• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

Pisses me off even now that we didn't get Darvish.

So we better get this guy.

This is how this franchise will be able to establish itself as a contender. Go out and get these guys that cost nothing but money.

Pisses me off even now that we didn't get Darvish.

So we better get this guy.

This is how this franchise will be able to establish itself as a contender. Go out and get these guys that cost nothing but money.

The old posting system allowed only money to be a factor.

In this system if Tanaka does not want to come to Toronto, he will have other suitors that he can go to.

There is no excuse for these guys to not want to come to Canada anymore.

If management is having trouble recruiting people to play in Toronto, they need to hire a new staff.

There are only a select few US cities that i'd pick over Toronto, and that would mostly be weather related.

And because the posting bid is capped at only $20 mill a lot more teams will be involved too. The guy is going to have his pick of teams.

Not sure I'd pick the Jays if I were him.

There is no excuse for these guys to not want to come to Canada anymore.

If management is having trouble recruiting people to play in Toronto, they need to hire a new staff.

There are only a select few US cities that i'd pick over Toronto, and that would mostly be weather related.

Are you Tanaka?

There are numerous reasons to not want to come to Toronto, and frankly what that reason could be is irrelavant....the bottom line is tha Tanaka is going to have all the leverage

If he isn't interested in Toronto then the only play is to drastically overpay the teams he is interested in....and that is not AA's style, and frankly it shouldn't be

Lol yes i am Tanaka.

IM just saying that our recruitment team in charge of "wooing" this guy over should be doing a better job.

At the end of the day its psychological warfare. What does a foreigner know about living in north america that his agent or somebody didn't put into his head. These are baseball players, not economists.

We need to have people in our front office that are capable to persuading him and his agent that Toronto is the place to play.

How does it work though? Can they even talk contract before he picks a team? You couldn't before.

As I understand it....teams submit bids.

Any team that submits a max 20M bid then has the right to talk with him for a month

So if say 10 teams bid the 20, Tanaka can eliminate the 5-6 he wants no part of and have the remaining teams bid against each other.

But he is very much in control.

It is not nonsense at all. Some scouts believe that while he doesn't have the same velocity as Darvish he has better control overall and has more pitches.

Regardless, he is an excellent pitcher and would instantly give our staff a #1 guy.

Though I did over do it with the him being better than Darvish part. I was just looking at his stats this past season and it is hard not to be impressed.

Last edited:
Im not sure about #1, but if it gives us a guy that can compete every night you can count me in.

Flex that financial muscle.

Lol yes i am Tanaka.

IM just saying that our recruitment team in charge of "wooing" this guy over should be doing a better job.

At the end of the day its psychological warfare. What does a foreigner know about living in north america that his agent or somebody didn't put into his head. These are baseball players, not economists.

We need to have people in our front office that are capable to persuading him and his agent that Toronto is the place to play.

Absolute rubbish.

You think the MLB is a complete unknown to players in Japan?....they have their heroes that have played before and because of that have stronger ties to NYY, Seattle or Boston.

They are also smart enough to know that west coast teams are shorter flights to their homeland for visits.

Rogers could hire a chorus line of topless girls promising blowjobs and pot roasts and it might not be enough to convince Tanaka to play in Toronto.

It is not nonsense at all. Some scouts believe that while he doesn't have the same velocity as Darvish he has better control overall and has more pitches.

Regardless, he is an excellent pitcher and would instantly give our staff a #1 guy.

Whichever "scouts" have told you he's better than Tanaka....stop following them on twitter.

He does have better control, but his stuff is also softer than Yu, and he could be succeptable to legit power hitters in the MLB.

His best pitch is a sinker type, and if thats not working he could have alot of issues getting out hitters.

That said, that pitch and the control is filth and he is easily the most exciting arm as a FA

Back