• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

We should be capitalizing on the Latin-american talent as well as the Japanese.

Thats where i really feel AA has let us down the last couple of years. these guys are available for only money.

We should be capitalizing on the Latin-american talent as well as the Japanese.

Thats where i really feel AA has let us down the last couple of years. these guys are available for only money.

No reason why this team shouldn't spending on that type of talent. It has the money.

Money still doesn't mask the fact that players have historically not wanted to come to Canada. To get a player like Cano or McCann we would need to grossly overpay. Not that I have a issue with overpaying for the likes of Cano, but you can't deny the fact that it is very hard to attract FAs here.

Beurhle even publicly said that he never imagined being a Toronto Blue Jay.

What major international player have we signed as a Free Agent in the past 20 years? Cabrera?

Throughout the history of the Toronto Blue Jays, even during the WS years this team has always been built through trades or drafting.

Saying that not signing FAs is unique just to AA is completely wrong.

Last edited:
We were consistently one of the top spending teams from the late 80's to mid 90's.

We're close to the top again now.

What are we, 11th or 12th? All Rogers did last year was get us to the middle of the pack. It will go up this year due to contracts but more places need to be added if they want to win.

Aren't you the one always saying money is not and issue for this team and we have a good owner ready to spend?

I believe we have an owner ready and willing to spend.

Just the management and coaching staff seem to be off.

The one thing that gets me is the fact that we spend all this money last year to bring in talent and we cut out on a quality coach. We get some retread with no history of winning. I almost lost my mind at the time of hire, but home team optimism got the best of me and i bought a flexpack.

One thing is for certain, i will not be fooled again.

I believe we have an owner ready and willing to spend.

Just the management and coaching staff seem to be off.

The one thing that gets me is the fact that we spend all this money last year to bring in talent and we cut out on a quality coach. We get some retread with no history of winning. I almost lost my mind at the time of hire, but home team optimism got the best of me and i bought a flexpack.

One thing is for certain, i will not be fooled again.

+1

Dave Winfield, Jack Morris, Dave Stewart?

Randy Myers, BJ Ryan?

Myers and Ryan are closers. Those were bad deals. Overpaying for a closer is an easy way to get them to sign.

I forgot about Stewert and I thought Morris was via trade so my bad there.

However, in general the Jays have always had issues bringing in high priced talent throughout their history.

They need to grossly overpay or be on the verge of greatness. TO has never been a preferred destination for established superstars.

What are we, 11th or 12th? All Rogers did last year was get us to the middle of the pack. It will go up this year due to contracts but more places need to be added if they want to win.

Aren't you the one always saying money is not and issue for this team and we have a good owner ready to spend?

Money isn't an issue, but getting people to sign here is. We got to near the top because of trades.

They haven't "sucked" for 20 years.

1998 = 88 wins
2003 = 86 wins
2006 = 87 wins
2008 = 86 wins
2010 = 85 wins

You can almost guarantee if they played in another division at least 2 of those years would have been playoff years, maybe more.

They also had:

1999 = 84 wins
2000 = 83 wins
2007 = 83 wins
2011 = 81 wins

What else do you label a franchise that has, at its best, had middle of the pack seasons 5 times in 20 years and maybe would have made the playoffs twice in a shitty division.

The fact is when the Jays were competing they attracted a ton of top free agents.

Back