• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Season Ending State of the Union / Expansion Draft Thread

Price to Seattle is a real possibility, he checks all the boxes for Seattle, minus the contract. I do think they can easily draft a team and fit Price's contract in it. Of all the bad contract exposed in the draft, it might be the most interesting of the group as they player still provide a lot of value.
Keep in mind Seattle HAS to select 3-goalies - is Francis willing to spend 14-17% ( $15M+) of his cap on goaltending?

All of a sudden that only leaves $66M for the an actual hockey team...

Last edited:
Sure they were in the easiest top 4 division

There is only one way to prove it

Do it this year in a standard 82 game schedule

LG its a fact ....24th and 18th ......dont make the playoffs

The last 2 years were Christmas gifts ..... lets enjoy the ride it provided
Fact is that in 2020-21 18th does make the playoffs.. as far as them being in the easiest division that is your opinion,. the fact is no other division had the travel as the north did... like i said, using the Covid excuse goes both ways.

Keep in mind Seattle HAS to select 3-goalies - is Francis willing to spend 14-17% ( $15M+) of his cap on goaltending?
I went through the list of available players for each teams, some teams don't have any interesting skaters so picking up a cheap backup goalie is a one way to satisfy the draft requirements without being stuck with a bad contract. Like they could easily draft Tokarski from Buffalo just to check that box.

I went through the list of available players for each teams, some teams don't have any interesting skaters so picking up a cheap backup goalie is a one way to satisfy the draft requirements without being stuck with a bad contract. Like they could easily draft Tokarski from Buffalo just to check that box.
Price can’t play 50GP+ during the regular season going forward, which means Seattle absolutely needs a solid backup.

Even Dreidger will cost $3M on his new deal, along w Tokaraki as a check in the box...that’s still $14M+ on goalies.

But they are gonna move 7 players, and at least one goalie, off the books before the season starts. It would be no different than Price + Allen.

But they are gonna move 7 players, and at least one goalie, off the books before the season starts. It would be no different than Price + Allen.
Except Habs have Caufield, Suzuki, KK, Romanov, and potentially Poehling who will play key roles at cheap cap hits, Seattle doesn’t have that option available to them.

VGK were able to take Fleury, because they had Karlsson, Marchessault, Tuch, Carrier, McNabb, and Theodore making peanuts - fellow GMs seem to have reamed Francis to not have such options available to him

Price can’t play 50GP+ during the regular season going forward, which means Seattle absolutely needs a solid backup.

Even Dreidger will cost $3M on his new deal, along w Tokaraki as a check in the box...that’s still $14M+ on goalies.

Yes, they'll need a decent backup, but they can deal with it after the draft. I don't think Dreidger signs for 3M$ when he can get a starting role somewhere else.

I am certain Francis never expected this in the days leading up to the ED. He prolly expected the usual "take my shit contract for 2nd round pick" bullshit, but the Price situation has thrown his entire plan he has been working towards the last 18 months. The minute he takes Price, he has to go with a veteran team and go for it. If he doesn't take Price, it's a bunch of WTF's all around.

I am certain Francis never expected this in the days leading up to the ED. He prolly expected the usual "take my shit contract for 2nd round pick" bullshit, but the Price situation has thrown his entire plan he has been working towards the last 18 months. The minute he takes Price, he has to go with a veteran team and go for it. If he doesn't take Price, it's a bunch of WTF's all around.
But if he takes Price how does he fill a VGK style competitive roster without having access to cheap contracts playing key roles w heavy TOI usage, since teams have flooded with the market w high cap hits or fringe/AHLers?

Francis is screwed...

But if he takes Price how does he fill a VGK style competitive roster without having access to cheap contracts playing key roles w heavy TOI usage, since teams have flooded with the market w high cap hits or fringe/AHLers?

Francis is screwed...

Good point... no more Tuchs or Theodores being thrown around to protect 4-5 level D

Francis is screwed...

There is quite a bit of talent available. I've been able to draft my expansion team with all of Price, Tarasenko and Van Riemsdyk. Plus he has an extra 7 players to trade or offload as needed. I don't think it's that big of an issue.

I looked at the lists and he can have a real good team out of the gate with Price in net.

In actuality he will be able to have a better team that Vegas on paper (although more expensive). Not sure it means a SCF birth.

I looked at the lists and he can have a real good team out of the gate with Price in net.

In actuality he will be able to have a better team that Vegas on paper (although more expensive). Not sure it means a SCF birth.
They will play in in the worst division in the NHL. They have a great chance to get a playoff spot in their first season. But DH is not a great coach.

They will play in in the worst division in the NHL. They have a great chance to get a playoff spot in their first season. But DH is not a great coach.
And Francis isn’t all that as a GM either, albeit he didn’t have spend luxury w Canes he’ll have w Seattle

Price is gone in my mind. Habs need to start looking for a number 1 option starting now. Next season will need to be a bad one and we can add another good prospect to the ranks.

Back