• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

“The acquisition cost just doesn’t work for us right now,” he said. “I don’t know if I can quantify how far off, but we continue to have dialogue, if you want to look at that as encouraging, I don’t know. It’s not so out of the realm that we won’t continue to have talks.”

that pretty much means there will be a jays trade tomorrow

he is talking to other GMs saying do not be an idiot with this prices or we wont even bother

AA has never been this blunt. You gotta think he's trying to temper expectations now.

I do in the sense of a big name, or meaningful name.

At this point i'll be surprised if they deal for a Price or Samardzija, and i know damn well they wont sign a UFA SP, including Tanaka.

However he will still continue to have talks and try to get " controlled value".....Think the Happ deal.

AA has said he has something in the works that probably needs a 3rd team to get done.

Everyone forgets AA is a ninja. Stop paying attention to the media and what he says, all just posturing.

And health alone should improve the rotation. The rotation is not in shambles.

Everyone forgets AA is a ninja. Stop paying attention to the media and what he says, all just posturing.

1) Health is not guaranteed
2) It needs more than health, the back end is either garbage ( Happ, Romero) or an unproven kid ( Drabek, Hutch, Stroman)

They need at least 1 SP and that's with Morrow not being dead for the whole season.

Colon really would've been a decent stopgap.

If you hate the trade prices, fine, but there could be some decent value in some FA's

1) Health is not guaranteed
2) It needs more than health, the back end is either garbage ( Happ, Romero) or an unproven kid ( Drabek, Hutch, Stroman)

They need at least 1 SP and that's with Morrow not being dead for the whole season.

Colon really would've been a decent stopgap.

If you hate the trade prices, fine, but there could be some decent value in some FA's

Last season, aside from Buehrle, pretty much everything that could go wrong with the rotation did.

Nobody would have expected JJ to have the worst season of his career, Dickey regressed big time (although that one didn't surprise me too too much, never really sold on him), Romero continued to suck, Morrow was more fragile than normal, Happ took a liner to the skull, Drabek and Hutch were hurt.

The talent exists internally for the rotation to be at minimum league average. It's a question of how much faith you have in a) the health; and b) the ability of guys like Morrow, Drabek, Hutch to pitch to their potential.

Well Johnson isnt back so that point is moot.

And no, i don't have a ton of faith that Morrow will be healthy and Drabek/Hutch can both step in.

I'd prefer to go into the season only needing 1 of those things to happen not all three.

The rotation should look like this right now

1) Dickey
2) xxxxx
3) Beuhrle
4) xxxxx
5) Morrow/Happ/Hutch/Drabek/Redmond/Stroman/McGowan

I can be flexible and put Morrow in the 4 hole since he obviously has the talent to be there, but then you are hoping for 2 lotto tickets of that last group.

If they do little or nothing then it's 3 lotto tickets which is absolutely absurd to count on

you don't regret not giving a 300 pound 40 year old who has already been so shitty and injured at one point in his career that he had to retire, and only returned after some science experiment stem cell procedure and steroids magically made him better a 2 year $20 million deal.

colon might work out. he might not. but in any event he isn't solving the team's problems. and he has more potential to blow up than just about anybody else.

you don't regret not giving a 300 pound 40 year old who has already been so shitty and injured at one point in his career that he had to retire, and only returned after some science experiment stem cell procedure and steroids magically made him better a 2 year $20 million deal.

colon might work out. he might not. but in any event he isn't solving the team's problems. and he has more potential to blow up than just about anybody else.

He's been a rock star in Oakland

The rotation is in shambles.

Dickey and MB are nice starters because they provide innings, but both are 4plus era guys at this point in their career (yes, I know ERA isn't everything).

Morrow is what he is. A starter that will have 2 good outings, 1 bad - repeat for a month or two, then get injured for a long period of time.

Then you have Happ. He's not good regardless of health.

Finally you have Hutch and DD. Two guys that are essentially 3 year rookies both coming off major arm surgery.

Normally Happ and one of DD/Hutch would be the guys that cover for injured starters. Not in a set rotation.

The Jays won't make the playoffs with that rotation healthy or not.

Back