• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: American Politics

Nah, just the first who didn't understand how the globalized system (purposefully built by the US) benefits the US. You're a fraction as wealthy of a nation without the US dollar being what it is internationally. You're a fraction as smart a nation without the massive inflows of immigration (look at where the PHD's & Engineers who invent all your shit come from these days). America built the globalized system and was winning at the game they created.

Where the "America First" crowd has it massively twisted is that America already gets all the benefits. Just not your America. The top 0.1%'s America has lapped the field numerous times. Your issues, at their core are with them. Not Ukraine, not the EU, not Mexico & Canada. With your top 0.1%. The same group Trump can't wait to shovel more money towards.

You're throwing a culture war when you should be throwing a class war.
Agree mostly with your points. I guess the disagreement is really in how Trump combats that (and in your opinion if at all).

You read a fake account.

Seriously people...if you grab a coffee and read a bunch of pages in a row you see the pattern.

Just somebody having fun, which is fine, but I'm not bothering anymore.
Aren't we all just here to have a little fun?

Message boards are communities of common interest. I enjoy interacting with everyone.

You see these people on TV and YouTube clips and you know they exist. But when one starts posting on your hockey forum it's really jarring for some reason. That someone can be so confidently stupid.
I think it's good to realize that people that have different views than you actually do exist. That people have different life experiences and values and viewpoints is an actuality that, even if it offends you somehow, should be considered when talking political policy.

Agree mostly with your points. I guess the disagreement is really in how Trump combats that (and in your opinion if at all).

So in your view, how does he combat that? Because from where I sit, he's a massive net negative on future American power across the board.

Nope, closest thing we've had a to pro-American citizen president in a long time. Focused on bettering the lives of the actual citizens of the country first and foremost.
what did he do as president that bettered your life as an American citizen?

More theatrics. The uniparty loves their grandstanding.
you admitted yesterday to being unaware of the facts surrounding this controversy, so you should probably withhold your opinion since you don't know what has actually been alleged, and what evidence exists to confirm these allegations

You see these people on TV and YouTube clips and you know they exist. But when one starts posting on your hockey forum it's really jarring for some reason. That someone can be so confidently stupid.
I think it's good for everyone to have exposure to posters like FlyGuy. need to appreciate what we're dealing with

So in your view, how does he combat that? Because from where I sit, he's a massive net negative on future American power across the board.
Helps stop draining and misdirecting resources ($$$) to pointless bullshit that only puts money in oligarchs pockets (Ukraine) or pointless deals of which the US is disproportionally the largest financer of, yet whose benefit and impact is nominal.

I think the key part of your sentence is IDGAF about "American power". The USD has so much inertia that I highly doubt it could be replaced. Stop spending abroad, period. Reduce bloated budgets and stupid spending, reduce debt. Focus on the shit that actually matters. Finances, infrastructure, retirement, leave any stupid social side-show issues to states to F around with. Reduce government subsidies substantially, take the short-term hit, normalize costs of things like college and healthcare.

Overly simplistic, but I gave it a shot.

you admitted yesterday to being unaware of the facts surrounding this controversy, so you should probably withhold your opinion since you don't know what has actually been alleged, and what evidence exists to confirm these allegations
"...they stand no chance of passing republican controlled house"

Thomas Massie had a FANTASTIC interview with Tucker I recommend listening to in which he stated congress members will pass bills just for show knowing they have no chance. Which seems like a "no shit" thing but this reminded me of that.

Really can't recommend that interview enough. Probably one of the most fascinating people I've ever listened to.

okay, a few things to unpack. will try to go piece by piece.
Helps stop draining and misdirecting resources ($$$) to pointless bullshit that only puts money in oligarchs pockets (Ukraine) or pointless deals of which the US is disproportionally the largest financer of, yet whose benefit and impact is nominal.
if you're referring to military aid for Ukraine, most of that actually gets spent in the US. so your opposition to more military aid for Ukraine is in fact harming American companies that manufacture things in America.

do you have examples of the 'pointless deals' you refer to?
I think the key part of your sentence is IDGAF about "American power". The USD has so much inertia that I highly doubt it could be replaced. Stop spending abroad, period.
this is incredibly short-sighted. spending abroad often has clear, tangible domestic benefits. hell, foreign aid money often benefits US corporations.
Reduce bloated budgets and stupid spending, reduce debt.
Trump increased the deficit and the debt. significantly.
Focus on the shit that actually matters.
what did Trump do, legislatively, that actually mattered? to either you, or in general.
Finances, infrastructure, retirement, leave any stupid social side-show issues to states to F around with.
so, get rid of Medicare and Medicaid? is that your position?
Reduce government subsidies substantially, take the short-term hit, normalize costs of things like college and healthcare.

Overly simplistic, but I gave it a shot.
do you have any example of the policies you are proposing being successful? any real world examples?

You demonize every neighbor who holds a different view than you?

What a radical way to go through life.
where did I demonize you?

"need to appreciate what we're dealing with"

hell, I said it was good for us to interact with someone like you, that's kinda the opposite of demonization.

Back