• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: American Politics

There are reasons for Biden to step down but those same reasons existed in 2022 when he decided to run again. I think Biden stepping down swings the election to Trump, whereas if he stays in it’s more likely than not he’ll get re-elected. They can deal with whatever happens after that beginning in Jan 2025. Presidents have been replaced by their VP partway through their term before.

Anyway, maybe Biden will step down. I think it’s unlikely, and would be a mistake, but I don’t know for sure and won’t pretend that I do.

See the thing is many people his age and older are just like Biden and often live for many many years just fine. They just typically aren't the President of the United States and live a private lifestyle with their family, away from the limelight. Because no one needs to watch a man go senile in public in real time. It's grossly uncomfortable to watch.
Oh I know. I have relatives in that boat currently, and have had others in my life with similar issues. And not one of them ever decided to ramp up at that age and in that condition to take on a tough job with a four year commitment. It's sheer lunacy to even consider it, impossible to envision it.

And here's this guy wanting to run the US and make critical decisions that affect the rest of the world while he hopes the rest of his brain doesn't melt away too quickly. It's a selfish display of ego and narcissism to keep operating in his bubble and thinking this makes any sense for anyone but him.

I hear you, but it’s hard to deny the coordinated effort that’s ongoing to get Biden replaced, no? The “White House official” leaks have been bonkers since the debate. He didn’t JUST become like this, he’s been this way for years and no one has questioned a thing in the MSM.
There's no need to overcomplicate the situation. Joe Biden is 81 years old and had a really bad debate. And there are some people in and around the Democratic Party who would like a different candidate, because Trump would be an absolutely horrific president. They've been making a lot of noise this week. Because if this were to happen, right now is the time (ie. before the convention).

There are also a lot of people who want Biden to stay, probably a much larger group. But everyone is aware of the dangers of EITHER choice. Nobody has a crystal ball.

These are not deep state CIA operatives, and they're not lizard people. They're just a bunch of politicians, political operatives, and people who work for the party, people who write and tweet about politics, etc. The media is pimping this narrative for their own reasons. It does generate a lot of clicks.

Don't kid yourself that there aren't a lot of people in the Republican Party, especially those with any sense of morality or actual patriotism, that would love to replace their candidate too. There's just no way to do that right now. We can see with the large amount of people voting for Nikki Haley in the primaries that there is an appetite for this. Not a conspiracy, just a bunch of people with opinions.

Folks, enough malarkey. Joe Biden is the nominee, it will be official in a few weeks, and we must rally around him to beat Trump in November. Anyone suggesting replacement fantasies from this point forward will be issued warning points (I am a Level 1 Administrator for Forum Ice).

Thank you, may Gosh bless America, and may Gosh protect our troops.
Gord

Obviously. She has zero exposure. That’ll change to the upside from August to November

I see a lot more risk in Biden from here on in
Its a lot more common for popular governors to flop on the national stage than succeed. High, high risk of that. Scott Walker. Jeb Bush. Even Tiny D.

It is no less risky in my view than sticking with the incumbent, who has already beaten him once.

Of course, a lot will depend on the coherence of said incumbent moving forward

Polling is fucked, example #194368

View: https://x.com/Nate_Cohn/status/1810449263479910718

So....we have a choice to believe that 18-29 have shifted 20 fucking points towards the GOP since 2020 (post Roe, etc) and this has shifted poll weightings by 3 points (by itself) or....that PEW doesn't know how to reach young people properly (by mail...) and their sample of 496 is broken by various sampling biases.

I’m starting to worry about young men. Could see them being into dotard

Back