• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: Movies/TV Shows

I was frankly kinda bored by that episode and was only half watching the hospital scenes while on my phone. I thought the doctor said something like, huh, this one ends up making it and that one died randomly from smoke, some crazy world. I’ll rewatch that scene, but my memory of the old episode was that Jack was done and got dressed to leave when he died. That he wasn’t waiting for the doctor. I’ll need to find that clip too. I don’t think they replayed it in this episode?
That's what happened in the old episode, but like happens in that show.... they later showed the rest of the story. It showed that the doctor was rattled because he felt he could have save him if he hadn't had to save the kid instead.

But the bright side is that the kid went on to become very important to the world.

This Is Us. Nothing like a soap opera. Just an excellent show.

Hate to break it to you but almost all prestige dramas are soaps, including stuff that I love like Breaking Bad. The difference lies in the execution and the artistry.

Jack wasn't checking out of the hospital he was staying to be monitored for smoke inhalation. The doctor leaves and says he's coming back in a bit, but he has to take care of the kid when jack has the heart attack:

He says they need to still run some tests and he leaves him in the care of his staff, who presumably were going to be running said tests. He doesn't have a nurse bust in and prevent him from looking him over. He did everything he was going to do and then went to the next patient. And Jack died before he got back. So he didn't die "because" the doctor had to save the other patient. He would've died just the same had the doctor been in the next room while the staff was getting ready to run, or was in the process of running, the tests.

There isn't the causal link from anything I've seen. The point here was to show the "dichotomy", which is the word they repeated a few times. One guy looking perfectly fine and dropping dead unexpectedly, another one in critical condition and making it out alive. And then the latter achieves breakthroughs in the field of the former's wife's ailment.

It's more or less the same thing, but to say he died "because" the doctor was away implies that if the doctor had stayed, he'd have lived. The doctor simply wasn't in the room, and was with the kid, when it happened. And had he been with Jack, the same result from the looks of things.

Hate to break it to you but almost all prestige dramas are soaps, including stuff that I love like Breaking Bad. The difference lies in the execution and the artistry.
Oh yeah? Guess I don't know the definition.

If This Is Us and Breaking Bad are soap operas... I'm cool with some soaps.

My perception of a soap is a show with cheesy/campy acting, really bad writing with very bizarre/unrealistic twists.

Also passed in the lemons/lemonade family saying to the other family which helped the kid persevere when his cancer study was defended and go make an alzheimer cure instead.
Yeah, their crossing paths had an impact on each other. But the doctor's absence didn't cause the death, imo.

He says they need to still run some tests and he leaves him in the care of his staff, who presumably were going to be running said tests. He doesn't have a nurse bust in and prevent him from looking him over. He did everything he was going to do and then went to the next patient. And Jack died before he got back. So he didn't die "because" the doctor had to save the other patient. He would've died just the same had the doctor been in the next room while the staff was getting ready to run, or was in the process of running, the tests.

There isn't the causal link from anything I've seen. The point here was to show the "dichotomy", which is the word they repeated a few times. One guy looking perfectly fine and dropping dead unexpectedly, another one in critical condition and making it out alive. And then the latter achieves breakthroughs in the field of the former's wife's ailment.

It's more or less the same thing, but to say he died "because" the doctor was away implies that if the doctor had stayed, he'd have lived. The doctor simply wasn't in the room, and was with the kid, when it happened. And had he been with Jack, the same result from the looks of things.
That's you trying to look at it rationally. The doctor absolutely looked rattled and felt the he could have saved Jack had he not been saving the kid.

That's what happened in the old episode, but like happens in that show.... they later showed the rest of the story. It showed that the doctor was rattled because he felt he could have save him if he hadn't had to save the kid instead.

But the bright side is that the kid went on to become very important to the world.
I don't think I saw that. Are you referring to the scene when he comes back down and learns Jack died?

Like I said earlier, his comments there weren't anything to the effect of "oh shit, if I was down here I could've saved him", but rather "what a crazy world we live in that one guy presenting with no real problem died abruptly and a kid on death's doorstep survives unexpectedly."

That's you trying to look at it rationally. The doctor absolutely looked rattled and felt the he could have saved Jack had he not been saving the kid.
Rewatch that scene. You're reading waaaaay too much into it. The doctor was surprised to hear the news, there was nothing whatsoever about being rattled and feeling he could've saved him.

He's embarrassed by a quality family show, but vigorously defends in the same thread a franchise where 50% of the dialogue has been variations of "beep boop bloopity doop meesah meesah". That one isn't embarrassing.
It's a masculinity thing. Guys are supposed to be into sci-fi and action. Something that gives you feels though?? People might think I'm gay. I mean look at Habsy, in 3 separate posts he had to assert his masculinity by calling it a soap so that nobody would thing he was gay.

It's a masculinity thing. Guys are supposed to be into sci-fi and action. Something that gives you feels though?? People might think I'm gay. I mean look at Habsy, in 3 separate posts he had to asset his masculinity by calling it a soap so that nobody would thing he was gay.
Yup, and yet everyone knows he is, so why even bother?

Thou doth protest too much, Habsay!

Rewatch that scene. You're reading waaaaay too much into it. The doctor was surprised to hear the news, there was nothing whatsoever about being rattled and feeling he could've saved him.
Are you talking about the original scene or the one from the final episode?

Everyone laughs at Dallas here too. Soap, camp, crap, etc.

Literally one of the best shows in history. Still stands up in every way, except maybe hairstyles and pants.

Back