• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: American Politics

Maybe this is naive of me but I think while there is a massive massive number of idiots, the reasonable sane people still outnumber them.

And I’m curious because there’s been a few more folks from the Canes board who have been critical of Trump here lately… Have you voted Republican previously? Independent? Dem? What’s the story if you feel like sharing.
Always been "UNAffiliated" party registered, evaluated each candidate individually. Probably more Rep presidents and judges, more Dem legislators and school board on the whole over the years, but I haven't kept track. Held my nose in 2008 over Palin to vote for McCain because I respected him so much. Trump was my tipping point from the time he joined the scene and seeing what the GOP has become since then, but I still feel guilty about going 3rd party in '16 (don't even remember the dude's name). Since '16 I'm straight ballot blue until this scourge is hopefully gone (I've been on this thread since it opened - I haven't just shown up, but I think mostly lurked until COVID). Wife and I have lost quite a few family and friends to the MAGA cult. Still UNA party registered, maybe someday we'll have 2 sane parties again.... doubt it though.

Last edited:
Always been "UNAffiliated" party registered, evaluated each candidate individually. Probably more Rep presidents and judges, more Dem legislators and school board on the whole over the years, but I haven't kept track. Held my nose in 2008 over Palin to vote for McCain because I respected him so much. Trump was my tipping point from the time he joined the scene and seeing what the GOP has become since then, but I still feel guilty about going 3rd party in '16 (don't even remember the dude's name). Since '16 I'm straight ballot blue until this scourge is hopefully gone (and on this thread since FI opened - I haven't just shown up, but I think mostly lurked until COVID). Wife and I have lost quite a few family and friends to the MAGA cult. Still UNA party registered, maybe someday we'll have 2 sane parties again.... doubt it though.
Live in the triangle, eh?

Definitely the dumbest I've seen in my short time here.
kiss-blow-kiss.gif

Always been "UNAffiliated" party registered, evaluated each candidate individually. Probably more Rep presidents and judges, more Dem legislators and school board on the whole over the years, but I haven't kept track. Held my nose in 2008 over Palin to vote for McCain because I respected him so much. Trump was my tipping point from the time he joined the scene and seeing what the GOP has become since then, but I still feel guilty about going 3rd party in '16 (don't even remember the dude's name). Since '16 I'm straight ballot blue until this scourge is hopefully gone (and on this thread since FI opened - I haven't just shown up, but I think mostly lurked until COVID). Wife and I have lost quite a few family and friends to the MAGA cult. Still UNA party registered, maybe someday we'll have 2 sane parties again.... doubt it though.
Thanks for sharing. I bet there are tons with a similiar story and I feel ya on losing family to MAGA, I don’t even recognize mine anymore.

The problem is the experts end up being funded by groups with ulterior motives and/or straight up wrong. I see no incentive to trust "experts" through experience. Honestly, 2020 did so much damage to trust in institutions. CDC? FDA? MSM? No way in hell am I trusting them when they've been caught lying by omission or explicitly and been caught with extreme conflicts of interest.

I will buy your argument that MSM is trying to represent reality. They are just inherently biased because they are run by humans.

Fact-checking? The people that helped censor people who repeated things that were true the past 8 years? Yeah, not trusting them either.
It is true that some of the biggest problems we face today are because of covid, though again not for the reasons you may think. Specifically the erosion of faith in institutions and a general agreement in society about what is real and what is fake.

Perhaps when we have time we can discuss this issue specifically, because it's one that you appear to be very wrong about based on a few comments you have made. Of course, there is a huge difference between mistakes that were made by the CDC about an evolving disease we were learning about on the fly while bodybags were piling up, and this right-wing illusion that continues to this day with so many people walking about believing (and in many cases arrogantly saying) that they were "right" about covid and vaccines, when in fact they were dead wrong. RFK among them.

man, all your stories of maga family make me real grateful that that is not really something I've had to deal with much at all...

my wife does have a Trumpy uncle who moved to CO and bought a bunch of guns, but they haven't really been close for years anyways. other than that, just my dad, who was previously a Trump-apologist during his first term but has mostly cut that out now.

and if any of my conservative friends are Trumpy, they've kept that to themselves. although I know some of my dad's friends are Trumpists...

Let's say something is imported into the US. The country exporting doesn't pay the tariff, the importer does. And then the price increase is passed on to the consumer.

And that is how tariffs work.
The premise behind the tariffs, to my knowledge, is to prevent companies from offshoring labor and keeping jobs at home. Want to offshore production? Then pay for it.

I do think it is ironic how the side who wants to raise taxes on corporations, erase loopholes, etc is lecturing on how price increases are passed to consumers.

man, all your stories of maga family make me real grateful that that is not really something I've had to deal with much at all...

my wife does have a Trumpy uncle who moved to CO and bought a bunch of guns, but they haven't really been close for years anyways. other than that, just my dad, who was previously a Trump-apologist during his first term but has mostly cut that out now.

and if any of my conservative friends are Trumpy, they've kept that to themselves. although I know some of my dad's friends are Trumpists...
They tried to get my 95 year old grandfather to expand his cable package to get Fox News bc they said he was falling for propaganda, (Gramps said fuck no)

The premise behind the tariffs, to my knowledge, is to prevent companies from offshoring labor and keeping jobs at home. Want to offshore production? Then pay for it.

I do think it is ironic how the side who wants to raise taxes on corporations, erase loopholes, etc is lecturing on how price increases are passed to consumers.

i don't think you understand how tarriffs work.

there's nothing to be "passed on" to the consumer.

the consumer pays the tarriff.

It is true that some of the biggest problems we face today are because of covid, though again not for the reasons you may think. Specifically the erosion of faith in institutions and a general agreement in society about what is real and what is fake.

Perhaps when we have time we can discuss this issue specifically, because it's one that you appear to be very wrong about based on a few comments you have made. Of course, there is a huge difference between mistakes that were made by the CDC about an evolving disease we were learning about on the fly while bodybags were piling up, and this right-wing illusion that continues to this day with so many people walking about believing (and in many cases arrogantly saying) that they were "right" about covid and vaccines, when in fact they were dead wrong. RFK among them.
How about the FBI having the hunter laptop or a copy of the hard drive of it for 10 months before the existence and contents of it were revealed via the media.

And then conveniently allowing 50 intel officials to disavow it as Russian propaganda (when they really had no idea or proof) and thus giving Biden denial during the election while the FBI sat back and chilled. How about that for election interference? How about that for faith in institutions?

How about the denial of natural immunity being a stronger defense of covid than the vaccine? That was censored hardcore and derided by the CDC until they could no longer deny it.

There are so many examples of "conspiracies" that were true.

Back