• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: Movies/TV Shows

It's funny because I didn't like Maher's comic book rant for some of the reasons expressed here, and while it is on point to a certain extent it is also hypocritical and kind of silly. Just because someone hates comic books but is really into WW2 movies and books instead doesn't mean a goddamn thing. But a lot of his rants are really well constructed and also very funny.

However, this idea that Maher doesn't agree with every single point on our team's Purity Test checklist so now he must be excommunicated is idiotic. Honestly it's shocking. And we can't even just say it's sad that covid has him doing an "old man yells at cloud" routine right now, instead we have to shit on everything he ever did.

And again, the fact that he invites people from across the political spectrum on his show is a STRENGTH, not a WEAKNESS. Yes he's pretentious and smarmy, it's part of his persona but he is also a smart and funny guy respected in the comedy world. A lot of people respect him in comedy just like they do with Norm MacDonald.

His standup comedy was legit funny. He was funny on Politically Incorrect and Real Time. His talk show spots are generally hilarious (Larry King episodes were great), and there is almost always a couple of great lines in his monologues. I have to assume some of you haven't watched much of his actual material other than recent episodes looking for something to get offended by. It's bizarre.

I don't hate him because I disagree with him; in fact I probably agree with his beliefs more than many in media. I hate him because he's pretentious. Same reason I hate Glenn Greenwald and Beleafer really. Has nothing to do with their beliefs.

And with Maher I don't find him funny so I'm not sure what I'm supposed to get out of him. It's just an obnoxious douchebag thinking he's better than people because he believes certain things that others don't. Not entertaining for me, but he has fans so I acknowledge it works for him.

Oddly enough that's one reason I posted that discussion about Bill Cosby, as they discussed a few stories they'd heard about him and how the fame went to his head and convinced him he was way better than everybody else. As Maher said, he isn't the only one like that in Hollywood but that doesn't explain the obscene level of criming.

He's a rich guy getting older who lives a great life in California and wants to get back to eating at fancy restaurants and hanging around with models and rock stars. So covid sucks a lot more for him than it does for Preston or myself who stay home most of the time either way.

I made the point that I think Norm is overrated and not as funny as people say, but that doesn't mean I need to go around shitting on everything he ever did and that he was never funny. It's wrong and it's stupid. You don't get to that level without being funny. A few one trick ponies like Bobcat Goldthwait or Carrot Top maybe, perhaps Dice, but these guys are both well respected by their peers and millions of fans because they managed to be both clever and funny and found a niche that nobody else was doing and crushed it.

Last edited:
I don't even know what his covid takes are. I've heard a lot of him over the years and my evaluation is that he's annoying, terrible and unfunny. Three things I dislike about comedians. So I have chosen to not watch his program.

Also fully acknowledged that there is a market for people like him. He has become successful playing the "intellectual." It works for him. But as a consumer I have chosen to not view his product because that is my choice. I am not canceling him. I just think he sucks ass.

Yeah, I’m in Presto’s camp on this one.

I’ve got no particular beef with Maher or desire to see him “cancelled”, but from what little I’ve seen of him I’ve never found him particularly funny, interesting or likeable. So I just haven’t watched his stuff over the years he’s been around.

So his recent dumbassery on Trudeau doesn’t really change anything for me, but it certainly isn’t enticing me to pick now as the time to start paying attention to Bill Maher.

Oddly enough that's one reason I posted that discussion about Bill Cosby, as they discussed a few stories they'd heard about him and how the fame went to his head and convinced them he was way better than everybody else. As Maher said, he isn't the only one like that in Hollywood but that doesn't explain the obscene level of criming.

He's a rich guy getting older who lives a great life in California and wants to get back to eating at fancy restaurants and hanging around with models and rock stars. So covid sucks a lot more for him than it does for Preston or myself who stay home most of the time either way.

I made the point that I think Norm is overrated and not as funny as people say, but that doesn't mean I need to go around shitting on everything he ever did and that he was never funny. It's wrong and it's stupid. You don't get to that level without being funny. A few one trick ponies like Bobcat Goldthwait or Carrot Top maybe, perhaps Dice, but these guys are both well respected by their peers and millions of fans because they managed to be both clever and funny and found a niche that nobody else was doing and crushed it.
Cosby was raping even before he was a household name. He's been that way since Day One. attaining fame and fortune only enabled him to do it more brazenly, do it more often, employ minions to facilitate him and cover for him, and ultimately, to get himself out of prison. But he would have been doing this no matter what arc his career took. He's just a rapey fuck.

I've never found Maher funny or intelligent tbh. some of my friends watched him religiously but i just could never.

but the guy is extremely political by choice so he's gonna take the same heat as any political commentator takes.

his covid takes are shitty but nowhere near as shitty as his take on islamic-based cultures.

I've never found Maher funny or intelligent tbh. some of my friends watched him religiously but i just could never.

but the guy is extremely political by choice so he's gonna take the same heat as any political commentator takes.

his covid takes are shitty but nowhere near as shitty as his take on islamic-based cultures.

Uh huh?

Yeah those Islamic-based cultures are a model for the world.

Uh huh?

Yeah those Islamic-based cultures are a model for the world.

yes, i know - muslims are savages.

Back