• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Season Ending State of the Union / Expansion Draft Thread

It’s win, win regarding Price. The ideal situation would be claimed by Seattle, moved to a 3rd team and sent back to us with retained salary, but don’t think that’s happening
Odds are they don't even touch a 10.5 million dollar goalie who has been average the last couple of years and hitting mid 30s. That ideal situation would be great, but why would we even need Seattle then for this scenario? Technically we could work with a lot of other teams too that have the cap room.

Odds are they don't even touch a 10.5 million dollar goalie who has been average the last couple of years and hitting mid 30s. That ideal situation would be great, but why would we even need Seattle then for this scenario? Technically we could work with a lot of other teams too that have the cap room.
Because majority of fans would be pissed off to lose Price and end up with Allen-Primeau.

People on hockey discussion forums are not the majority of fans.

This scenario removes lots of finger pointing towards ownership

I don’t think it’s that big of a deal. Face of the franchise for a few years. Bringing instant fans from BC, and from the Habs fan base.
Seattle won't have any issues selling tickets. They should have had a team a long time ago, long before those sunbelt and NASCAR cities got theirs. And they don't need Price to sell tickets to people from BC. The Canucks playing there 4 times a season and the relatively short drive from Vancouver will take care of that. And Habs fans in the region will come to see the Habs no matter who plays for them. Fans root for the sweater, not the players. Simply put, the Kraken don't need Price to sell tickets and no team in 2021 other than the Habs is dumb enough to make their goalie the face of their franchise.

Price waived NMC exclusively for expansion draft, he has full control post draft & decides if & when he moves & where to

way too huge a gamble for Francis to take, and that’s MB & Price’s calculation on why Seattle won’t select him

this is creating way too much unnecessary drama
Agreed. No team in their right mind would touch either Weber or Price with a 10 foot pole. Those are both boat anchor contracts for rapidly depreciating assets.

Seeing that protected list, I have this nagging feeling that Allen still ends being a Kraken at the end of it.

They take Price but flip him back with retention for assets including Allen. It's an easy get for Francis. He gets his guy + multiple assets but costs himself a few million on the cap for 5 years.
So what? It's still win-win for the Habs.

At the end of the day, the Habs need cap relief more than they need Allen. This goalie tandem may have made sense for a one year push in a short season, but otherwise it makes no damn sense to be spending that much cap space on your goalies. A goalie like Price earning $10.5 million per shouldn't need an expensive back-up just to get them into the postseason. He should be able to do most of the heavy lifting himself. Of course we know that he can't and is therefore overpaid. The answer is to get some other team to pay him, either whole or in part, so that you have money to spend elsewhere.

If Seattle takes Price and actually wants to keep him, great. We now have Allen and a ton of cap space. If they take Price and flip him back, the Habs save cap space also.

We have to remember that Price is never getting back to a final. What we saw this season was the high point. Once you accept that this is all there is or is going to be with him, moving on from him is a lot easier to digest.

Price… not sure if it’s worth the risk to ensure Allen is kept instead of Byron, Kulak, etc. I take it back if Bergevin got a direct confirmation from Francis himself, or has some brilliant scheme cooked up.
Look at it this way, if the Habs simply wanted to trade Price, who in their right minds would take on that contract? After all, there's only one Bergevin and he's already got Price. The contract is what makes Price untradeable and it's what also makes it unnecessary to put him on the protected list. Same with Weber. A GM would need to have a screw loose to touch that contract.

Probably, but I don’t see how the team competes in the next few years without Price, except if they add free agents or vets with similar huge contracts
It isn't competitive now. Forget that playoff run. It was an illusion and the circumstances which even made it possible no longer exist. The reality of this team is that it is, save for a small core of very young players, garbage. In a normal season they wouldn't make the playoffs and next season will be a normal one. What this franchise needs to do is stop obsessing over short term success and play the long game. They need to dismantle this roster, get rid of anyone and everyone on the wrong side of 30 and start from scratch. I'm sick and tired of hearing about what the fans will and will not accept with regard to a rebuild. The fans have proven time and time again that they will put up with whatever they are told to put up with and will do so with a smile.

This team is like crack to the fanbase. We're talking about people who forked over thousands of dollars to buy a ticket to a single playoff game without blinking an eye. You're telling me someone with that severe an addiction is going to go off the Habs cold turkey because they decide to do a proper tear-down and rebuild? Please.

Because majority of fans would be pissed off to lose Price and end up with Allen-Primeau.

They'd be pissed off...but they wouldn't stop buying tickets. Literally nothing stops them. This fanbase has become so Leafish that all Molson has to do is nail two planks of wood together, slap a CH logo on it and Habs fans will line up and demand that he take their money. The days of this team not being able to sell tickets just because it's a perennial failure are sadly long gone. The product now sells itself and it scarcely matters anymore who wears the uniform. 20 random warm bodies will do.

I am just reading now and I thought we could find a team to trade Price to, then have that team retain salary while we trade picks/prospects back. But the rule is we can't reacquire him for 1 year, so it would only work with Seattle right now I guess.

It isn't competitive now. Forget that playoff run. It was an illusion and the circumstances which even made it possible no longer exist. The reality of this team is that it is, save for a small core of very young players, garbage. In a normal season they wouldn't make the playoffs and next season will be a normal one. What this franchise needs to do is stop obsessing over short term success and play the long game. They need to dismantle this roster, get rid of anyone and everyone on the wrong side of 30 and start from scratch. I'm sick and tired of hearing about what the fans will and will not accept with regard to a rebuild. The fans have proven time and time again that they will put up with whatever they are told to put up with and will do so with a smile.

This team is like crack to the fanbase. We're talking about people who forked over thousands of dollars to buy a ticket to a single playoff game without blinking an eye. You're telling me someone with that severe an addiction is going to go off the Habs cold turkey because they decide to do a proper tear-down and rebuild? Please.
No, it's not garbage. Your problem is that you refuse to leave 1977 but I encourage you do so.

No, it's not garbage. Your problem is that you refuse to leave 1977 but I encourage you do so.
You are what your record says you are. They were an 18th place club last season. Sure, that's better than the 24th place team they were the season before, but it's still garbage.

You are what your record says you are. They were an 18th place club last season. Sure, that's better than the 24th place team they were the season before, but it's still garbage.
It’s actually “mediocre” or “average” by definition but that’s not “garbage” by any means. Like I said, it’s not 1977. Deal with it.

It’s actually “mediocre” or “average” by definition but that’s not “garbage” by any means. Like I said, it’s not 1977. Deal with it.
Other teams are allowed to be mediocre or average. Not the Habs. They are either elite or they are garbage. The standards don't change. It just takes the fanbase to enforce those standards. Obviously if the fans demonstrate to management and ownership that mediocrity is good enough, then mediocrity is all we'll ever get. Demand excellence. Refuse to tolerate less than excellence.

They say on the radio that Seravelli reported that Francis has the ok to draft Price from the ownership group. Damn... this is exciting!

Back