• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Playoffs 2022

Howden, Hajek, Lundkvist and Namestnikov for McDonagh & Miller is not great.

Howden has already been traded for DeSimone who left as UFA.
Hajek has been struggling to stay in the lineup and has been bouncing in the minors.
Namestnikov played one year before being traded away for nothing
Lundkvist was drafted using that pick but hasn't established himself in the league yet.

As painful as it is to say, we actually got more mileage out of Gomez than the Rangers did from those 4 guys. And we didn't throw in JT Miller to boot.
we added Higgins

GGpX is big on not signing guys for so many years on the wrong side of 30

99% of the time its correct

However if you win cups nobody cares about McDonough`s last few bad cap years

There are only a handful of Crosby`s or Kane`s who play out an entire long term deal elite

Your getting burnt almost every other time handing out big term to players in their late 20`s

There are only a handful of Crosby`s or Kane`s who play out an entire long term deal elite

Your getting burnt almost every other time handing out big term to players in their late 20`s
the point was the rangers traded him at the right time

and i know if felt like an eternity but gomez played only 3 seasons for the habs
1 season he was okayish
the other 2 he was brutal

they also seemed to have a lot of nobodies putting up career years - that was bound to stop at some point

They are losing a ton of depth this summer and next and JH is due a huge raise

They need their doctor to give Bobo a rash note to get him off the books

Yeah and I'm still nervous that we're going to trade him.

Fuck no

I dont see Hugo patching this mess or going for a quick fix

There is no no way to fix this other than a patient system rebuild

Team is 4 players away from being 5 players away

D is atrocious , Price looks to be done

CC and Nick is all we got that has potential star ability .

McDonagh's play defensively hasn't dropped off yet and the contract Tampa Bay gave him has worked out, they've won two Cups. And if his defensive play continues, then he'll be one of the rare exceptions where one of those long-term contracts to late 20s / early 30s players who aren't HHOF-bound end up working. Also worth noting, defensemen who are very competent defensively can extend their careers even if they lose their offensive production; The same can't be said for forwards.

However, his offensive production has definitely dropped; He used to be a perennial 35-40 point d-man in New Yawk and he's had three straight ~20 point seasons in Tampa Bay. When you're on an offensive juggernaut like Tampa Bay, losing some of the offensive production you have isn't the end of the world, especially if you can compensate defensively. But on most teams, that starts to become a burden where you're paying $6.75M for a guy who doesn't bring much to the table offensively.

Also, as mentioned, we got more production from our McDonagh alone than New Yawk got for McDonagh + JT Miller. I understood why McDonagh was traded on the Rangers's end, he was a Pending UFA and they didn't want to give him a long-term contract in the middle of a rebuild.

McDonagh's play defensively hasn't dropped off yet and the contract Tampa Bay gave him has worked out, they've won two Cups. And if his defensive play continues, then he'll be one of the rare exceptions where one of those long-term contracts to late 20s / early 30s players who aren't HHOF-bound end up working. Also worth noting, defensemen who are very competent defensively can extend their careers even if they lose their offensive production; The same can't be said for forwards.

However, his offensive production has definitely dropped; He used to be a perennial 35-40 point d-man in New Yawk and he's had three straight ~20 point seasons in Tampa Bay. When you're on an offensive juggernaut like Tampa Bay, losing some of the offensive production you have isn't the end of the world, especially if you can compensate defensively. But on most teams, that starts to become a burden where you're paying $6.75M for a guy who doesn't bring much to the table offensively.

Also, as mentioned, we got more production from our McDonagh alone than New Yawk got for McDonagh + JT Miller. I understood why McDonagh was traded on the Rangers's end, he was a Pending UFA and they didn't want to give him a long-term contract in the middle of a rebuild.
Yes, in a cap world, there will always be logic for the Rangers to make that type of trade. They are not really hockey trades, per se, and can't really be analyzed in the traditonal way. Hindsight suggests to me, however, it may have made more sense to figure out a way to keep him and work the numbers some other way. As simplistic as it is to say it, they would like to have him in the lineup tonight.

Fuck no

I dont see Hugo patching this mess or going for a quick fix

There is no no way to fix this other than a patient system rebuild

Team is 4 players away from being 5 players away

D is atrocious , Price looks to be done

CC and Nick is all we got that has potential star ability .

I know, we just have a bad history of trading away our good defensemen.

That's the big caveat. If you sign a guy to a long term boat anchor contract but you win a Cup in the short term, so what? You won the Cup, which is the reason for your existence as a franchise. If winning a Cup this year means spending the next 5 years in salary cap hell you do it.

It's when you commit to those bad contracts and you don't win the ultimate prize in the short term. That's when you fuck yourself. Had the Habs somehow pulled it off last summer I wouldn't care that the Price, Gallagher and Weber contracts are garbage.

That's the big caveat. If you sign a guy to a long term boat anchor contract but you win a Cup in the short term, so what? You won the Cup, which is the reason for your existence as a franchise. If winning a Cup this year means spending the next 5 years in salary cap hell you do it.

It's when you commit to those bad contracts and you don't win the ultimate prize in the short term. That's when you fuck yourself. Had the Habs somehow pulled it off last summer I wouldn't care that the Price, Gallagher and Weber contracts are garbage.

Its all based on having a team at the competitive/contending stage

Hundreds of stupid contracts were handed out over the years that were either day 1 disasters like Lucic or Okposo or ridiculous a few years in like Price , Bobo etc...

Only exception is inking your future like Suzuki types to max term and having him for his entire prime year .

You have 8 years to figure it out as you build towards respectability .

The main issue is the contract moveable , how many productive years can you get and more importantly did you hand our a no trade clause to a non impact player

Vancouver would be insane not to trade JT Miller.
Yes, in a cap world, there will always be logic for the Rangers to make that type of trade. They are not really hockey trades, per se, and can't really be analyzed in the traditonal way. Hindsight suggests to me, however, it may have made more sense to figure out a way to keep him and work the numbers some other way. As simplistic as it is to say it, they would like to have him in the lineup tonight.
The problem with the trade to Tampa is, the NYR got two B prospects. They gave up quality rentals for quantity.

Imagine if they had received Cirelli or Joseph instead of those two, or even Ross Colton.

Back