• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Playoffs 2022

Perry wasn’t coming back…. Tampa over Mtl
was an easy choice for him

Perry wasn’t coming back…. Tampa over Mtl
was an easy choice for him
He was really convincing in his end of season press conference last year. I think he was telling the truth.

Plus Bergevin said himself that they couldn't agree on terms, he didn't want to give him more than one season.

He was really convincing in his end of season press conference last year. I think he was telling the truth.

Plus Bergevin said himself that they couldn't agree on terms, he didn't want to give him more than one season.

he was convincing and heartfelt but things change between emotional end of season pressers and the practicality of tomorrow.

As for Bergy, why would he admit to being shunned despite matching the offer?

I don't buy the narrative that he didn't want to come back.

Re-signing Perry wasn't going to be a difficult negotiation. The Charlatan decided to make it difficult like he does with virtually everyone he thinks is replaceable. Five years later, we still don't have a single left-handed d-man remotely close to replacing the replaceable Andrei Markov.

not much of a leap to think Perry thought about coming back but chose the Cup champs instead...I expect 99 out of 100 players in his position would do the same

Yeah, that's the thing.

Gainey traded him to New York, then Gorton traded him to Tampa Bay. Both got underwhelming returns.

As I said before the playoffs started, Florida always seemed far to happy to play in those high scoring games and didn't seem to be good in tight games. They're awesome in loosey-goosey, high scoring, free-flowing games. Force 'em to play tight, grinding playoff-type games and they don't look nearly as good.
they also seemed to have a lot of nobodies putting up career years - that was bound to stop at some point

Yeah, that's the thing.

Gainey traded him to New York, then Gorton traded him to Tampa Bay. Both got underwhelming returns.

wasn't NY in blow it up mode? and he was a pending UFA (or one year away) - and they basically sold him at the right time (28 years old)

he was traded with JT Miller so hard to see what they got
but they got two former first rounders (Namestnikov, Howden) and a first rounder (K'Andre Miller, i think), and a conditional first, and some prospect other prospect i never heard of

hardly a gomez situtation

they also seemed to have a lot of nobodies putting up career years - that was bound to stop at some point
Fla & NYR both IMO had unsustainable career seasons as teams - Panthers for reasons Worm outlined & NYR simply because of Sheshterkin’s facsimile of Price’s 14-15 season

Ho
They're also facing the best goalie on the planet . . . by far. He's very hard to score on when he's on . . . which he is at the moment.

wasn't NY in blow it up mode? and he was a pending UFA (or one year away) - and they basically sold him at the right time (28 years old)

he was traded with JT Miller so hard to see what they got
but they got two former first rounders (Namestnikov, Howden) and a first rounder (K'Andre Miller, i think), and a conditional first, and some prospect other prospect i never heard of

hardly a gomez situtation
Ridding themselves of a Ryan McDonough at 28 (and perhaps Miller) still doesn't seem smart. Major rebuild pieces. But yes, they were hardly as fleeced as Gainey.

Ridding themselves of a Ryan McDonough at 28 (and perhaps Miller) still doesn't seem smart. Major rebuild pieces. But yes, they were hardly as fleeced as Gainey.
GGpX is big on not signing guys for so many years on the wrong side of 30

Howden, Hajek, Lundkvist and Namestnikov for McDonagh & Miller is not great.

Howden has already been traded for DeSimone who left as UFA.
Hajek has been struggling to stay in the lineup and has been bouncing in the minors.
Namestnikov played one year before being traded away for nothing
Lundkvist was drafted using that pick but hasn't established himself in the league yet.

As painful as it is to say, we actually got more mileage out of Gomez than the Rangers did from those 4 guys. And we didn't throw in JT Miller to boot.

Back