• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: Movies/TV Shows

never did it for me. his monologue has always been jay leno level stuff to me, from all the way back.
I suspect you haven't watched very many of them, certainly not with an open mind. Obviously comedy is subjective, like whoever you want and I guess I would add that Jay Leno's actual comedy act on stage was really funny, but the monologues were almost always garbage so this is a very bizarre take to me.

Nick Di Paolo is a hardcore right winger. Dude was funny. So no liberal purity test for me when it comes to comedy.

Maher is simply unfunny and not as smart as he thinks he is. Which is a terrible combo for a human being and one I have no interest in watching. And I've seen a lot of him. But I'm not mad that some people do enjoy him. That's legal. Freedom!

I suspect you haven't watched very many of them, certainly not with an open mind.

lol like what the fuck man?

"certainly not with an open mind" get the fuck out of here.

the dude ran parallel to my beliefs most of the time. what would i possibly have had against him?

you're right I haven't watched a lot because no matter how many times people told me he was funny every time I watched i felt more embarassed that people thought it was funny then ever actually laughing.

He goes for the "smile and nod your head in agreement" reaction to his "jokes."

Which of course isn't comedy. It's just a guy thinking he's saying intelligent things to an audience thinking they're intelligent for "getting it."

I think you guys are misinterpreting what I meant by "liberal purity test". Lately it seems there's a checklist of opinions on the left, and you must agree with "our team" on every single point. Especially on covid. You can have a tiny bit of nuance here and there but must still agree enough to get that check mark! Otherwise, you're suddenly a right-wing nutjob. Maher is obviously a political person aligned with the left on most issues, even Rogan isn't a "right-winger". There are several other examples of people getting called this for one comment or opinion that goes against the mainstream.

The right does this too of course, has for a long time and it's one of the reasons we mock them so much because it's complete and utter bullshit. Never about what you actually believe, but about being a good member of "the team" and it comes down to each side shouting a list of talking points at each other.

It's stupid, and it's dangerous.

Your mistake is thinking that I give a shit or even know what Maher thinks on certain topics. He's supposed to be a comedian. What the fuck do I care about his opinion on masks or whatever it is that you're implying? Just do your job and make me laugh. If you don't, goodbye.

Check Twitter, people are turning on Maher like crazy because he sometimes criticizes liberals and has gotten cranky about covid and woke millenials. And suddenly some people start saying his show sucks and he was never funny. It's just a totally random coincidence that the exact same thing is happening here at the exact same time, I guess.

I don't even know exactly what his take on covid is, I don't watch every show but I'm pretty sure he's vaccinated and understand the caution in the early days, but after hosting the show from his house for a few months and then in an empty studio he started to get a little pissy about it.

If you're just basing it on comedy and laughter it's even a more bizarre take since the man has obviously been very funny for many years.

never did it for me. his monologue has always been jay leno level stuff to me, from all the way back.
Jay Leno crushes Maher in funniness, and that's pathetic.

That weekly bit that Maher does, like the pseudo weekend update thing, is honestly unwatchable. I don't get the laughs.

Check Twitter, people are turning on Maher like crazy because he sometimes criticizes liberals and has gotten cranky about covid and the woke mob. And suddenly some people start saying his show sucks and he was never funny. It's just a totally random coincidence that the exact same thing is happening here at the exact same time, I guess.

I don't even know exactly what his take on covid is, I don't watch every show but I'm pretty sure he's vaccinated and understand the caution in the early days, but after hosting the show from his house for a few months and then in an empty studio he started to get a little pissy about it.

If you're just basing it on comedy and laughter it's even a more bizarre take since the man has obviously been very funny for many years.
Yeah I'm not gonna take responsibility for a select few people on twitter. So let's stop that nonsense right there. I think he's unfunny and you are taking that personally for some reason.

Check Twitter, people are turning on Maher like crazy because he sometimes criticizes liberals and has gotten cranky about covid and the woke mob. And suddenly some people start saying his show sucks and he was never funny. It's just a totally random coincidence that the exact same thing is happening here at the exact same time, I guess.

Alternate theory: He's steadily lost the fucking plot over the last 2-3 years like most American commentators. He stopped being consistently funny much longer ago than that.

I think you guys are misinterpreting what I meant by "liberal purity test". Lately it seems there's a checklist of opinions on the left, and you must agree with "our team" on every single point. Especially on covid. You can have a tiny bit of nuance here and there but must still agree enough to get that check mark! Otherwise, you're suddenly a right-wing nutjob. Maher is obviously a political person aligned with the left on most issues, even Rogan isn't a "right-winger". There are several other examples of people getting called this for one comment or opinion that goes against the mainstream.

The right does this too of course, has for a long time and it's one of the reasons we mock them so much because it's complete and utter bullshit. Never about what you actually believe, but about being a good member of "the team" and it comes down to each side shouting a list of talking points at each other.

It's stupid, and it's dangerous.
Yep.
I'm triple vaxxed, haven't bitched about things in general, but I find that now, when I suggest things that don't fall in line with the henny-pennys, I get flak.

Not everywhere, but it happens. I'm someone who believes that we've have done what was asked, and now the % of vaccinated people means it's time to open up and yes, I have definitely noticed that not toeing the party line exactly upsets some people.

i am shocked maher is still a thing

used to watch his politically incorrect show back in the day - was decent depending on the guests

i am shocked maher is still a thing

used to watch his politically incorrect show back in the day - was decent depending on the guests
I hated him then more than now somehow. I think he’s improved. But in truth, I’ve maybe watched a combined total of 3-4 hours of Maher in my lifetime. Can’t sit through it.

Back