• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

So who's the next (faux) GM?

How is your French , but you cant afford the pay cut
I think I'd manage. Give me a few weeks in Montreal and it would be fine.

I don't know if I'd take the job if I wasn't allowed to rebuild. It's a bloody mess.

Nah, I'd take it.

Come on man, you worked in media, if you're planning on picking an unpopular pick you go through the motions making it appear that after an exhaustive search they decided Hughes was the best candidate. It's been done many times before.

That being said, I think when Molson hears Hughes speak French he will decide otherwise

exactly...when everyone in the media has the same hunch, it's probably wrong

Come on man, you worked in media, if you're planning on picking an unpopular pick you go through the motions making it appear that after an exhaustive search they decided Hughes was the best candidate. It's been done many times before.

That being said, I think when Molson hears Hughes speak French he will decide otherwise
They would still need to interview the other candidates, or else they would be exposed. The fix might be in, but they will proceed with the charade.

I think that if they're going to hire a puppet to be GM, hello Daniel Brière, hiring a Castonguay/Raiche type to be an assistant and get their feet wet to be the eventual heir possibly, then cool.

What I've always hated with the diversity movement is the same thing as the language issue in the Habs organization: If you've set your mind on the notion that, "We're going to hire women!" or "Our next GM/coach has to speak French!", then the question will always be fairly asked whether the person hired was the actual best candidate available or simply the best candidate of said gender and/or capacity of the spoken language.

I think that if they're going to hire a puppet to be GM, hello Daniel Brière, hiring a Castonguay/Raiche type to be an assistant and get their feet wet to be the eventual heir possibly, then cool.

What I've always hated with the diversity movement is the same thing as the language issue in the Habs organization: If you've set your mind on the notion that, "We're going to hire women!" or "Our next GM/coach has to speak French!", then the question will always be fairly asked whether the person hired was the actual best candidate available or simply the best candidate of said gender and/or capacity of the spoken language.
Well the old question unfairly didn't asked whether the person hired was the actual best candidate available or simply the best white male candidate with the capacity of the spoken language.

So this would be progress.

Why pay Jeff Gorton at least $5-$6 million per for multiple seasons and NOT have him be the de-facto GM?

Well the old question unfairly didn't asked whether the person hired was the actual best candidate available or simply the best white male candidate with the capacity of the spoken language.

So this would be progress.
This isn't progress, it's regression.

Progression would be doing the opposite: Hiring based purely on merit, with no consideration of race, gender or language. Which is what every successful company does. We are the onl majory pro sports franchise in North America that doesn't hire based purely on who the best candidate is.

Announcing with pride that you're hiring someone where the language they speak (or tin this case, their gender) is more important than their competences will always have an asterix that will lead to speculation: If you weren't a woman and/or you didn't speak French, would you have ever gotten the job?

No other organization will ever have this scrutiny. The Toronto Maple Leafs hired Hailey Wickenheiser and Danielle Goyette, Seattle hired Cami Granato, and nobody questioned it, you know why? Because they don't give a fuck that they're women. They're hockey lifers and have a wealth of knowledge.

Until this organization truly stops playing these identity politics games, they will always handicap themselves.

This is all because of the Mailloux fiasco and Molson thinking its his only way to save face and restore his “reputation”. The real problem with this organization is Molson himself.
It’s much much more than Mailloux….this is the way all corporate entities are presently operating - there’s a huge movement in promoting women into senior levels of management

Also remember Dubas has hired quite a bit of diversity into the Leafs org, Molson knows Habs have been left behind in the dust

Back