• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

So who's the next (faux) GM?

He didn’t luck out, Kucherov was highly regarded by scouts for his talent but two factors came into play dropping him out of 1st round.

Back in 2011 Russian players preferred KHL $ route vs joining NHL on ELC $, which is why Kuznetsov dropped so far to late 1st round in 2010, and secondly there were questions is Kucherov could handle the physical NA game - skill level was never a question

Skill was never a question for many busts ....Kuch had more questions marks on him

This was a player who way exceeded expectations and good on TB

You probably missed the part where they worked with Point intensively on his skating to become what it is now.

And it's just not draftees, guys like Marchessault and Gourde also went through Tampa development program.

Everything i heard from Tampa is that they are very intentional about customizing development for each players to maximize their strength and strengthen their weaknesses. I've picked up the same elements in comments from Toronto.

Also, unlike Montreal, they seem to be able to develop players further once in the NHL, something we seem unable to do.

Bingo , Point was a below average skater in junior so was Raddysh and Boris K ( watched them live many items in the OHL )

The common theme is you only need a 3-5 year window of solid draft and development to build your core

TB , simply is great at identifying and putting players in proper roles .

Barb Underhill was hired on as consultant by Stevie Y the day after Point was drafted to help him work on his skating back in 2014, and a couple of years later as a full time employee of the Lightning…

Point early on his draft year was projected to be a 1st rounder and fell in the draft due to questions about his size & in particular poor skating

Darche was still trying to sell freight forwarding slots with Delmar at the time…

I'm not saying Darche has anything to do with any of that, but there is clearly a successful philosophy and culture in that organization and a very successful development program. If he can bring that here that would be great, if he can't then fuck him.

What helped most of them was developing in a non traditional hockey market - where mistakes are not overblown or achievements over celebrated

How does someone implement a non traditional development environment in Mtl? Good f*ckin luck
You do that the way it's always been successfully done, you leave them in development programs until they are fully ready and then you put them in position to succeed in the proper role for their skills and you trust them to perform.

We do the exact opposite at every step.

You do that the way it's always been successfully done, you leave them in development programs until they are fully ready and then you put them in position to succeed in the proper role for their skills and you trust them to perform.

We do the exact opposite at every step.

MB’s line “the player decides us for through their performance” was incredibly shortsighted.

that thinking elevates random small sample sizes in training camp and current team needs over any long term thoughtful strategy

The HF posters are Vito from Woodbridge or a 20 year old who watches the game on their cell phone

There's about 1% decent posters there. Most are real fanboys who think we are winning the cup every year and every prospect we have has 1st line potential. I guess it's good in a certain way but it's hard to filter out the real posters there.

What helped most of them was developing in a non traditional hockey market - where mistakes are not overblown or achievements over celebrated

How does someone implement a non traditional development environment in Mtl? Good f*ckin luck

It starts first with putting together a better development program than the shit show Habs have had
had for decades .

Environment or barriers are an excuse , if you have fools running the show.

Team has the resources but not the brains to do it

This is simply 100% on a poor regime , nothing else

TB has zero advantage on the Habs , the environment doesn’t draft bad players or ruin developing players

It starts first with putting together a better development program than the shit show Habs have had
had for decades .

Environment or barriers are an excuse , if you have fools running the show.

Team has the resources but not the brains to do it

This is simply 100% on a poor regime , nothing else

TB has zero advantage on the Habs , the environment doesn’t draft bad players or ruin developing players

I wouldn't say zero, taxes, beaches and lower scrutiny are definitely advantages for an organization, but besides the less intense media scrutiny, the others don't impact development.

Plus most Canadian teams besides Edmonton are able to develop players, same as other original six teams. It's purely incompetence.

I wouldn't say zero, taxes, beaches and lower scrutiny are definitely advantages for an organization, but besides the less intense media scrutiny, the others don't impact development.

Plus most Canadian teams besides Edmonton are able to develop players, same as other original six teams. It's purely incompetence.

Strictly referring to draft/ development of players or resources attached to it

The players take their boats to work. Dead serious.

Strictly referring to draft/ development of players or resources attached to it
The intensively bipolar media and fan base as well as the pressure to have local talent on the team are disadvantages. Ironically Tampa has done way better about developing Quebec players.

The intensively bipolar media and fan base as well as the pressure to have local talent on the team are disadvantages. Ironically Tampa has done way better about developing Quebec players.

They made no effort to draft local even when the opportunity was there ....ie Guehle instead of HL

If they tried and it didnt work fine, but its the opposite

You’re right. It’s not an argument so I’m not sure why you’re making it. Darche might be a good candidate but not for the reason you’ve given: he was there so he must have seen something he can bring here. Please.
Exactly. Once upon a time Bergevin was hired as GM based on the same "success by association" theory. He was being paid by Chicago when they won the Cup ergo he must know something. We all know how that turned out.

I agree this is Gorton's show, with him at the top of the food chain from the hockey management standpoint.
That said, I still want the best hockey person they can find to be the GM, regardless of it is not a traditional GM's role this time around.
I don't just want someone to be the "public face" of the front office while Gorton quietly works in the background. I want someone who can legitimately bring their own ideas, have the ability to express them and actually bring something to the table.
If you have a chance to gather the biggest and brightest hockey minds out there, why not do that?
Because "gathering the biggest and brightest hockey minds out there" isn't the mandate for filling this particular job opening. Finding someone who speaks French is the one and only qualification that matters here.

They've been doing this for close to 40 years now and over that time it has become an unbreakable rule that the Habs GM must speak French (and, if we're being honest, must not merely speak French but actually BE French). The one thing that has changed is that they found a way around their own rule. They've hired Gorton to manage but are just not calling him the manager and are making him hire someone who will have the title of manager. And that job, as usual, will still have but one real qualification: French. The only difference is that the manager won't actually manage.

Because "gathering the biggest and brightest hockey minds out there" isn't the mandate for filling this particular job opening. Finding someone who speaks French is the one and only qualification that matters here.

They've been doing this for close to 40 years now and over that time it has become an unbreakable rule that the Habs GM must speak French (and, if we're being honest, must not merely speak French but actually BE French). The one thing that has changed is that they found a way around their own rule. They've hired Gorton to manage but are just not calling him the manager and are making him hire someone who will have the title of manager. And that job, as usual, will still have but one real qualification: French. The only difference is that the manager won't actually manage.

No one will have a better GM gig in the league

Speak French and or be French but have no GM duties ....just be told what to do and speak to the media

No one will have a better GM gig in the league

Speak French and or be French but have no GM duties ....just be told what to do and speak to the media
I know, right? I mean literally any francophone could do this job, from Jean Reno to Ginette Reno to a stock boy from Reno Depot. From Gilbert Dionne to Celine Dion.

Back