• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Rumors: 2024-25 Season

Nobody's Makar good and Makar (foolishly) took the most team-friendly contract in the NHL that isn't an ELC.

But, Hanifin would solidify our first pairing for a while, while sheltering Guhle/Xhekaj/Harris on the left side.
I like the idea but not for #5.

I’m not trading our 5th for him but depending on the contract, I would consider Guhle plus Panthers.

So you want to trade a slightly worse player (but who could put up easily similar numbers over a full season) AND who is going to make 1/8th the amount + a first rounder? Ca fait pas de sense ca.

So you want to trade a slightly worse player (but who could put up easily similar numbers over a full season) AND who is going to make 1/8th the amount + a first rounder? Ca fait pas de sense ca.
I like Guhle a lot so I’d probably stay put, trying to figure out a trade that make sense for Calgary. I’m not trading our 5th though. Also that first is practically a second.

Here's my thing with the 5th overall pick.

If we were open to taking Michkov, I wouldn't trade that pick. I'd be thrilled with any one of Carlsson/Smith/Michkov.

However, that's where it starts to get less interesting for me. If we're not interested in Michkov, our pick, for all intents and purposes is the 6th overall pick. Taking one of the next 6-8 prospects the Benson/Perreault/Sandin/Sale/Dvorsky/Reinbacher/Barlow is not overly interesting. If we're staying at 5th and we're taking one of those players? Meh. They might hit, they might not, but they all have their question marks and being able to identify which of those players is going to be better than the rest is a crapshoot. Just like the top of last year's draft, every single one of those players is in a different league, with different rule sets, different style of plays, different levels of competition.

So, my options would be either:

Trade the 5th overall pick for a player in his mid-20s, assuming we have term remaining or can give him term. See the Noah Hanifin example.

Trade back to a team like Detroit, and accumulate extra picks. 5 & 31 for 9, 17 & 43. Alternatively: St. Louis 5th for 10th and 29th.

Having four picks in the top-37 / 43 is very interesting.

Here's my thing with the 5th overall pick.

If we were open to taking Michkov, I wouldn't trade that pick. I'd be thrilled with any one of Carlsson/Smith/Michkov.

However, that's where it starts to get less interesting for me. If we're not interested in Michkov, our pick, for all intents and purposes is the 6th overall pick. Taking one of the next 6-8 prospects the Benson/Perreault/Sandin/Sale/Dvorsky/Reinbacher/Barlow is not overly interesting. If we're staying at 5th and we're taking one of those players? Meh. They might hit, they might not, but they all have their question marks and being able to identify which of those players is going to be better than the rest is a crapshoot. Just like the top of last year's draft, every single one of those players is in a different league, with different rule sets, different style of plays, different levels of competition.

So, my options would be either:

Trade the 5th overall pick for a player in his mid-20s, assuming we have term remaining or can give him term. See the Noah Hanifin example.

Trade back to a team like Detroit, and accumulate extra picks. 5 & 31 for 9, 17 & 43. Alternatively: St. Louis 5th for 10th and 29th.

Having four picks in the top-37 / 43 is very interesting.
Then there’s this…

he's Josh Gorges minus the blocked shots to me

He your nephew or something?

I think he has more offensive upside. I see a lot of Stephane Robidas in him. He’ll play 1000+ games, be a solid second pairing defenseman and be an assistant captain.

I think he has more offensive upside. I see a lot of Stephane Robidas in him. He’ll play 1000+ games, be a solid second pairing defenseman and be an assistant captain.
So he has an island?

And uh that's what I said, borderline fourth D. Josh fucking Gorges. Look you need guys like that sure but if the move improves your team you do it. Right now D is a perceived position of strength because of last year, a guy projected to be a number four guy isn't going to all of a sudden be a number one.

Move his ass if it makes sense to do so.

I

The Athletic's reporting that (unsurprisingly) Hellebuyck isn't going to be signing an extension in Winnipeg.

The firesale's about to begin soon, isn't it?

The Athletic's reporting that (unsurprisingly) Hellebuyck isn't going to be signing an extension in Winnipeg.

The firesale's about to begin soon, isn't it?
Treliving will go after him like he did Markstrom in Calgary.

So he has an island?

And uh that's what I said, borderline fourth D. Josh fucking Gorges. Look you need guys like that sure but if the move improves your team you do it. Right now D is a perceived position of strength because of last year, a guy projected to be a number four guy isn't going to all of a sudden be a number one.

Move his ass if it makes sense to do so.

I
Oh he’s totally expandable. My issue was using him as trade filler. He has value, but I wouldn’t hesitate to trade him for good return, just not as a throw in.

Back