• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

So who's the next (faux) GM?

Let me help w Lightning’s knowledge - Stevie Y worked NHL HQ when concussion lawsuits were starting to percolate in 2010 and had front row seats to what was about to unfold.

Upon being named GM of TBay, he zigged and went with pure skill (Johnson, Kucherov, Point) when everyone else zagged as NHL teams always do following the Bruins & Kings Cup teams, until publicity of lawsuits forced a more speed & skill game with less physicality.

That 4-year window (2011-2015) gave TBay the advantage, combined with leverage Al Murray’s 5-yr window of contacts, till teams started catching up.

Drache & Brisebois have had squat to do with the core of TBay, but Brisebois succeeded where Stevie Y couldn’t in properly identifying playoff grit
Once you get past your blindness...

Darche has contacts the others don't. I wouldn't mind poaching off them like they did us.

Once you get past your blindness...

Darche has contacts the others don't. I wouldn't mind poaching off them like they did us.
TBays draft has sucked for 6-years+ now.

Recall my infamous 4-5 year window for even the most elite chief scouts - Al Murray’s time seems to have been done at 2015 draft

I agree about Darche if for no other reason than he’s reportedly very close to Molson

Last edited:
It doesn't matter who they hire as GM. It's an empty title. It exists only because Geoff Molson is a complete wuss. Gorton is the actual GM. They could hire you as the "GM" and I'd be fine with it.
I think they'll have more responsibilities than that but yes, Gorton is why I'm comfortable with most choices. I'd love the gig myself though. :)

Recall my infamous 4-5 year window for even the most elite chief scouts - Al Murray’s time seems to have been done at 2015 draft

I agree about Darche if for no other reason than he’s reportedly very close to Molson

I'm more looking for first hand knowledge about TB development program, which seems to be on a completely different level from the rest of the league.

I'm more looking for first hand knowledge about TB development program, which seems to be on a completely different level from the rest of the league.
How so? How much development did Hedman, Stamkos, Kucherov, Point, Cirelli, Vasilevsky really need or get? Did any of that core drafted by Stevie Y even spend more than half a season in the AHL? Pre Stevie Y picks Kilorn & Palat did.

For all the talk of Groulx developing players, Joseph, Colton, Raddysh, Katchouk, Fortier, Elie, Foote all suck the ding dong and are no better than the Habs Laval fodder

If anything, and it hurts me to say this… the Make Beliefs seem to have a solid development program

Last edited:

Oh then I don't want him. Seriously.

How so? How much development did Hedman, Stamkos, Kucherov, Point, Cirelli, Vasilevsky really need or get? Did any of that core drafted by Stevie Y even spend more than half a season in the AHL? Pre Stevie Y picks Kilorn & Palat did.

For all the talk of Groulx developing players, Joseph, Colton, Raddysh, Katchouk, Fortier, Elie, Foote all suck the ding dong and are no better than the Habs Laval fodder

If anything, and it hurts me to say this… the Make Beliefs seem to have a solid development program

You probably missed the part where they worked with Point intensively on his skating to become what it is now.

And it's just not draftees, guys like Marchessault and Gourde also went through Tampa development program.

Everything i heard from Tampa is that they are very intentional about customizing development for each players to maximize their strength and strengthen their weaknesses. I've picked up the same elements in comments from Toronto.

Also, unlike Montreal, they seem to be able to develop players further once in the NHL, something we seem unable to do.

He was still part of that and therefore got some experience with the system they have and won 2 cups in the last couple of years. That's more than any other candidate being looked at right now. I don't even know why this is an argument, there is no one from the leafs org being considered anyways.

He was still part of that and therefore got some experience with the system they have and won 2 cups in the last couple of years. That's more than any other candidate being looked at right now. I don't even know why this is an argument, there is no one from the leafs org being considered anyways.
You’re right. It’s not an argument so I’m not sure why you’re making it. Darche might be a good candidate but not for the reason you’ve given: he was there so he must have seen something he can bring here. Please.

Last edited:
You probably missed the part where they worked with Point intensively on his skating to become what it is now.

And it's just not draftees, guys like Marchessault and Gourde also went through Tampa development program.

Everything i heard from Tampa is that they are very intentional about customizing development for each players to maximize their strength and strengthen their weaknesses. I've picked up the same elements in comments from Toronto.

Also, unlike Montreal, they seem to be able to develop players further once in the NHL, something we seem unable to do.
Barb Underhill was hired on as consultant by Stevie Y the day after Point was drafted to help him work on his skating back in 2014, and a couple of years later as a full time employee of the Lightning…

Point early on his draft year was projected to be a 1st rounder and fell in the draft due to questions about his size & in particular poor skating

Darche was still trying to sell freight forwarding slots with Delmar at the time…

Last edited:
Let me help w Lightning’s knowledge - Stevie Y worked NHL HQ when concussion lawsuits were starting to percolate in 2010 and had front row seats to what was about to unfold.

Upon being named GM of TBay, he zigged and went with pure skill (Johnson, Kucherov, Point) when everyone else zagged as NHL teams always do following the Bruins & Kings Cup teams, until publicity of lawsuits forced a more speed & skill game with less physicality.

That 4-year window (2011-2015) gave TBay the advantage, combined with leverage Al Murray’s 5-yr window of contacts, till teams started catching up.

Drache & Brisebois have had squat to do with the core of TBay, but Brisebois succeeded where Stevie Y couldn’t in properly identifying playoff grit

Na, he zigged and lucked out on skilled talent , development went perfect

Your never winning squat without talent , its the core of your team .

Then you add the secondary ingredients , but only and only if your core cake ingredients make the base

You can play copy cat game but without skill your done

JB put the finishing touches but it was the skill that led the way , Goodrow and Coleman are ingredients 8-9 on a cup team

That’s about right re: Brisesbois. He put the finishing touches on the team. BTW, you’re killing me with your posts at HF in the GM thread. Most of those posters seem to think the GM will be in charge of the rebuild. Lol.

The HF posters are Vito from Woodbridge or a 20 year old who watches the game on their cell phone

Na, he zigged and lucked out on skilled talent , development went perfect

Your never winning squat without talent , its the core of your team .

Then you add the secondary ingredients , but only and only if your core cake ingredients make the base

You can play copy cat game but without skill your done

JB put the finishing touches but it was the skill that led the way , Goodrow and Coleman are ingredients 8-9 on a cup team
He didn’t luck out, Kucherov was highly regarded by scouts for his talent but two factors came into play dropping him out of 1st round.

Back in 2011 Russian players preferred KHL $ route vs joining NHL on ELC $, which is why Kuznetsov dropped so far to late 1st round in 2010, and secondly there were questions is Kucherov could handle the physical NA game - skill level was never a question

Yes , but they are soft as butter when the war starts

Point is most of those TB picks would of flopped with us , they develop well Habs dont

Yes , but they are soft as butter when the war starts

Point is most of those TB picks would of flopped with us , they develop well Habs dont
What helped most of them was developing in a non traditional hockey market - where mistakes are not overblown or achievements over celebrated

How does someone implement a non traditional development environment in Mtl? Good f*ckin luck

Back