• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

Current Team & Payroll for 2014:

SP M.Buehrle (35): $18.0
SP R.Dickey (39): $12.0
SP B.Morrow (29): $8.0
SP R.Romero (29): $7.5
SP J.Happ (31): $5.2

SP Total: $50.7

RP C.Janssen (32): $4.0
RP S.Santos (30): $3.75
RP D.McGowan (32): $1.5
RP A.Loup (26): $0.5
RP S.Delabar (30): $0.5
RP B.Cecil (27): Arby
RP E.Rogers (28): Arby

RP Total: ~$12.0

Pitch Total: ~$63.0

SS J.Reyes (31): $16.0
CF C.Rasmus (27): Arby
RF J.Bautista (33): $14.0
DH E.En'cion (31): $9.0
1B A.Lind (30): $7.0
3B B.Lawrie (24): $0.5
LF M.Cabrera (29): $8.0
2B M.Izturis (33): $3.0
C J.Arencibia (28): Arby

UT M.DeRosa (39): $0.75
OF K.Pillar (25): $0.5
IF R.Goins (26): $0.5
C J.Thole (27): $1.25

Bat Total: ~$72.0

Team Total: ~$135.0

Minor League Options (i.e. near league minimum salaries):

SP D.Hutchison (23)
SP K.Drabek (26)
SP S.Nolin (24)
SP M.Stroman (23)
SP T.Redmond (29)
SP D.McGuire (25)

RP N.Wagner (30)
RP L.Perez (29)
RP B.Lincoln (29)
RP J.Stilson (24)
RP J.Carreno (27)
RP M.Storey (28)
RP C.Jenkins (26)
RP T.Weber (29)
RP A.Farina (27)

CF A.Gose (23)
RF M.Sierra (25)
LF K.Wilson (24)
3B A.Burns (23)
SS
2B
1B
C A.Jimenez (24)

Unless Rogers substancially increases payroll, AA will have to have a ninja-like offseason to improve this team.

I dunno. I still look at that roster and think it should be pretty good.

A couple of smart pickups to address a couple of the issue spots - SP, 2B, C - and it could be a very good team still.

I dunno. I still look at that roster and think it should be pretty good.

A couple of smart pickups to address a couple of the issue spots - SP, 2B, C - and it could be a very good team still.

I agree. But it will have be done via trade most likely.

How do the free agents look at 2B / C?

2B - Cano is out of our league. Infante would be decent but he'll cost $8-10m I think. Roberts would be an interesting gamble for cheap.

C - McCann is the big fish, but probably the big overpay too. Salty and Pierzynski would be interesting but probably overpaid too. Carlos Ruiz might be the smart play here.

SP - Tanaka is the big fish, but probably out of our league. Lots of interesting options though - Kuroda, Garza, Jimenez, Santana, Halladay, Nolasco, Colon, Haren, Kazmir, Hudson.

I said from the beginning Halladay would re-sign here once his contract with Philadelphia ended and it looks like a good possibility now. Plus I think he'll be an effective starter again once he's healthy.

Halladay IMO is going to look for a 1 year deal where he has a chance to win, and also boost his numbers to get a better deal a year from now.

Not sure there is that appeal going to the Rogers Center

As much as I like Halladay I would have to say no to bringing him back. He had a mediocre and injury filled 2012 season as well. He seems be at the end of the road.

I'd bring Roy Halladay in and immediately give him Roger CLemens phone number.

BUt seriously, he'd be a good guy to get on a decent deal. His work ethic is what would be most appealing. Its not unheard of for a player to regain form in their late 30's.

I have to think AA is going to focus on 2 things when looking for a SP this offseason

1) Health track record
2) excellent ground ball rate.

I'd take Halladay.

how nice would it be to see him sign here and the Jays go on to win the World Series?

Poetic in the world of sports.

If there is a pitcher out there that I could see turn it around from an awful season it's Halladay. The Jays would be very smart to pick him up for very little money.

I'm also wondering if Doc is really patient before he signs a deal.

Waits til the middle of the season to get himself ready and let the landscape of the MLB determine who is a contender or not

Roy Halladay is coming off arguably the worst year of his career, a former ace fallen from grace and looking for another chance. Meanwhile, the franchise with whom he became a star, the Toronto Blue Jays, are still reeling from what might just be their most disappointing season in decades and is looking to repair a largely broken starting rotation with their backs against the wall.

And just as they were destined to part ways with Doc in the search for a World Series ring and the team needing the prospects from that move, their respective quests for redemption from rock bottom could bring the back together.

If it almost seems too easy, that’s probably because it is — there had to be a catch. While you could probably say that most Blue Jays fans would be happy to have Doc back in the organization, whether it’d be a good baseball move hinges on the 36-year-old’s surgically shoulders. Even though the workhorse had supposedly worked hard to come back from it, his career-low 88.7 mph average fastball velocity in 2013 told a different story.

No, Halladay wasn’t right at all, and you didn’t even need to look at his 6.82/1.47 ERA/WHIP, 5.23 BB/9 and -0.8 fWAR through 62 innings to know it.

Any team looking to sign the righty would have to willingly ignore all of that, of course. In fact, it’d be hard to argue that, with neither time nor health being on his side, Doc’s next contract will be signed solely based on past performance; fortunately for him, he just happens to be arguably the very best pitcher of the last generation, so it’s not like he’ll have a hard time finding a guaranteed contract as a free agent this offseason.

But is Toronto the best fit for him to rebuild his value?

While his contributions to the Blue Jays franchise are unquestioned (he’s a lock for the Level of Excellence at the Rogers Center one day), how much he can contribute to the team’s chances to compete in 2014 is fairly questionable. It’s not really a matter of if he’s capable of doing it, more that the team doesn’t have a whole lot of room for what might happen if he doesn’t.

Even if the two sides agreed on a one-year, make-good deal, imagine how demoralizing it would be for the team and its fan base if the beloved Doc was having a Josh Johnson-esque season by the middle of June?

After the failure of 2013, the Blue Jays surely won’t have a whole lot of patience for players finding their groove, and falling out of the race early in the season for one more year could mean big changes for the current regime. If the team is going to bring players in, it’s going to be with the expectation that they can help the team contend — and contend immediately.

That extends to even do-no-wrong fan favourites like Halladay, and the thing is … well, it’s very uncertain whether he can provide that to this, or any team.

The upside is there, of course. After all that the veteran has accomplished, he’s at least earned that benefit of the doubt. Upside, however, suggests an undesirable floor to begin with; and being that the Blue Jays have already had their fair share of troubles with imploding starting rotations, adding one more potentially busted arm to the mix might just end up doing the team more harm than good — especially when that arm belongs to one of the city’s favourite sons.

Read more at http://www.rantsports.com/mlb/2013/...-take-place-in-offseason/?LvplfE073XwlT4r9.99

http://www.rantsports.com/mlb/2013/...on/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Back