• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: American Politics

When it is announced on the 6th, that she has won. The betting will begin on how many years he will be sentenced to for the NY conviction.

I'll start the bidding at 2 years.

Maybe this is naive of me but I think while there is a massive massive number of idiots, the reasonable sane people still outnumber them.

And I’m curious because there’s been a few more folks from the Canes board who have been critical of Trump here lately… Have you voted Republican previously? Independent? Dem? What’s the story if you feel like sharing.

I think there might be a way to do this actually.

caveat - i haven't actually considered the math of this but given how much wealth is created simply by asset growth and not income i think conceptually this might be possible.

The way they're thinking of it would be a disaster and would end up making everything more expensive for poors.

But there is a way that might be workable......but would require massive wealth and capital gains taxes, which obviously trump would never be for.

But it could be a brilliant lib policy position. no more taxing labour and creativity which are the engine of capitalism. only tax passive income from investments and asset growth. the wealthy captalists would lose all their rhetorical anti-tax arguments, and the middle and lower classes wouldn't have to pay income tax anymore. would also have the side benefit of discouraging the hoarding of money out of the active economy.

i should probably try some broadstrokes of the math required to make this happen but it could be a pretty cool thing.

C97C217119208398C092CB213EC228B398CC97C1

Maybe this is naive of me but I think while there is a massive massive number of idiots, the reasonable sane people still outnumber them.
this is where I keep landing.

which is admittedly weird given how cynical I usually am.

but we're all pretty 'terminally online' around here, and the internet is not real life. I keep reminding myself of that.
And I’m curious because there’s been a few more folks from the Canes board who have been critical of Trump here lately… Have you voted Republican previously? Independent? Dem? What’s the story if you feel like sharing.
this would be interesting to know, for sure.

All I would add is that maybe you should care, at least to understand the difference between facts, opinion, misinformation, and misunderstandings. Also at the very least consider the possibility that you might be wrong. I can't speak for other people, but I do this a lot. Certainly try to see the other side of an issue, especially when provided with some actual evidence to the contrary.

You are right to absolutely consider the source, and the media is not doing a great job right now, though not in the way that you think. One serious problem with your worldview though, is this right wing fantasy that there's no such thing as expertise, and the mainstream is a lie. This is simply not the case. The bigger problem is that so many issues contain a lot of nuance, and our current discourse is largely reduced to talking points.

And I will also add, despite many mistakes and some outlier issues, mainstream media is generally trying to represent reality. They do have fact-checking departments and will issue retractions. A huge problem with alternative news sources (both sides) is that they much more rarely do this, don't have any robust fact-checking process, don't have to answer to criticism in the same way and are often biased for partisan reasons. A huge problem that's been made much worse by social media.
The problem is the experts end up being funded by groups with ulterior motives and/or straight up wrong. I see no incentive to trust "experts" through experience. Honestly, 2020 did so much damage to trust in institutions. CDC? FDA? MSM? No way in hell am I trusting them when they've been caught lying by omission or explicitly and been caught with extreme conflicts of interest.

I will buy your argument that MSM is trying to represent reality. They are just inherently biased because they are run by humans.

Fact-checking? The people that helped censor people who repeated things that were true the past 8 years? Yeah, not trusting them either.

don’t you guys feel like you’re beating your head against a wall here?

Yeah, I don't know how they do it.

I couldn't engage with the likes of that for any length of time without unloading apon the idiocy spewed. I can keep my temper cooled a whole lot better since I quit drinking, now I just shake my head and mutter: "Asshole(s)".

I do applaud them for their efforts though, they do a very good job of disputing and refuting the bullshit.

Well done guys, keep up the good work.

Back