• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: Movies/TV Shows

Williams allegedly stole a lot of material too. He was amazing though. One of a kind.
I think Williams mentioned that in his early days he did that & referred to it as "joke sampling". :D He said I believe along the lines that he was young & didn't know any better. Not defending what he *may* have done but at least he acknowledged it
So his Gooooooooood Morning Vietnam. It’s 06:00 what’s the O stand for? Oh my God it’s early (clearly Adrian Cronhaur’s work?) but magically sounds like his stand up ramblings. Fluke?
Yeah I think he needs a fairly strong director in his movies to reign him in whenever he "freelances" off the script too much. I think Levinson let him get it out of his system in some scenes (some of which made it into the film like the scene you described).

For like 6 weeks people tuned into millers hbo show because they wanted to be in on the jokes that they thought everybody Else understood but which, in reality, nobody understands.

But after a while I think most people came to accept that everything out of Dennis millers mouth is just verbal diarrhea.
The best and funniest episode of the Dennis Miller show was the time he had Norm McDonald on as a guest.

I think we all agree that bill maher is terrible, annoying and not funny but let’s not pretend Dennis miller is or ever was any different.
We don't all agree on Maher.

I don't agree with some of his takes (like the Trudeau is Hitler take or the "I'm done with Covid" take, to name just a couple) but he's spot on more often than not and he should be in some hall of fame just for his rant against grown men and their obsession with comic books. I gave this one a standing ovation.

I don't like comic book shit either but that is a great example of a guy that takes himself way too seriously and thinks he's way smarter than he actually is. Pretentious fuck.

We don't all agree on Maher.

I don't agree with some of his takes (like the Trudeau is Hitler take or the "I'm done with Covid" take, to name just a couple) but he's spot on more often than not and he should be in some hall of fame just for his rant against grown men and their obsession with comic books. I gave this one a standing ovation.

Ya how dare people like things that entertain them. Adulthood should be joyless.

I was never a big Cosby fan, and he was certainly no "genius". He had a long career and a very popular show for sure, but he was overrated as a comedian and also a complete and utter psychopath in ways that he can't really be compared to any of the other people with scandals because his crimes were so, so, so much worse.

Currently watching "We Need to Talk About Cosby" on Showtime and yeah, he is a piece of shit and a hypocrite.

Cosby's talk show appearances were litterally the worst ever. I recall he did a "Stand Up" comedy bit on Letterman and it was like a person trying stand up first time with no material. And people would kiss his ass like he was royalty,

I don't like comic book shit either but that is a great example of a guy that takes himself way too seriously and thinks he's way smarter than he actually is. Pretentious fuck.
He's got a show to do every week. And that rant wasn't pretentious, it was spot on and it pissed off a lot of people who didn't like it when Maher made them look in the mirror. In fact, that's where Maher gets most of his grief from: the woke left who love it when he dishes it out on conservatives but can't see, let alone laugh at, their own shortcomings.

Cosby's talk show appearances were litterally the worst ever. I recall he did a "Stand Up" comedy bit on Letterman and it was like a person trying stand up first time with no material. And people would kiss his ass like he was royalty,
And yet a lot of people think Eddie Murphy should be on Mount Rushmore based mostly on 2 concerts: Delirious and Raw. Half the stuff in those concerts was unfunny shit about his abusive, drunk father and the other half was his spot-on impersonation of Cosby. What has Murphy done in the last 30 years to engender such devotion? I mean, I like him and I was sore from laughing at Delirious, but his Disney movie stuff like the Nutty Professor are cringeworthy. Trading Places is still the best movie he ever did and that was the early 80's.

He's got a show to do every week. And that rant wasn't pretentious, it was spot on and it pissed off a lot of people who didn't like it when Maher made them look in the mirror. In fact, that's where Maher gets most of his grief from: the woke left who love it when he dishes it out on conservatives but can't see, let alone laugh at, their own shortcomings.
It's a guy bragging that he is "better" than enjoying a fun form of entertainment. Again, I don't even like comic book shit but the rant was just pretentious and obnoxious. And not comedy. Isn't he a comedian?

And I'm also not at all into comic books or superhero movies. But why would I care if other people like them?
Maher wasn't talking about people who merely "like" them. He was referring to people who make it their life so as to avoid being adults who do adult things like work or live somewhere other than their mom's basement. There is an epidemic in North America of people (mostly men) who never even bother trying to get their shit together. They are featured in damn near every single Kevin Smith movie, the loser 30-something guy who's still playing video games 8 hours a day and hanging out with other losers he's known since high school. At a certain point these people become objects of pathos. It's a pandemic of arrested adolescence that does not bode well for the future.

Maher wasn't talking about people who merely "like" them. He was referring to people who make it their life so as to avoid being adults who do adult things like work or live somewhere other than their mom's basement. There is an epidemic in North America of people (mostly men) who never even bother trying to get their shit together. They are featured in damn near every single Kevin Smith movie, the loser 30-something guy who's still playing video games 8 hours a day and hanging out with other losers he's known since high school. At a certain point these people become objects of pathos. It's a pandemic of arrested adolescence that does not bode well for the future.

Comics, video games and lifelong friends? Sounds like a terrible life.

Back