• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

So who's the next (faux) GM?

BTW, I wanted Alex Anthopoulous when he was avail years ago. He could have learned the intricacies of the sport.

BTW, Serge Savard is such an embarrassment— saw him on RDS and the only names he suggested were ex players like Roy, Carbo, Damphousse.... I guess he hasn’t followed the game in two decades
lol don't forget Stephane Quintal like fk are we pathetic or what?

Like wearing the fucking sweater magically transfers whatever talent you had as a player to any hockey related department. A billion dollar biz run like a Mom and Pop corner store.

Looks like those days are finally over now that Gorton is here

Last edited:
Like wearing the fucking sweater magically transfers whatever talent you had as a player to any hockey related department. A billion dollar biz run like a Mom and Pop corner store.

Now he just has to find a Norris Trophy winner and top ten in the league forward who only want to play for the Habs.

Intangibles are probably more important for a GM than a player. Just saying.

Jeff Gorton is MB’s replacement, regardless of his title.

So you are saying he will negotiate contracts and manage trades? I assumed all the important player management was done by the General Manager. For instance at the draft, will Gorton be there if he's the guy running the show? I don't mind him, I just don't understand the point of having a GM then.

So you are saying he will negotiate contracts and manage trades? I assumed all the important player management was done by the General Manager. For instance at the draft, will Gorton be there if he's the guy running the show? I don't mind him, I just don't understand the point of having a GM then.
Primary function to speak to the francophone media (media relations role) + tactical administration role (paperwork) + starting hockey ops role to use for grooming potential successors + all around lackey role

Now if a young Brisebois can be found, then the role becomes an important contract negotiations function because Gorton isn’t good at contract negotiations & he doesn’t particularly care for any of the administration functions or media relations

bottom line: it’s a bunch of corporate speak for upgraded titles to circumvent the language / political headaches associated with naming a unilingual Anglo to traditional GM role:

EVP of Hockey Ops = GM
Future GM = AGM

Last edited:
Primary function to speak to the francophone media (media relations role) + tactical administration role (paperwork) + starting hockey ops role to use for grooming potential successors + all around lackey role

Now if a young Brisebois can be found, then the role becomes an important contract negotiations function because Gorton isn’t good at contract negotiations & he doesn’t particularly care for any of the administration functions or media relations

Yup, isnt Gorton going to turf the entire scouting - amateur and pro soon ?

Need to start prepping for this key upcoming draft

I honestly hope if it's an ex-player, that it's Briere....
He seems to be the early favorite, FWIW. I think it'll be him, Darche, Roy or Dallas Stars AGM Scott White (he's actually managed an AHL team successfully) if they're not too scared to hire another anglo (who's from Quebec and is fluently bilingual)

Hillary Clinton didn’t get elected for the top job… and didn’t assume the fetal position crying or whining in public.
That didn't stop her supporters from screaming sexism and misogyny from the rooftops when she was criticized. Sure, some of her detractors are women-hating trolls, but there were plenty of valid reasons not to support her too. But Geeman is right. Certain people get sacred cow status. It's fine to hire a woman, a person of color, a trans person, whatever. But in pro sports people are hired to get fired and when that day inevitably comes optics can work against you as much as they work for you the day you hire them.

That didn't stop her supporters from screaming sexism and misogyny from the rooftops when she was criticized. Sure, some of her detractors are women-hating trolls, but there were plenty of valid reasons not to support her too. But Geeman is right. Certain people get sacred cow status. It's fine to hire a woman, a person of color, a trans person, whatever. But in pro sports people are hired to get fired and when that day inevitably comes optics can work against you as much as they work for you the day you hire them.
so don't hire a woman because it's bad optics to fire her?

Sounds like good ol' boy justification to me.

so don't hire a woman because it's bad optics to fire her?

Sounds like good ol' boy justification to me.
Not that you shouldn't hire them, just that you need to keep in mind that firing them is potentially more perilous than hiring them so make sure you pick one who can actually do the job credibly and not just as a box ticking exercise. That way, the chances you'll ever need to get rid of them are diminished. But if you hire a woman simply because she's a woman and ignore everything else it's going to be a shit show if you have to get rid of her six months to a year later.

Technically this applies to anyone you hire. If you have to fire them right away it makes you look like you lack judgement.

When Branch Rickey was looking to break the color barrier in baseball, he knew that the first player had to be the player who wouldn't make a hash of things and make it impossible for subsequent black players to get into MLB. It wasn't just about talent. There were many black players with more on field talent than Jackie Robinson but Rickey knew that it was about much more than that. He was trying to change an entire system of institutionalized discrimination, not merely hire a one-off, token black player. The same approach needs to be taken by the Habs should they decide to entertain the idea of a diversity hire. It can't just be a token minority group person. It has to be the right one. In other words, they'll have to put more thought into it ahead of time than they usually do when hiring from the old boys club.

But I'm not arguing that they shouldn't bother doing it at all. It's worth whatever extra effort they need to expend. If they can find a good fit they should absolutely do it. And first and foremost they should absolutely be looking to do it and should be finding spots in other areas of the hockey business (like in Laval and TR) to get them into.

If Briere is the guy then Gorton may want to move quickly. Chuck Fletcher might be on bery shaky ground here in Philly.

Back