• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

Well, that was Shapiro’s knock on AA anyway. He promised a better development program that would consistently feed talent to the MLB team. And despite failing to accomplish that for 10 years in Cleveland, they bought it.

AA also wasn’t allowed to play in the deep end of the FA pool like these guys. Instead of being given the flexibility to just sign free agents like Reyes and Buehrle, he had to trade for them, then basically dare ownership to cut payroll. I don’t think they liked that kind of “managing up.” If they had just given him big free agent money up front, AA could have (and would have) used that prospect capital to improve the team in other ways.
Both regimes very poor at drafting and development

The Berrios trade was one prospect deal that looked fine in hindsight because the top-5 pick they traded busted. But the second prospect in that deal, Simeon Woods-Richardson, may actually be better than Berrios right now (and Martin and SWR are probably both going to get playoff reps this year).

:ROFLMAO:

Time to give up the Austin Martin fantasy. He was terrible. He is terrible.

Good for SWR tho, the numbers were always there for him.

:ROFLMAO:

Time to give up the Austin Martin fantasy. He was terrible. He is terrible.

Good for SWR tho, the numbers were always there for him.
Huh?

I just called him a bust.

He’ll probably make the Twins playoff roster though.

Meh. Martin a top 5 pick, and there was some talk of him being #1 overall. Went straight to AA and he had only played 56 games when they traded him. And yeah, it’s good that they moved Martin before his value plummeted. But overall the story is not one of success for the admin. Even less so now that the P prospect they gave up seems to be better than the P they got.

I think most people can get behind Varsho as a pretty good player.

Some can even understand the trade for him ( probably should have used Moreno for someone that can hit though)

No one should be able to get behind how Varsho was deployed. Getting the best defensive OF in the game and stashing him in LF for some fucking reason so you can sign an all glove CF who cant hit to two 1 year deals. Absolute insanity. What aloony way to use the two cheapest years of Varsho

Some can even understand the trade for him ( probably should have used Moreno for someone that can hit though)

No one should be able to get behind how Varsho was deployed. Getting the best defensive OF in the game and stashing him in LF for some fucking reason so you can sign an all glove CF who cant hit to two 1 year deals. Absolute insanity. What aloony way to use the two cheapest years of Varsho
I agree with this

meh. I think the downgrade in LF defense whenever varsho ain't there has been massive and very noticeable. This loperfido guy was supposed to be good defensively too. but it's not close.

meh. I think the downgrade in LF defense whenever varsho ain't there has been massive and very noticeable. This loperfido guy was supposed to be good defensively too. but it's not close.
Um, fuck LF defense?

They could have put Varsho where he belonged and added an actual thumper there as opposed to Kevin Kiermaier.

These guys are absolute morons

Let’s try this, see if it sinks in…

WAR/650

Moreno: 3.9
(Gurriel: 2.3)
Varsho: 2.3

Moreno: 4.8
Varsho: 4.3

Didn’t need to trade for Varsho at all when you can get guys like Kiermaier and Michael Taylor for free.

And next year, Varsho will cost as much as those guys, then one more year and he’s a FA too. That’s when Moreno will hit his arbitration years (if they don’t extend him first.)

OF defence is great, but it is not a valuable commodity in MLB when paired with a weak bat. Certainly not something anyone (other than our management group) would trade a top-5 prospect for.

Last edited:
Back