• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The Fucking Offseason Thread - Why bother waiting?

Goodrow? Hyman outscores palat who gets to play with point and kucherov, and gets more pp time to boot.
I'm not saying he's the same as that guy. Just that he'd get a contract like that one and be thought of as a bottom liner.

We created this impression that he's a top line player and he's really just not. He gets to look that way because his linemates are either Matty and Marner or Tavares and Nylander. Anyone playing with those guys looks better than they really are, and so now we either have to pay him like he's better or lose him to another team that will.

I'm not saying he's the same as that guy. Just that he'd get a contract like that one and be thought of as a bottom liner.

We created this impression that he's a top line player and he's really just not. He gets to look that way because his linemates are either Matty and Marner or Tavares and Nylander. Anyone playing with those guys looks better than they really are, and so now we either have to pay him like he's better or lose him to another team that will.
how do you explain him outproducing the other linemates that our big 4 have had?

So make the team worse by utilizing a good player in a lesser role in order to get him slightly cheaper down the road?

5.8 m x 4.5 years*
and Dom's model has him being worth over $5m in value up until 2025.

so 8 x $4 m is actually probably excellent value, with some obvious risk on the backend. perhaps mitigated if the cap does go up as we all originally expected.

will be interesting to see how the doob man plays this. and also whether Hyman wants to cash in or stay in TO

Can't say that any of that interests me for what I'm sure NYR is going to want for them.

There were some Buchnevich for Horvat murmurs last week though fwiw.
def no to Strome...ive seen enough of those, and georgiev is poo.

Buch maybe makes sense if you have a similarly priced thing that you want to swap for him (Horvat)

Trade deadline 19-20:

"
A solution has been talked about for the backup goalie situation and that's New York Rangers' goalie Alexandar Georgiev.

His cap hit at $792k is something the Leafs would be able to maneuver into their tight cap situation however the Rangers know that and are looking to milk the Leafs' for a quality asset.

According to James Mirtle of The Athletic, the Rangers want one of Kasperi Kapanen, Andreas Johnsson or Alexander Kerfoot in return. "

So make the team worse by utilizing a good player in a lesser role in order to get him slightly cheaper down the road?
No, I've never been a fan of him playing on the top two lines. Here and there, sure, but didn't like him as a mainstay. And as soon as they tried him with Mikky and Engvall, that was when I saw his true calling confirmed. He's best in that role, but because he got Matty and Tavares time, now he wants to be paid $6M+.

How do you explain him outproducing other first liners that play with elite linemates?
I don't know if whoever you're referring to are guys I'd consider real first liners or schlubs.

And maybe Matty and Marner are better than those other elite linemates.

I don't really care either way. Hyman isn't a first line talent. If we want to say he's the best of the third wheels, ok, but that's why I've been hoping for an add that would see another real first liner play on the top line, not a pretender who can do fine in the role but isn't really ideal for it.

Back