.

The taxes are through the roof, and they find new things to tax every year, while eliminating deductions for businesses at the same time. The health insurance costs are frightening - each year my plan goes up $100-$150, like it's just on some unlimited tear upwards with no stop in sight. It doesn't even cover anything because more and more doctors are refusing to accept insurance, plus everything goes to the deductible.

The streets are in disrepair. Potholes literally staying in place for years. The streets are filthy - park anywhere near UCLA and you'll see that they haven't cleaned the streets in years - you can't even imagine the state of things in certain areas, and areas that you'd never expect to left in such disrepair. The public schools are mostly trash. The cost to rent something decent is out of range for most, and the cost of buying a house is nuts.

Certain parts of LA are pretty and glitzy, and the weather can't be beat, but there's a reason why you read every day about some actor or other person of means picking up and leaving to live elsewhere. If I didn't have family here, I'd strongly consider leaving too. It's not anything like it was when I first moved here, which is sad because it really was the best place that I've watched gradually turn to shit.
I get it and I hear this exact same stuff about Canada and especially the GTA almost every day.

But my question is where does wokeness fit into the equation? How does that reduce ones quality of life?

Man that's the exact same story I hear about the GTA. Conservatism has become super trendy over the past few years (not knocking it, just interesting to see the parallels with what people say about Canada). And yeah, Newsom has baggage. Not that they'd bypass the VP anyway. If it's not Joe it'll be Kamala.
I'd say that after many years of conservatism being left for dead here, there is a quiet - very quiet - wave of it seeming to form. People are just completely fed up over the things I just ranted about and want to see some change.

In a vacuum, I'd always expect the VP to just be the choice to go forward if the Pres can't do it, but I highly, highly doubt they would run with Kamala if they pull Biden out. I'd be shocked beyond shocked. I think she'd basically be a guaranteed loss for the Dems. They would have to go with someone like Newsom, baggage and all, because he has an actual base and would look and play the part for more imo. I'm surrounded by Dems everywhere here, and I can attest to the fact that Kamala is pretty widely disliked. It's not like when Hillary ran against Trump, where she was the annointed one and every Dem was behind her. Kamala is received totally differently (in LA, at least, so I can't speak for outside the city, but I'd guess it's representative, and maybe even more kind to her than if you go outside the city limits).

I'd say that after many years of conservatism being left for dead here, there is a quiet - very quiet - wave of it seeming to form. People are just completely fed up over the things I just ranted about and want to see some change.

In a vacuum, I'd always expect the VP to just be the choice to go forward if the Pres can't do it, but I highly, highly doubt they would run with Kamala if they pull Biden out. I'd be shocked beyond shocked. I think she'd basically be a guaranteed loss for the Dems. They would have to go with someone like Newsom, baggage and all, because he has an actual base and would look and play the part for more imo. I'm surrounded by Dems everywhere here, and I can attest to the fact that Kamala is pretty widely disliked. It's not like when Hillary ran against Trump, where she was the annointed one and every Dem was behind her. Kamala is received totally differently (in LA, at least, so I can't speak for outside the city, but I'd guess it's representative, and maybe even more kind to her than if you go outside the city limits).
I mean they had the primaries (I know they technically don't have to, but they did) and the American people voted for Biden and in doing so they voted for Kamala if Biden drops out or resigns. So I personally don't see how they bypass that and select someone else without a vote.

Also anecdotes aside, yes it's very obvious that she is not well liked. Though that doesn't matter in California at all. It absolutely does matter elsewhere though and yeah I can see why it's not an easy decision for them to just cut Joe out. He may still be their best chance since realistically Kamala is the other choice.

I get it and I hear this exact same stuff about Canada and especially the GTA almost every day.

But my question is where does wokeness fit into the equation? How does that reduce ones quality of life?
Can't blame black and brown people for all the issues anymore

I have my own issues with wokeness.. namely just one thing. I think comedy is worse off. But it doesn't really impact me or my quality of life at all. I'm always interested to know how it impacts others. Not to judge them, but to understand where they're coming from. Still haven't gotten a great answer but maybe lof can woo me. ;)

I said out of control, extreme wokeness.

My friends who have little kids in kindergarten are struggling with teachers filling their heads with the idea that they don't have to go with their gender, and can choose to be whatever they want, boy or girl. This sort of stuff is being preached to 3 and 4 years olds, and is exceptionally confusing for them, don't think they're prepared to handle this kind of thought process at that age. If it were my kids that were in this kind of situation (all the more reason, as if more reason was needed, to go private school and shelter them), I'd have a major problem with that shit, as my friends do.

This moron DA Gascon with his insane philosophies and policies on crime, trying to get rid of bail, letting criminals right back on the streets without any regard for public safety. Not believing in the basics of crime and punishment, and letting his experiment run loose in the city. West Hollywood has generally been the hot place to be at night ever since I got here. Most younger girls live there. Lots of restaurants and bars. But now also the most dangerous place to be at night in LA, imo. Car jackings, theft and assault in the streets, guys following girls home or to their cars, etc. I really just avoid it now, because it's not worth the risk. I wouldn't want to park on the street there, walk a block or two - at night, no thanks. This DA is the definition of liberalism gone too far, and its impact on the city is widely felt.

https://laist.com/news/criminal-jus...-george-gascons-prosecutors-want-him-recalled

Back