• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

So who's the next (faux) GM?

That’s what 50 years ago , totally different optics now

My buddy ‘s dad was a principal at 23 after teaching for half a year back in the 60’s , not happening in today’s world
Eric Tulsky Canes AGM (but really the day to day acting GM) had zero background in hockey as in not knowing what a puck was until being named AGM based on his analytics abilities and given full hockey ops authority on stamping trades, UFA signings, draft picks and contract deals

Eric Tulsky Canes AGM (but really the day to day acting GM) had zero background in hockey as in not knowing what a puck was until being named AGM based on his analytics abilities and given full hockey ops authority on stamping trades, UFA signings, draft picks and contract deals

The Canes are not the Habs that comes with scrutiny , they could hire the leader of Isis and no one would care

Plus you mentioned he is AGM , not GM

ET has been in the organization 7 years and his first as AGM

He grew up the ranks as a part timer to Analysis to running the Analytics department and other key functions

He will be Waddel’s replacement one day

Big difference than handing the job to someone just because they speak French and spent no time in the game learning or taking a smaller role with the Habs first

The Canes are not the Habs that comes with scrutiny , they could hire the leader of Isis and no one would care

He grew up the ranks as a part timer to Analysis to running the Analytics department and other key functions

Big difference than handing the job to someone just because they speak French and spent no time in the game learning or taking a smaller role with the Habs first
Exactly. Wake me when the Canes win anything. And you know how things go in Montreal. They'll hire a ti-gars and after one season the media will be calling for him to be the sole person in charge no matter how well or badly he performs.

That’s the point though, Dundon mandated from the time he came on board that “all hockey ops player decisions need to be authorized by Tulsky”… he is the defacto GM. Waddell is only there to talk to the media as a mouthpiece

Opinion of Dr. John Campbell?

My dad has been addicted to him through the pandemic.

My dad has been very nervous about Corona until lately.

This doc is fairly Bullish on this being more mild.

Seems to use figures to spread hope.

That’s the point though, Dundon mandated from the time he came on board that “all hockey ops player decisions need to be authorized by Tulsky”… he is the defacto GM. Waddell is only there to talk to the media as a mouthpiece

Thats my point , ET wasnt GM the second he got a job with the Canes ......you learn the ropes and earn your stripes

Thats my point , ET wasnt GM the second he got a job with the Canes ......you learn the ropes and earn your stripes
This is not the typical GM post. Jeff Gorton is the de facto GM. You don’t have to hire someone with NHL experience, just someone smart who can work with, I mean under, Gorton, and be okay with that.

This is not the typical GM post. Jeff Gorton is the de facto GM. You don’t have to hire someone with NHL experience.

Agreed , Gorton runs the entire show

I wonder if he has full carte blanche on hockey personnel decisions without needing numb nuts approval

The GM hire will require Jeff`s approval to appease the media

I agree this is Gorton's show, with him at the top of the food chain from the hockey management standpoint.
That said, I still want the best hockey person they can find to be the GM, regardless of it is not a traditional GM's role this time around.
I don't just want someone to be the "public face" of the front office while Gorton quietly works in the background. I want someone who can legitimately bring their own ideas, have the ability to express them and actually bring something to the table.
If you have a chance to gather the biggest and brightest hockey minds out there, why not do that?

These are the eight supposedly getting interviews:

Daniel Brière
Émilie Castonguay
Mathieu Darche
Marc Denis
Kent Hughes
Stéphane Quintal
Patrick Roy
Danièle Sauvageau

This is not the typical GM post. Jeff Gorton is the de facto GM. You don’t have to hire someone with NHL experience, just someone smart who can work with, I mean under, Gorton, and be okay with that.
And be fluent in French

Same. However there is not a candidate in this list that would upset me, nor is there anyone especially standing out.
It doesn't matter who they hire as GM. It's an empty title. It exists only because Geoff Molson is a complete wuss. Gorton is the actual GM. They could hire you as the "GM" and I'd be fine with it.

I prefer Darche simply for the access to lightning knowledge
Let me help w Lightning’s knowledge - Stevie Y worked NHL HQ when concussion lawsuits were starting to percolate in 2010 and had front row seats to what was about to unfold.

Upon being named GM of TBay, he zigged and went with pure skill (Johnson, Kucherov, Point) when everyone else zagged as NHL teams always do following the Bruins & Kings Cup teams, until publicity of lawsuits forced a more speed & skill game with less physicality.

That 4-year window (2011-2015) gave TBay the advantage, combined with leverage Al Murray’s 5-yr window of contacts, till teams started catching up.

Drache & Brisebois have had squat to do with the core of TBay, but Brisebois succeeded where Stevie Y couldn’t in properly identifying playoff grit

Last edited:
Let me help w Lightning’s knowledge - Stevie Y worked NHL HQ when concussion lawsuits were starting to percolate in 2010 and had front row seats to what was about to unfold.

Upon being named GM of TBay, he zigged and went with pure skill (Johnson, Kucherov, Point) when everyone else zagged as NHL teams always do following the Bruins & Kings Cup teams, until publicity of lawsuits forced a more speed & skill game with less physicality.

That 4-year window (2011-2015) gave TBay the advantage, combined with leverage Al Murray’s 5-yr window of contacts, till teams started catching up.

Drache & Brisebois have had squat to do with the core of TBay, but Brisebois succeeded where Stevie Y couldn’t in properly identifying playoff grit
That’s about right re: Brisesbois. He put the finishing touches on the team. BTW, you’re killing me with your posts at HF in the GM thread. Most of those posters seem to think the GM will be in charge of the rebuild. Lol.

Back