• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Season Ending State of the Union / Expansion Draft Thread

This better be some brilliant scheme from Bergevin, otherwise he must have been infected with the same vaccine-resistant COVID strain as Ducharme and gotten brain damage
What part don't you like? Which players would you have swapped?

I love the list.

more like the other GMs had three years to prepare not to look like dolts again

Dunno, GMs don't get smarter, they're always looking to outsmart themselves. I saw two different approaches. McPhee went in the draft telling GMs "let's make some deals" while Francis went in "if you want any favor from us it's going to cost you". Different approaches and outcomes.

GMs don't like losing assets for nothing, but the price of protecting assets can't be more than the value of the asset you are protecting.
Yup - cap hit is king. Reaffirmation that low cap hit assets have significantly more value than established high cap hit

Dunno, GMs don't get smarter, they're always looking to outsmart themselves. I saw two different approaches. McPhee went in the draft telling GMs "let's make some deals" while Francis went in "if you want any favor from us it's going to cost you". Different approaches and outcomes.

a) it was a low bar, so I think they're still dumb (for the most part)
b) Covid brought in an added level of scrutiny towards cap management...so I don't think a guy like Shea Theodore gets sacrificed this time around

It’s possible that the Price camp told Seattle they won’t cooperate.

So... Kulak or Byron and no side deals.

that's a fair contribution to Seattle.

Kulak is 27, and a decent 2nd pairing guy.
Byron is a Swiss army knife, albeit slightly overpaid

a) it was a low bar, so I think they're still dumb (for the most part)
b) Covid brought in an added level of scrutiny towards cap management...so I don't think a guy like Shea Theodore gets sacrificed this time around
Definitely seeing a trend of exposing unattractive contracts this time, even if the player is still good.

What part don't you like? Which players would you have swapped?

I love the list.
Price… not sure if it’s worth the risk to ensure Allen is kept instead of Byron, Kulak, etc. I take it back if Bergevin got a direct confirmation from Francis himself, or has some brilliant scheme cooked up.

Price… not sure if it’s worth the risk to ensure Allen is kept instead of Byron, Kulak, etc. I take it back if Bergevin got a direct confirmation from Francis himself, or has some brilliant scheme cooked up.
Ahhh... I see. Well, I guess I just can't see any GM taking Price and his contract. As much as I love Carey, I would be pretty happy to see that contract gone.

I like to think that MB (and Molson) wouldn't actually mind to get liberated from that contract.

Probably, but I don’t see how the team competes in the next few years without Price, except if they add free agents or vets with similar huge contracts

Probably, but I don’t see how the team competes in the next few years without Price, except if they add free agents or vets with similar huge contracts
Strategy would need to alter from being completely goalie dependent to having a stronger & deeper team

Back