• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

It's not though. It's fine, but it definitely isn't great.

Min 600 innings
- 17th according to DRS
- 13th according to UZR

Basically, he's the same defensively as the 30+ yr old version of Springer...average to slightly above.

95 wRC+ and average D is fine as a 4th OF but only just fine and only as a 4th OF.
It looks like his D has been up and down, depending on the year. Looking at the 2022 Statcast Outs Above Average leaderboard at center, he was tied for 8th with guys like Harrison Bader and Christian Pache, who are considered elite.

And #6 in Fangraphs DEF rankings for CF. I don't know, I think the defense would be just fine.

Much more interested in whether there's a way for him to see the ball better and unlock that power. Because he's obviously got the potential to be much better than a 95 wRC+, considering his first 4 years in the league were 138, 120, 161 and 112. Then an injury-riddled season after major shoulder surgery, and last year's mediocre 83.

Definitely more interested in him after digging into the numbers, but there are obvious concerns as well.

200w.gif
Eno Sarris did some digging into who will benefit the most from getting rid of the shift.

Bellinger is #10 on the list. So the batting average should come up to some degree, and (based on his history) so should his BB%.

4th OF for the Blue Jays is a full-time job anyway. Tapia played more games in the OF than anyone else last year.

So even if they sign Bellinger, which is probably a good idea IMO, they need another guy who is good enough to play OF everyday.

4th OF for the Blue Jays is a full-time job anyway. Tapia played more games in the OF than anyone else last year.

So even if they sign Bellinger, which is probably a good idea IMO, they need another guy who is good enough to play OF everyday.
Brantley, Gallo, Conforto

Brantley can't really play the field, but he'd be a solid platoon option. Left handed bat, can still handle LF for 30-40 games, at DH for another 60-80 games. At least vsR has been a consistent producer. The team has enough ABs vs LHP, and enough flexibility with Merrifield and Lourdes that you can easily shelter his ABs and never worry about him facing a lefty or getting strung out on the field for D.

Brantley can't really play the field, but he'd be a solid platoon option. Left handed bat, can still handle LF for 30-40 games, at DH for another 60-80 games. At least vsR has been a consistent producer. The team has enough ABs vs LHP, and enough flexibility with Merrifield and Lourdes that you can easily shelter his ABs and never worry about him facing a lefty or getting strung out on the field for D.
I cant imagine he's that much worse than Lourdes 1-2 times a week, and im assuming a C is moved so there are enough DH PA for him.

In reality, Lourdes should sit vs RHP, and Bellinger vs LHP until shown otherwise.

Back