• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Shane Wright

That's the only efficient way to look at it imo because of the lack of games and scouting during the pandemic. That's not Wright's fault.
if Slafkovsky was the next Lafleur or if he were a center and not a winger, maybe, just maybe you give it a thought. But as it stands, no way. It's Wright all day, every day.

Listen, it's not that unlikely that Slafkovsky will be better offensively and that is what most fair weather fans look at. I won't care much as long as Wright comes as described.
There's a realistic chance that Slaf with put up better offense early on. As a winger on a weak team he likely gets more toi earlier. Of course a center will be brought along a little slower and have more responsibility outside of scoring.

It’s interesting that most execs chose Wright while most of the scouts opted for Slaf

Last edited:
Can't be fired for taking the consensus 1OA and make no mistake, Wright is still consensus.

It would still be a mistake. You take the best player available... especially if that player is a center... I don't care if you're "set" at center.

The gap isnt that large , BPA debate is not McDavid vs Eichel

If I had Sid and Malkin 24 and under , I am taking Slaf who will be a star next to one of them

There's a realistic chance that Slaf with put up better offense early on. As a winger on a weak team he likely gets more toi earlier. Of course a center will be brought along a little slower and have more responsibility outside of scoring.

With Jack Hughes he should do well right away

Wright will not have that luxury of a good winger with CC attached to Nick for now

Still looks like more people are confident in Wright. There 2 sum it up best for me.
As the NJD head scout was quoted as saying, the scouting community expects this draft to be a repeat of 2017 where all season was talk of Hischier vs Nolan Patrick w everyone knowing neither were generational players but 5-years post draft the 3-5 picks are head & shoulders the best picks of the draft (Heiskanen, Makar, Pettersson)

As the NJD head scout was quoted as saying, the scouting community expects this draft to be a repeat of 2017 where all season was talk of Hischier vs Nolan Patrick w everyone knowing neither were generational players but 5-years post draft the 3-5 picks are head & shoulders the best picks of the draft (Heiskanen, Makar, Pettersson)

Every draft has a top 10 redo list , the obvious CMD , AM go number 1

The redrafts would look totally different 5 years down the road

Laine looked pretty good at first, too.
100%

To "fans" who don't understand the nuances of hockey, Laine appeared to be as good as Matthews for a couple seasons. Ovechkin appeared to be better than Crosby at first.

Of course Ovechkin turned out to be arguably the greatest goal scorer in history, so it's not absurd to claim he was/is as good as Crosby... but that's not really the point.

If Laine cared half as much about hockey as he does (allegedly) about video games, he'd be the Finnish Ovechkin.

He's got a once in a decade talent at scoring, but he just doesn't care. He's always behaved like hockey's one of those things that he's good at, and whatever. Take his natural gifts and put Brendan Gallagher's mindset? You might have the best player in hockey.

Back