• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The Official Toronto Raptors Thread

The Athletic piece provides more context

>>>Accordingly, the onus will be on Ujiri to find a way to co-exist with Rogers, and less on Rogers himself. It was reportedly Rogers who was the most skeptical about paying Ujiri like a top-of-market executive in 2021, two years after Ujiri’s Raptors won the NBA Finals. It was also Rogers who was most acutely against MLSE going after a WNBA expansion team, with the Toronto Star reporting last October that Rogers’ relationship with Ujiri was a factor in MLSE not going down that road. (To be clear, it was not the determining factor.) That is what led Tanenbaum to start KSV, the company that purchased the expansion team.

In other words, Ujiri has had to deal with Rogers for his entire tenure running the Raptors, which dates to 2013. He has not, though, had to deal with Rogers as the ultimate authority within MLSE and, therefore, the Raptors. The nature of the relationship changes. Rogers isn’t a boss within MLSE now; he is the boss.

Does Ujiri, who has largely had carte blanche to run the Raptors as he has seen fit, have the stomach to deal with Rogers? Looking at the Blue Jays, Rogers hasn’t appeared to interfere too closely in day-to-day baseball matters. The Blue Jays spent into the competitive balance tax in 2023 and were poised to do so again this year before the season went comically awry.

The Athletic piece provides more context

>>>Accordingly, the onus will be on Ujiri to find a way to co-exist with Rogers, and less on Rogers himself. It was reportedly Rogers who was the most skeptical about paying Ujiri like a top-of-market executive in 2021, two years after Ujiri’s Raptors won the NBA Finals. It was also Rogers who was most acutely against MLSE going after a WNBA expansion team, with the Toronto Star reporting last October that Rogers’ relationship with Ujiri was a factor in MLSE not going down that road. (To be clear, it was not the determining factor.) That is what led Tanenbaum to start KSV, the company that purchased the expansion team.

In other words, Ujiri has had to deal with Rogers for his entire tenure running the Raptors, which dates to 2013. He has not, though, had to deal with Rogers as the ultimate authority within MLSE and, therefore, the Raptors. The nature of the relationship changes. Rogers isn’t a boss within MLSE now; he is the boss.

Does Ujiri, who has largely had carte blanche to run the Raptors as he has seen fit, have the stomach to deal with Rogers? Looking at the Blue Jays, Rogers hasn’t appeared to interfere too closely in day-to-day baseball matters. The Blue Jays spent into the competitive balance tax in 2023 and were poised to do so again this year before the season went comically awry.
Damn. See ya, Masai

Unpopular opinion:

I am fully aware of VC's impact on Canada basketball. And he did provide some of the most memorable moments for us as Raptors fans. He crossed the line though. That logo shouldn't be the Raptor dunking, it should be him fake rolling on the floor.

Can you imagine AM34 pulling this now, forcing a move to another franchise and then years later get a jersey instead of all the other players who gave their heart and souls to the Leafs?

Unpopular opinion:

I am fully aware of VC's impact on Canada basketball. And he did provide some of the most memorable moments for us as Raptors fans. He crossed the line though. That logo shouldn't be the Raptor dunking, it should be him fake rolling on the floor.

Can you imagine AM34 pulling this now, forcing a move to another franchise and then years later get a jersey instead of all the other players who gave their heart and souls to the Leafs?
I'd agree with you ten years ago...I was super bitter the way he left and the potential wasted. But that dunk contest is up there for most memorable ever and he was a Raptor in it. I think VC knows he didn't handle things the best and I think many fans have forgiven him (including myself). A championship heals all wounds, I guess. It looks like to me the Raps are heading down the road to retire his jersey as well so may as well lean into it imo. But yeah, I get how you might feel otherwise.

Lowry first, then Vince. But yeah, the Vince Effect was and is real. Put us on the map. Made the Raps cool and pulp culture relevant. Half-Man, Half- Amazing.

It was too bad that the basketball culture at the time was a "do it yourself" culture to emulate MJ. But if they played T-Mac in his first year... or he wasn't a bitch, that team could have been legendary.

The way VC left was all bitch, but those first couple of years.... and no other fan base loves him like we do.

Lowry first, then Vince. But yeah, the Vince Effect was and is real. Put us on the map. Made the Raps cool and pulp culture relevant. Half-Man, Half- Amazing.

It was too bad that the basketball culture at the time was a "do it yourself" culture to emulate MJ. But if they played T-Mac in his first year... or he wasn't a bitch, that team could have been legendary.

The way VC left was all bitch, but those first couple of years.... and no other fan base loves him like we do.
I'd agree with you ten years ago...I was super bitter the way he left and the potential wasted. But that dunk contest is up there for most memorable ever and he was a Raptor in it. I think VC knows he didn't handle things the best and I think many fans have forgiven him (including myself). A championship heals all wounds, I guess. It looks like to me the Raps are heading down the road to retire his jersey as well so may as well lean into it imo. But yeah, I get how you might feel otherwise.

Agreed with many points, the memories, impact on basketball, him being the victim of the 'do it yourself' culture, championship healing everything etc.

Had he trashed the city every chance he got after he left; had he asked for a trade; had he pulled a LeGM and pushed for trades that didn't work out etc. I would've forgiven him long ago. The memories and impact on Canada basketball means SO MUCH.

However, he broke the golden rule of sports: you do not throw games under any circumstances. Some throw games they gamble on, some, like VC, fake injuries or when they play, they do so at 10% of their abilities, to lose games and force their way out.

You do not forgive, let alone celebrate, someone who broke the golden rule. In fact, for me, it'd be embarrassing if the raps retired his jersey. His celebration should end with this city jersey.

One more thing to add, if I ever see VC, I will shake his hand, I will tell him how much he meant to this once young and very new to the country fan, and how much I appreciated his impact on today's Canada basketball. So this is not personal or anything. I just don't think a franchise should go beyond call of duty and celebrate someone who quit on them the way he did.

Yes the return certainly adds to the wound. However, as an example, we also had Muskoka five. I'm not going to hold a grudge against those guys forever.

Vince...his case is different. He broke the golden rule.
Your golden rule. The Raps were going to squander his career if he stayed here and "tried".

Unpopular opinion:

shhh-shush.gif

Back