• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: Movies/TV Shows

He agreed with Sam Harris' take on it, and it was controversial because once again it didn't pass the liberal purity test.

We all agree that the radicals are crazy people dressed up as fundamentalists misinterpreting the Quran, and that are many millions of peaceful law-abiding Muslims. That's true and there's nothing wrong with that. But as someone once posted some data about (pretty sure it was Mindz), 50%+ of Muslims in the U.K. believe that homosexuals should be jailed.

There's nothing wrong with calling people out for their shitty beliefs. And this certainly applies to all religions. Ignore that at your own peril.

He agreed with Sam Harris' take on it, and it was controversial because once again it didn't pass the liberal purity test.

We all agree that the radicals are crazy people dressed up as fundamentalists misinterpreting the Quran, and that are many millions of peaceful law-abiding Muslims. That's true and there's nothing wrong with that. But as someone once posted some data about (pretty sure it was Mindz), 50%+ of Muslims in the U.K. believe that homosexuals should be jailed.

There's nothing wrong with calling people out for their shitty beliefs. And this certainly applies to all religions. Ignore that at your own peril.

you really got to knock off this "liberal purity test" nonsense.

Maher has been very clear that he thinks muslims are inherently violent and savage.

Yeah this whole "I disagree with this one thing one guy said" or "I find this guy unfunny" automatically equaling liberal purity/liberal cancel culture has infected axl lately. Anyone have a cure? Paxlovid maybe?

maher has been very clear that he thinks muslims are inherently a more violent and savage people.
more overtly savage perhaps, but the US is dotted with "Bible camps" where they are training soldiers for a new crusade. They just aren't openly killing people the way Muslims are....yet.

Yeah this whole "I disagree with this one thing one guy said" or "I find this guy unfunny" automatically equaling liberal purity/liberal cancel culture has infected axl lately. Anyone have a cure? Paxlovid maybe?

Maher wasn't even "cancelled" for his muslim comments, of course.

You know what's even worse than that? Saying I disagree with this one thing this guy said, or I find him unfunny, therefore HE IS AN ASSHOLE JERK WHO WAS NEVER FUNNY NOT EVEN ONE TIME HIS WHOLE CAREER SUCKS.

You know what's even worse than that? Saying I disagree with this one thing this guy said, or I find him unfunny, therefore HE IS AN ASSHOLE JERK WHO WAS NEVER FUNNY NOT EVEN ONE TIME HIS WHOLE CAREER SUCKS.
Not really. That's called an opinion. A fact would be that he has had a tremendously successful career and has many fans. Which we have all acknowledged. Are you trying to cancel our opinions?

You said Norm MacDonald is overrated and after jokingly banning you I got over it.

The Associated Press is reporting that ABC is canceling Bill Maher's late-night topical talk show, "Politically Incorrect," and replacing it with an entertainment show led by Comedy Central's Jimmy Kimmel. Daily Variety confirms that Kimmel has been signed to a contract.

"Politically Incorrect" has been on thin ice since just after the September 11 terrorist attacks, when host Maher was quoted as referring to past United States military actions as "cowardly." FedEx and Sears pulled their advertising from the show.

The raping didn't make Cosby less funny.

Do you guys actually find yourself laughing when you watch maher's show? i can't actually believe that.

He's said a lot about Christianity that he hasn't been canceled for either. He's also been pro-Israel and that pisses off the pro-Palestinians (who unfortunately don't fundraise anywhere near as well as the pro-Israel lobby)

Like Maher, I think all religion is objectively awful but Islam is far less tolerant than Christianity about a lot of things and anyone who says it isn't is just not paying attention. And as Maher also points out, the reason why Islamic countries are so hard core is basically down to them not being able to get laid.

Do you guys actually find yourself laughing when you watch maher's show? i can't actually believe that.
You must not have watched it very much, because yes. It was a very funny show. Not that good lately though, because as I mentioned Maher seems to have adopted an "old man yells at cloud" persona lately. But I cut some slack for a lot of people because covid sucks in every conceivable way so I get that everyone will react to it differently.

The Associated Press is reporting that ABC is canceling Bill Maher's late-night topical talk show, "Politically Incorrect," and replacing it with an entertainment show led by Comedy Central's Jimmy Kimmel. Daily Variety confirms that Kimmel has been signed to a contract.

"Politically Incorrect" has been on thin ice since just after the September 11 terrorist attacks, when host Maher was quoted as referring to past United States military actions as "cowardly." FedEx and Sears pulled their advertising from the show.
The truth hurts.

He also got cancelled in part because he said that whatever else the 9-11 terrorists might have been, one thing you couldn't call them was atheists. That didn't sit well with evangelicals.

You must not have watched it very much, because yes. It was a very funny show. Not that good lately though, because as I mentioned Maher seems to have adopted an "old man yells at cloud" persona lately. But I cut some slack for a lot of people because covid sucks in every conceivable way so I get that everyone will react to it differently.

like you have actually laughed out loud at a maher joke? really?

I never miss it, and I always laugh, not necessarily at everything and he pisses me off a lot of times, especially when he has some right wing shitgibbon guest who doesn't engage but merely shouts talking points like Kellyanne Conway, but his show is entertaining and informative.

I do miss Cornell West's appearances on Real Time. Not sure what happened there but he used to be a semi-regular panelist and he's never on anymore.

never did it for me. his monologue has always been jay leno level stuff to me, from all the way back.

Yup. Hacky, cheap laughs. But nothing actually funny. He's a political commentator, which is fine. People enjoy that stuff. As 101 said though, you just can't call it comedy.

Dennis Miller has shitty politics, but he'll always have been hilarious.

james woods is an extreme political shitbird but i'll always love him to death as an actor.

bill maher has always been a guy that to me thinks he's way smarter than he actually is. a guy who makes fun of the very dumbest people to make himself feel smart.

Back