• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: American Politics

yeah, i got that part. i mean his casualness re "people just want change"/"i'd prefer a democrat"/making this seem like just another election. i don't think the repercussions of another trump term are really clicking for him.
What is my vote against him going to accomplish exactly?

that might be true...certainly it's not clicking for a bunch of people voting for Trump solely because of lower taxes
Last time Trump “lowered” taxes, he raised them significantly in the blue states. I pay way more now thanks to his awesome tax reform.

I wouldn’t bother to vote in these elections. It’s the first election that I even could vote in because I only got my citizenship like two or three years ago. But there’s nothing I like about any of these clowns, so I’ll just forego my meaningless vote, which never matters in CA because the Dem nominee will always take the state whether you like them or not.
Ah, the passive, pro-autocracy position.

It's crazy to me you don't seem concerned at all that you'll be able to vote in free and fair elections going forward if Trump wins.

He already drafted an order up last time for the Sec of Defense to seize voting machines and that was before SCOTUS greenlit him doing whatever the fuck he wants.
Not to mention his explicit Project 2025 promises

I mean there are clearly big problems in the woke/dei universe. We're seeing it on full display with the treatment of Jews on campuses since October 7. It goes without saying that diversity, equity and inclusion are all good things, but the premise seems to be to categorize everyone into buckets based on race, gender, sexuality, and then decide which ones are "oppressed" and which ones are "oppressors" and treat the entire group accordingly, and that includes treating the "oppressors" in a manner that would not been deemed acceptable by reasonable people. Which is what the Nazi's did. It was one of their first steps. And I guess its no surprise that the new generation of definers of races/genders also hates jews.

And it has been exported from the universities into the corporate world. At my office, in October, the HEAD of diversity wore a keffiyeh on a call.
Its not promoting diversity and inclusion, but racism and exclusion. I am not sure why Jews always have to be the canary in the coal mine, but just look. Jews are being excluded from campuses, refused service at businesses, jewish businesses are attacked, shuls are targeted with protests and vandalism, jewish neighbourhoods are being targeted with protests and intimidation, jewish schools are being targeted, of course none of which have anything to do with Isreal's government or war. Most of my jewish friends have had the conversation "where do we go when shit hits the fan" in a very non hypothetical manner. And its not because of the Charlottesville crowd.

Its funny, because when I was a kid I just assumed that when our generation took over there wouldn't be racism/sexism/any discrimination anymore because we are so clearly all the same. Living in such a multicultural society like Canada/America its just so obvious. But its gone the complete opposite direction.

I thought exactly the same as you did.

So many people are simply just fucked in the head. I can't believe the hatred that is commonplace in the world today.

I don't understand why people hate other people because of race, religion, etc. Why can't everyone just get along FFS?

People are assholes by and large I guess, the world is fucked I'm afraid.

I'm gonna go sit on the porch now and smoke a bowl with the squirrels and bluejays and try not to think about all this shit.

I know this won't happen, but you could also just say, 'oh shit I was wrong', or 'I used the wrong words to communicate that point'.

Or, you could double down! Which, in fairness, is likely much more entertaining for most...

I know this won't happen, but you could also just say, 'oh shit I was wrong', or 'I used the wrong words to communicate that point'.

Or, you could double down! Which, in fairness, is likely much more entertaining for most...
Holy cow, you’re fucking dumb.

I need to give you substantive responses to your baseless accusations that you pull straight out of your ass? Fuck you.

Holy cow, you’re fucking dumb.
classic. instead of engaging in an argument on the merits (which you seem unable or unwilling to do), resort to ad hominem.

it's okay to admit you don't pay close attention to politics!

it's also okay to allow new information to change a previously held opinion! (scandalous, I know)

Back