• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: American Politics

I had no idea it would take a day but I also wasn’t worried it would be a long drawn out messy affair.

Too much at stake. No serious Dem wants to fuck around too much
You actually didn’t have much insight on what would happen after he stepped down. With good reason. This wasn’t really foreseeable, but it does make sense - I don’t think the other big name Dem possibilities really wanted to step in here.

This was one area where I was fairly confident! Felt it would be swift and support would flood to Kamala if they convinced Joe to step down. I played many other scenarios in my head but for me it was always Kamala or Joe. Nothing else made sense to me.

They could also just be taking a bit of time to keep it in the news for a few days. Although that might be giving their media savvyness too much credit.
Wonder if they are just waiting for state delegates to meet (a whole bunch are meeting today) and pledge so they don't seem like they're influencing the process?

This was not the consensus opinion. The consensus isn't always right, mind you (antivaxxers got the last laugh on covid after all!), but I do think it's important to acknowledge that maybe they knew or discovered some information that we don't have. My mind is fully open on this, but if the dems truly felt that Biden was in trouble (convincing enough that Biden himself agreed to let go), then sorry but I have some belief that they may be right. I think the party is crafty enough to suss out all the noise from the data and find proper, quality data. If that data looks grim, then so be it.
I think you're just more deferential to the competency of the Democratic Party as an entity than many of us who have a lot of scars over the previous years.

also, where the hell has zeke been? assuming he was in Algonquin or something, interested to see his reaction once he emerges...

The new money coming in will be epic. This isn't even 24 hours.

Biden is a wonderful President. The problem wasn't the message , but that he couldn't deliver it.
Harris has solved the messenger issue.

Trump is in trouble.
Just you wait for the post convention polls.
I'm less optimistic than you are, but agreed about the money at least.

don't think trump is in trouble, quite yet. he's one resilient motherfucker.

but hey, would be THRILLED if the optimists among us are correct. would happily take that L.

We were hearing a lot about this battle between Gavin, Gretchen and Harris, mini primaries, town halls where Dems arrows are pointed at each other instead of Trump, after we’ve already not really been talking about Trump since the debate. That’s what the concern was over. That hasn’t happened and that’s great imo
wasn't just us either, AOC too

This was Biden's play. He wasn't going to drop out of the race unless the party was unified about his replacement
Mission accomplished.
Simply brilliant.

I am sure that it was Nona's idea.
I think this is Biden's play more than Nonna's. She was just gonna be damn sure to get him to withdraw, that was the extent of her involvement.

I think you're just more deferential to the competency of the Democratic Party as an entity than many of us who have a lot of scars over the previous years.

also, where the hell has zeke been? assuming he was in Algonquin or something, interested to see his reaction once he emerges...
Yeah I get it. We're all Leafs fans and we all suffer from ptsd. I prefer to stay more zen about this stuff and don't automatically assume ulterior motives when decisions are made. Whether right or wrong, I believe they and now Biden believe this will give them the best chance of winning.

I’ve given you credit for saying Biden would step down and I think you deserve credit for thinking the process would go smoothly but I’m kinda surprised you’re acting like you knew every potential challenger would almost immediately endorse her and we’d know she was the one in like a day? People are right to be pleasantly surprised by that I think.
yah it's revisionist history to pretend otherwise.

there were multiple pieces from basically everywhere about how folks did not want Kamala, ways to pass over Kamala, etc. etc.

there was no consensus on the next step, beyond Biden withdrawing.

So looks like the early anti-Kamala stuff is coalescing around her not being qualified, not ready etc (which is sort of hilarious to say about the VP, a former senator and former state AG.)

It seems like a pretty clear racist dog whistle and is going to get more blatantly mixed into the anti-DEI and birther conspiracy screeching points.
I mean if this is all they have, that's good?

Bad is that it may resonate with LOF-type folks?

Yeah I get it. We're all Leafs fans and we all suffer from ptsd. I prefer to stay more zen about this stuff and don't automatically assume ulterior motives when decisions are made. Whether right or wrong, I believe they and now Biden believe this will give them the best chance of winning.

I honestly commend you for not being leafy about this

Back