• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Rumors: 2024-25 Season

Can we sign him to an offer sheet this summer or is he signed? Go with $4Mill and its a 2nd round pick for a 1 year contract... I saw that somewhere, but I didn't fact check it.. lol

So at that level its a 1st, 2nd and 3rd round pick.
I think your right on the compensation

As far as I know , you cant go lower than current salary for an RFA with a uptick in pay

Peg will QO him a that number so Habs have to offer that number as an offer sheet

Maybe GGPX or others who understand the CBA better can update

Why not just wait it out? What the heck is everyone in such a rush to throw away assets at this guy for? We’re not competing for awhile. Just wait and if he actually wants to ply only here, he’ll sign

I think your right on the compensation

As far as I know , you cant go lower than current salary for an RFA with a uptick in pay

Peg will QO him a that number so Habs have to offer that number as an offer sheet

Maybe GGPX or others who understand the CBA better can update
Well, if a team wants to keep the player's rights, they need to offer a qualifying offer, which is usually a small increase on the player's previous salary in the final year of his contract. If they don't send him a qualifying offer by June 25th, he's a full fledged UFA.

Offer sheets aren't dependent on the qualifying offer. The player could, in theory, accept whatever offer sheet sent his way, even if it was lower. Problem is, if it's lower than the qualifying offer, the team he played for before has the right to match and they'll match in a second.

Also: If a player is eligible for arbitration, a team could select to go to an arbitration hearing with the player and making him ineligible to receive a qualifying offer.

Why not just wait it out? What the heck is everyone in such a rush to throw away assets at this guy for? We’re not competing for awhile. Just wait and if he actually wants to ply only here, he’ll sign
The only real rationale is that it reduces the chances of him slipping away. There is always a risk that he loves his new team and sign long term there. I don't mind giving up some assets to secure him, but I wouldn't give up too much either.

Screw that. Offer a 2nd and Struble. Just make sure the news gets out there so PLD knows that you want him. If he wants to play in Montreal, he can sign there next summer.

True, but Chicago kinda went bananas last summer. The Jets are in a very different situation, they will seek max return even if they’re in a bind.

I was just thinking, IF we do trade for PLD without giving much, and resign Monahan to a one year show me contract, we would be looking a lot different. Suzuki, Caufield, Dach, PLD, Monahan,Anderson, Slaf, RHP, Dvorak, Gallagher, Evans, Gurianov. That’s not a bad group of forwards, and probably the most size we had upfront since the 90s. Ylonen, Ferrell, Pezz and Belisle for depth.

True, but Chicago kinda went bananas last summer. The Jets are in a very different situation, they will seek max return even if they’re in a bind.
Yes, but now that the cat is out of the bag they have little to no leverage. The reality is that they either trade PLD for something now or lose him for nothing later. And since every GM in the league knows this, the offers will be weak. All the Habs need to do is offer the Jets something that they can sell to their fans as progress. I was originally thinking about the Florida first round pick if the Panthers make the playoffs but now I'm thinking we can get away with less, say a second rounder and a second tier prospect who likely has no future with us. And if we can give them back Armia as well I'd be ecstatic but that's not a deal-breaker.

Back