• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

View: https://x.com/Sportsnet/status/1723192307548033260?s=20

mission-accomplished.gif

It is sooo frustrating when National Baseball Writers tell us that The Jays are actually not bad at Baseball...

Thanks to our friends at FanGraphs, who have compiled 2024 depth charts and projections, we can look at every team's roster and needs as of Nov. 7. By now, all team and player options have been decided. The seven players who received qualifying offers are all but certain to decline them. Where does everyone stand, right now? Let's rank some clubs.

4) Blue Jays (42.2 WAR)
Free agents: 1B Brandon Belt, 3B Matt Chapman, RHP Jordan Hicks, OF Kevin Kiermaier, 2B/OF Whit Merrifield, LHP Hyun Jin Ryu
Biggest needs: Power, third base, left field, extensions for young stars
This might feel like a lofty ranking for a team that went 89-73 before flaming out in the playoffs, and we'll admit we're a little surprised, too. What's happening here is that the Jays return intact one of the better pitching staffs in baseball, and they still have a collection of high-level stars in the lineup. They’ll need to figure out a Chapman replacement at third base, and they badly need a left fielder (assuming Daulton Varsho moves to center). A Belt replacement or reunion at DH is in order – yes, we’re already printing up the Joey Votto jerseys – and a depth starter would be a good idea given the uncertainty over Alek Manoah’s present and future.
But really, it’s a good roster, and everything here revolves around the famous sons of famous players, as it has for years. That’s true in both the short term (can Vladimir Guerrero Jr. rebound from one of the most frustrating 26-homer seasons of all-time?) and long term (both Guerrero and Bo Bichette are now two years from free agency). Neither has even reached their 26th birthday yet. A decision on which, neither, or both to extend looms larger every day.

It is sooo frustrating when National Baseball Writers tell us that The Jays are actually not bad at Baseball...

I mean, they aren't great, but they certainly aren't bad.

The Royals are bad

I mean, they aren't great, but they certainly aren't bad.

The Royals are bad
The Jays also had one of the higher preseason projections coming in to last season, so not too surprising that they might be projected decently again. If Vlad can rebount to being a 4-4.5 war player, and a few other guys play to expectations, the team is not in a bad shape.

Fangraphs does seem overly optimistic right now that the mess of players can put up 2 war at 3b, that seems very generous. But the Jays should still be right in the thick of it in the division.

Its just been invented.

Making Ignorant Statements about MLB is TIGHT (especially if it paints the Shatkins regime in a bad light). MLB teams coaching staff have been resembling football staffs for at least the last 4 years or so.

Besides me taking a jab at the Shatkins haters, I remember a Jays game where the Jays had an extra (baserunning?) coach on the bench and the other team (Yankees?) got the Umps to kick the coach out of the game/off the bench.

For the life of my, I never understood (in any sport) a limit on Coaches. More people getting paid and educated on the high levels of the game is a good thing and it is not like the coaches play the game..

FWIW: I am not a Shatkins "Lover" (I still use Shatkins). I think they are a capable FO that is probably a mid-level/average FO, whom are in love with the smell of their own farts. And I understand how that rubs people the wrong way, but making the playoffs 3 out of 4 years is a good accomplishment even though they finally got the budget to make it happen (but frankly, ask the Yankees, Red Sox, Padres and Cubs how big budgets guarantee playoff appearances).

how many coaches does it take to relay atkins' instructions to schneider.
“There are 18 levels between us and Schneider. It’s an organizationally designed control that makes it exceedingly unlikely that we are directing him to make any particular lineup decisions.”

but making the playoffs 3 out of 4 years is a good accomplishment

Almost half of the league makes the playoffs now. Averaging 90 wins and 3rd in the division over a 4 year stretch isn't where anyone was promising we would be when we were in year whatever of the rebuild. If that's your peak, you fucked up, full stop.

(but frankly, ask the Yankees, Red Sox, Padres and Cubs how big budgets guarantee playoff appearances).
Are you sure those are comparisons you want to make?

The Yankees missed the playoffs this year. They made it 6 straight times in a row before that (and won 7 series)

Padres have only made 2 of the last 4 (but won 3 series in that time)

The Red Sox are in a down period, no doubt. Only two playoff appearances (and 3 series wins) since their 2018 World Series championship.

Cubs… ok. got us there. They’ve only made the playoffs 3 times since their 2016 World Series championship. And they missed the last 3.

The Angels have definitely been worse. But it’s OK to expect more than “better than the Angels.”

Anyway, it’s true, having a top payroll doesn’t guarantee success, but it should guarantee you a lot more than what these guys have accomplished.

Back