• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: American Politics

That’s fine. Because previously the only responses I got from the BidenStay crowd was a variation of “Trump is no spring chicken either” which adds nothing.

My take is that Biden will step down so I don’t foresee litigation
Pre-convention?

Coordinated attack on him via the media and “leaks” seems pretty clear to me. But maybe it’s just because I’ve seen the same pattern before but coordinated against Trump.
You do not understand what the term insurrection means. You probably want to look it up before you use it in a sentence again.

According to a memo shared with Semafor that has been circulated to Democratic donors and bundlers as well as officials within the Biden campaign and administration:

• Biden would step down as the Democratic nominee in mid-July, and announce the new system, with backing from Vice President Kamala Harris.
  • Potential candidates would have a few days to throw their respective hats in the ring. The Democratic Party then would begin a primary sprint in which the six candidates who receive the most votes from delegates pledge to run positive-only campaigns in the month leading up to the convention.
  • The “blitz primary” would involve weekly forums with each candidate moderated by cultural icons (Michelle Obama, Oprah, and Taylor Swift are among the names floated in the memo) in order to engage voters.
  • The nominee would ultimately be chosen by the delegates using ranked choice voting before the start of the Chicago convention on Aug. 19.
  • It would be announced with plenty of fanfare on the third day of the gathering. The memo imagines the nominee unveiled on stage with Biden, Barack Obama and Bill Clinton.
According to its authors, the country would be captivated. Donations would pour in. And Biden would be celebrated as a “modern-day George Washington,” the proponents argue.

full article here: https://www.semafor.com/article/07/...ld-open-up-democratic-race-if-biden-drops-out
Pipe dream

This is why they had to start planning 4 years ago, instead of last minute. Then you could have actually made a plan and tried to push some candidates to be captivating.

and for clarity - I expect Biden to be the nominee.

I'm not certain of, but that's what I view as likely.

in the event Biden is NOT the nominee, it's gonna be a fucking bloodbath, no matter what. the semafor wishcasting is just that. if Biden steps aside, the chaos that ensues will not be neat and orderly.

No she wouldn’t
You're giving way too much credit to trump here. She'd crush him. Most people would, unless you're a corpse, Jeb Bush, Ted Cruz or Marco Rubio

This is not an endorsement for her to take over. It's just a bull case in case she does. Not all would be lost.

What's this based on exactly tho?
I think Kamala is good and Trump is bad. Not that deep tbh. The polling numbers for any potential replacement don't mean much till they get more exposure and screen time and the election is not as far away. So I'm saying in the unlikely scenario that Biden is replaced there is potential upside and we don't need to act like it's all over.

He has periphereal neuropathy in his foot stemming from an injury. His 2021 physical notes the addition of this doctor to his team:

I have a ulner nerve neuropathy in my left arm. Doesn't always affect me but it's tingling today. Normally it's mostly dead in feeling like maybe notice if I crush the finger with a hammer. But I have dropped a glass cause I didn't make sure I had my pinky finger under it. Doctors advised not worrying about it unless it causes pain routinely as surgery may make it worse. And I can control the finger

I think Kamala is good and Trump is bad. Not that deep tbh. The polling numbers for any potential replacement don't mean much till they get more exposure and screen time and the election is not as far away. So I'm saying in the unlikely scenario that Biden is replaced there is potential upside and we don't need to act like it's all over.
there's potential upside but also potential downside. acting like it's a sure things is foolish IMO (and same applies to Biden, FWIW. I just think he's currently our best bet)

I don't even think anyone even said that?

People are just saying it's a risk based on tangible things - having to drop out before the primaries in her Prez run because she couldn't crack 3%, very very low favourability rating all throughout this admin to the point they seemed afraid to really get her out there, etc , and you seem to refuse to admit there's any risk whatsoever.

also, how does Kamala stack up to Joe in key swing states like PA and MI? pretty sure it's not optimal. willing to be convinced but again, despite the likely flawed polls, Biden does the best of any Dem.

there's potential upside but also potential downside. acting like it's a sure things is foolish IMO (and same applies to Biden, FWIW. I just think he's currently our best bet)
My entire tone has been that of uncertainty so yeah I don't disagree with that either. I just disagree with acting like we for sure know what is best.

I don't even think anyone even said that?

People are just saying it's a risk based on tangible things - having to drop out before the primaries in her Prez run because she couldn't crack 3%, very very low favourability rating all throughout this admin to the point they seemed afraid to really get her out there, etc , and you seem to refuse to admit there's any risk whatsoever.
This entire process is riddled with huge risk and that includes if you stick with Biden. I am fully aware of all of the risks involved. And as I stated, if you believe Biden is way ahead right now then I truly understand why you wouldn't want to rock that boat.

But if you think trump is ahead... Well I can't see Biden gaining many supporters between now and the election. I think there are others that can win folks over so while you may be starting at a low point with them, if you rally around them and if they run a solid campaign, anything can happen!

Reactions: CH1
You just said she'd totally crush him though?

That's not a tone of uncertainty?
She'd crush him like Biden crushed him in the 2020 debates. She's sharp and unlike Biden, alive and trump is an easy opponent of you are both of those things. I didn't say she'd crush him on election day. I don't know what would happen. As you say, it's risky to switch if you think Biden is ahead right now.

Back