• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Shane Wright

If Wright ends up being a two-way but somewhat unspectacular C like Toews/O'Reilly, but Cooley ends up being an Yzerman/Sakic type, would Wright end up being considered a bust? I guess a bit disappointing relatively, but not a bust.
Not if we win. And also, I find it hilarious how everyone is like what if Cooley or Slaf end up being Sakic or Jagr and Wright a two way. What if Wright ends up being a 90-100 C? Just as easily and more likely to happen. Cooley and Slaf can end up being 2nd/3rd liners

Not if we win. And also, I find it hilarious how everyone is like what if Cooley or Slaf end up being Sakic or Jagr and Wright a two way. What if Wright ends up being a 90-100 C? Just as easily and more likely to happen. Cooley and Slaf can end up being 2nd/3rd liners

Exactly

The only thing with Wright is he wont have the luxury right away of playing with a legit finisher if Nick and CC stay in place

Slaf will have Hughes and Cooley is doomed in Zona for now

Exactly

The only thing with Wright is he wont have the luxury right away of playing with a legit finisher if Nick and CC stay in place

Slaf will have Hughes and Cooley is doomed in Zona for now
Wright has plenty of wingers to set up here if they start him in the show. Hoffman, Gally, Drouin, Anderson. I mean they suck but if he can set them up like he does, they have the talent to finish

Wright has plenty of wingers to set up here if they start him in the show. Hoffman, Gally, Drouin, Anderson. I mean they suck but if he can set them up like he does, they have the talent to finish

Yup, they suck :D

Thats why I dangle the Calgary pick to move up

26 and 33 to get Columbus’ #12 or Buffalo’s #16. They have earlier picks and might be easier to persuade. Another option is to target a team that doesn’t have a 2nd rd pick, e.g. Canucks at 15.

26 and 33 to get Columbus’ #12 or Buffalo’s #16. They have earlier picks and might be easier to persuade. Another option is to target a team that doesn’t have a 2nd rd pick, e.g. Canucks at 15.

Buffalo is doable , CBJ doubt they move down

I think the whole point of drafting Cooley/Slaf is based on the assumption they have higher upside, which Wright apparently doesn't have, and we could be missing out on a potential Sakic/Jagr. Barring that, there's really no reason to not pick Wright based on the publicly available stats/info. That said, we're not privy to the in-depth scouting reports/interview stuff the teams have, but he seems to have aced in the interview at least.

Wright has plenty of upside, that’s just silly.But he hasn’t shown as much dynamism in his game this year compared to the other two, so scouts are trying to extrapolate based on that.

I think the whole point of drafting Cooley/Slaf is based on the assumption they have higher upside, which Wright apparently doesn't have, and we could be missing out on a potential Sakic/Jagr. Barring that, there's really no reason to not pick Wright based on the publicly available stats/info. That said, we're not privy to the in-depth scouting reports/interview stuff the teams have, but he seems to have aced in the interview at least.
Author and journalist Malcolm Gladwell has written about how these psych interviews that teams do with prospective draft picks (specifically the Wonderlic) are basically bullshit and tell you nothing about the person you're trying to interview. As an example, the thoroughly mediocre Tony Romo aced the Wonderlic but Terry Bradshaw, who was famously dimwitted (an opponent once said that Bradshaw couldn't spell the word "cat" if you spotted him the "c" and the "t") won 4 Superbowls. He also doesn't think much of draft combines. Being able to run the 40 yard dash or having a great vertical jump isn't the same as being able to actually play football and the results bear this out time and time again.

Obviously if you're Hughes, you want to have a sit-down with Wright but you don't need to speak with him in order to know if he can play hockey.

Author and journalist Malcolm Gladwell has written about how these psych interviews that teams do with prospective draft picks (specifically the Wonderlic) are basically bullshit and tell you nothing about the person you're trying to interview. As an example, the thoroughly mediocre Tony Romo aced the Wonderlic but Terry Bradshaw, who was famously dimwitted (an opponent once said that Bradshaw couldn't spell the word "cat" if you spotted him the "c" and the "t") won 4 Superbowls. He also doesn't think much of draft combines. Being able to run the 40 yard dash or having a great vertical jump isn't the same as being able to actually play football and the results bear this out time and time again.

Obviously if you're Hughes, you want to have a sit-down with Wright but you don't need to speak with him in order to know if he can play hockey.

Interviews are essential at the combines but some of the silly drills do nothing but overhype players

I used to like Gladwell a lot but some of his stuff is cringey once you read stuff by the actual experts (compare his "Blink" with "Thinking Fast and Slow" as written by a Nobel Prize winner on the same topics).

That said, I do agree some of these Wonderlic and combine stuff are overrated to pump up draft hype. (Like that video of a 22-year old Tom Brady looking like he just ate a box of donuts while doing gym class running drills). I was thinking more of busts Daigle and Yakupov who seemed like douches who were doomed to failure based on what some former insiders said about them in hindsight.

Again, for all two of you who hate paywalls, look away!

Still looks like more people are confident in Wright. There 2 sum it up best for me.

Executive 2: “It’s definitely Wright for me. You look at the body of work between him and the alternatives and it’s not even close. I don’t know where this debate came from all of a sudden.”

Executive 3: “It would be Wright for me. He scored 39 goals as a U16. Nine goals and 14 points at the U18s as an underage. He’s a right-shot center with size, scoring touch and has a two-way game. Slafkovsky has closed the gap but I’m taking Wright and sleeping peacefully that night about it.”

Still looks like more people are confident in Wright. There 2 sum it up best for me.
"You look at the body of work between him and the alternatives and it’s not even close."

That was my take as well. It's not so much what Wright has done relative to Slafkovsky or Cooley, but what he has done against the superior competition of the OHL compared to the other two, who have played against competition which IMO is inferior to and less NHL-like than the OHL. He is more of a sure thing because he's done things against competition that is more like what he'll face in the NHL than the other two guys who are practically playing a different sport.

Back